Suvharnabumi Airport, Do You Like It, Beauty Wise?

I was there yesterday, bringing back my parents who were going back to Europe.

And as much as I do do like the airport during the day, I just love it during the night.

I just love the blue touch.

I took a few pictures that are available on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/farangrakthai...57623191927825/

And I love this one, reminds me of the girl computer voice in the airport, end of the walk :) , http://www.flickr.com/photos/farangrakthai...57623191927825/

But what about you, do you like it, beauty wise?

Yes I do. A very impressive structure.

Yes compare it to other airports in the world

like hong kong .. Ugly

London Heathow sometimes you have to sit for more then one hour in a bus to go from one terminal to terminal 4

only some minus points:

Going to and from long time parking is idiot

The shops --> mafia

The way they did handle the hire cars

and some point are to far apart to walk

and when will that train be ready ??

Pieter

Going to and from long time parking is idiot

The shops --> mafia

The way they did handle the hire cars

Indeed

BKK is way better than Shanghai or many other airports. Very fast luggage delivery, efficient customs/immigration, etc.

VAT refunds work without problems, and there is lots of space for all arriving and departing passengers to walk around without bumping into eachother.

Shopping complaints (nobody forces anyone to shop there!) aside, the lounges are great, and its easy to get arround.

m

Love it. It feels airy and unoppressive.

But (yes, sorry there is a but) what is going on with the escalators..they have SO many going in the same direction. I had to walk from one side of the airport to the other passing about 3 sets of escalators..maybe 4, just to get downstairs. Also the elevator doesnt stop on all floors either. Wish they would sort out that part!

I recently spent 4 hours landside waiting to check in. Virtually nothing to do other than walk around outside which isn't so appealing with 30kg of luggage. Lack of sattelite TV anywhere in the airport is a pain as well.

The building itself ilooks better at night but they really need to sort out the catering/bar/shop situation. Does anyone shop at those expensive handbag and designer clothes shops?

The place looks very nice from the outside at night. Once on the inside it falls down several notches as I do not like the layout with the gates being virtual wastelands, the cramped arrival hall and other things.

And I think my avatar is of the airport... I forgot about that! :)

TheWalkingMan

Edit: Avatar comment

Edited by TheWalkingMan

An airport should be a quit stress-less relaxing area, Swampy is not that.

And I can't think of a single airport I've ever been in that is "a quit stress-less relaxing area".

I try to spend less time as possible in airports and stations,very stressful places indeed,although interesting for the variety of people you can see.

I like Swampy quite a lot,i think the design is brilliant.

It's easy to criticize,but many other important airports are worse.

I don't like the shopping areas and restaurants,they seem overpriced to me.

The only time i tried to use the elevators,i had my way blocked by a stick-armed security guard,i didn't care to ask him why.

The first time I was there, I wasn't impressed at all. Now, I find it quite OK. My biggest problem with Swampy is that it is so very noisey. I usually fly from BKK to Singapore and I love the Singapore airport--much quieter and more relaxing.

But as airports go, Swampy is fine. I like to complain and I find that I usually have to look around for something to complain about there, so it must be pretty good!

And I can't think of a single airport I've ever been in that is "a quit stress-less relaxing area".
Have you ever been to Vienna (Schwechat)? My absolute favorite!

Yes I like the design, modern, different, spacious and nice lighting but...

Airport is very noisy, bad toilets (still those Thai "tesco lotus" style ones...) and a lack of food places (all of them overcrowded) and arrival meeting areas to small and often overcrowded, guess it's because all the Thais pick up their relatives with a Vigo full of family members.... :)

Parking is conveniently located, it's relatively clean and well kept up on the other hand!

Edited by farangkeenok

I think the airport overall is pretty good. It is usually pretty clean, unlike many airports - check in is usually pretty good but I can't understand why most airlines have a good queuing system and then there's AirAsia which is just a bunfight when it comes to queuing for check in. I just don't get that. And one last thing - never enough trolleys - last time I was leaving BKK (14 Jan) I got out of the cab with three pieces of heavy luggage and no trolleys to be seen anywhere. One of the staff told me that had a shortage because they get stolen. Hmm. Interesting. Anyway, overall asthetically a 7/10 and about the same for functionality.