3 Arrested Over Britons Death

johnh101

Three people have been arrested in connection with the murder of a British bar owner in Thailand, police say.

Remains believed to be those of Toby Charnaud, 41, were found on his ex-wife Panada's property after he disappeared in March.

The ex-wife and two of her relatives were arrested by police pending the identification of the remains.

Mr Charnaud owned a Western-style bar called Rainbow in the beach and golf resort of Hua Hin.

Police searched the ex-wife's property after an investigation revealed that she may have been involved in his disappearance.

"We have found the burned remains and ashes on a plot of land that belongs to his ex-wife and we're detaining her and her relatives for questioning," said police Colonel Amnuay Warayavisut.

No charges have been filed yet, and the remains were being DNA tested, he added.

Mr Charnaud had a five-year-old son with Panada before they separated and he went to live with another Thai woman.

The Foreign Office has been in contact with Mr Charnaud's next of kin in the UK.

He was born in Cornwall and had lived in Thailand for several years, a spokeswoman said.

May 04, 2005

Missing Briton's wife arrested in Thailand..By Times Online and PA News

The ex-wife of a British bar owner in Thailand has been arrested for murder, after detectives found what they believe to be the burned remains of Toby Charnaud, 41.

Panada Charnaud was arrested along with two of her relatives after the grim find on land she owns.

Mr Charnaud, who has been missing since March, owned a Western-style bar called Rainbow in the beach and golf resort of Hua Hin.

After a lengthy investigation into his disappearance, police sent a team to search a jungle area in nearby Petchaburi province where remains, believed to be those of the Briton were found.

Police Colonel Amnuay Warayavisut said: “We have found the burned remains and ashes on a plot of land that belongs to his ex-wife and we’re detaining her and her relatives for questioning.”

Charnaud had a five-year-old son with Panada before they separated and he went to live with another Thai woman.

“At this moment the suspects are being detained for questioning on suspicion that they might have collaborated in killing the victim, but no charges have yet been filed,” the police colonel said.

The remains will be sent to the police forensic division for DNA testing.

Police sources said that Panada’s two male relatives had already confessed to investigators that they killed Charnaud and burned his body in the jungle. The motive for the killing was not known.

Raymond Kite, 62, a British resident of Hua Hin, described Mr Charnaud as a keen golfer who kept himself to himself: “We were all very shocked when we heard,” he said. “There were all kinds of stories but none of us really had a clue what had happened.”

A Foreign Office spokeswoman said officials were in contact with Mr Charnaud’s next of kin in the UK.

She said: “We are aware that remains have been found. Obviously those remains have to be identified so we are awaiting further information. We are aware that police have made a number of arrests in relation to this and we are keeping in touch with the authorities.”

Mr Charnaud was born in Cornwall and had lived in Thailand for some time, the spokeswoman said. :o

Times Online and PA News

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone have an update on the Toby Charnaud murder? I've checked various sources, but can't find anything later than the detention and questioning of wife and relatives. Is this simply another case of inaction by the Thai authorities, in the hope that the whole affair will eventually be forgotten. Or is it simply that my search engine isn't firing on all cylinders.

I knew Toby as a golfing acquaintance only, but really liked him from the first tee. Like, I imagine, lots of other UK expats I am anxious to know if justice is going to be done and seen to be done.

A Thai lady I met by chancing on the Cha Am driving range the other day told me Toby's former wife is being held in jail. She said she had visited her and felt sorry for her. No comment.

I posted the original thread about Toby on the Hua Hin after dark site soon after hes dissapperance. This was done after talking to a good friend of tobys who had not seen him for a number of days. I am also keen to find out the out come of this horrific crime. I will be in HH in early sept, so hope to learn more from some mutual friends. Although I beleive justice may be slow comming :o

I posted the original thread about Toby on the Hua Hin after dark site soon after hes dissapperance. This was done after talking to a good friend of tobys who had not seen him for a number of days. I am also keen to find out the out come of this horrific crime. I will be in HH in early sept, so hope to learn more from some mutual friends. Although I beleive justice may be slow comming :o

According to the August edition of the Hua Hin observer, his believed remains found south of Hua Hin were formally identified through DNA and he was cremated in the Hua Hin temple last month.

According to the August edition of the Hua Hin observer, his believed remains found south of Hua Hin were formally identified through DNA and he was cremated in the Hua Hin temple last month.

I have heard something else about the rainbow bar , is that where the 2 guys died together as well ?

• 1 year later...

This snip from your linked article LR has me very very suspicious of his ex wife;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jht...MC-exp_02082006

"He divorced Laoruang two years ago, allegedly because of her gambling debts, and won sole custody of their son, whom he allowed to visit his mother. He remained in Thailand though he removed his ex-wife as a director of his company. The prosecution allege that he was murdered for his assets."