Advise On Buying A New Isuzu D-max

Kanos

Hi Guys

I would like to purchase an Isuzu D-MAX pickup. The 2WD CREW CAB LS seems to be good but I am sure there are other interesting models. I also had Toyota Vigo in mind but the Isuzu will do for a first car and experience in Thailand.

It should have 4 doors, no roof deck and if possible automatic (wife will be a new driver and I like it too).

Are the automatic cars a lot more expensive than manuals or is the difference not important ?

Concerning the financing method, what would you guys suggest me ? It would be more easy to have my wife put it on her name I guess, even if it is riskier (split up and other stories we hear everyday, nobody is safe).

In that case, how much % would be the deposit ? And what would we need to do concerning paperwork and such ?

Best look here http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/th/vehic...20100&new=1

Gives full spec, engine options, price etc on new D-Max.. The Auto is 3.0

In that case, how much % would be the deposit ?

Many different deals, try 2 or 3 places..

Credit here is different than say UK, here the interest is added in full when you sign the contract, therefore makes little sense to pay off early as no discount.

Edited by ignis

Finally if the car has 2 or 4 doors it doesn't matter, it's the seats that matter. So 4 or 5 seats models are good.

Are all the models listed on the red book website ? It seems that are are more manuals then automatics and the price varies a lot. So manual gearbox will be ok I guess for a first car.

And about the interest, how much do I need to count more on the basic price to have the final price ?

Thanks for the first feedback, all advices are welcome :)

The only two pieces of advise I would give are that a D-Max holds its value (good)

Thai finance is a trap (bad)..if you have access to funds elsewhere use them, Thai car yard finance should be illegal ...f**king thieves. The contract guarentees the interest whether you go the whole term or not...in other words if you took the loan yesterday and won lotto tomorrow and wanted to pay it out....you pay the contract interest ...5 years usually...I will never take that sort of loan out again.

Well I could pay a certain deposit and then pay the rest yearly for 4 or 5 years to the dealer directly. If it's between the dealer and me (or wife) then it's not called financing anymore ? More details please :)

Otherwise thanks for the advice, that's a good argument to sell the car back after a few years if we want to change for another one.

Still need advice on the model :D (4 or more seats, no roof, automatic optional)

Isuzu crew cab has 2 doors, Toyota Smart cab has 2 extra suicide doors. My Toyota cost, if l remember correct an extra 100,000bht for Auto and 4x4, auto well worth it for in town driving, real peach to drive, l find manual trans very agricultural to operate in most trucks. In Ubon my pal was offered a new Isuzu 4 door 4x4, leather seats etc for offers over 740,000bht. which is cheap, perhaps they have a backup of trucks at this garage or it could be the rumour about a new shape truck on the horizon. Toyota have done some resent upgrades to their trucks. HP, don't know. :)

I have recently orded myself a new pick up, I checked out both Isuzu and Toyota. I settled for a 4 door manual 2wd toyota hilux prerunner model. I begrudge paying 150.000 plus Baht for the 4wd and auto,

Whatever that was my choice, we already have a Isuzu in the family and I think they have a very noisy engine.

If I was to take it on finance I was quoted a 2.43% rate from both companies. So I hope that will give you some idea of what to expect.

Cheers

Go for the 3.0 Litre Turbo jobbie.

There is a plus for following the monthly financing route - should the marriage/relationship go pear shaped, then not your problem to meet payments anymore!

:D

ha Ha, Thats what I thought but the marriage is outlasting the loan :)

Finally if the car has 2 or 4 doors it doesn't matter, it's the seats that matter. So 4 or 5 seats models are good.

Are all the models listed on the red book website ? It seems that are are more manuals then automatics and the price varies a lot. So manual gearbox will be ok I guess for a first car.

And about the interest, how much do I need to count more on the basic price to have the final price ?

Thanks for the first feedback, all advices are welcome :)

2 doors are 2 seats, registered for 2 people. rear bench still accepted used for passangers, but dont know for how long. Bed not allowed to use for passangers on expressways.

4 doors are 5 seats.

That's very interesting information, thank you.

Personally I don't care for a 5 seat car. The bench is ok for me because I will never use it but the misses cares a lot about it (certainly to take her family on trips ... sigh ...)

So If I have to settle for 5 seats, I saw these 2 models (4 doors, 5 seats) :

- Pickup 4dr DCab SX Super Platinum Man 5sp RWD 570kg 2.5DCT 653,500

- Pickup 4dr DCab SLX Super Platinum Man 5sp RWD 565kg 2.5DCT 719,500

There are other models, more expensive : Hi-Lander Platinium Series.

What do you guys think of the 2 models I mentioned?

Edited by Kanos

post-42643-1265324048_thumb.jpg

My 'Gold' series

Buy a new SLX every 3 years... It is the 2 door because the road tax is very much cheaper than a 4 door.. + have no need for 4 doors as also have a car...

I buy the SLX model because it has ABS + 2 Airbags + MP3.

As for the 'noisy engine' the Isuzu engine is chain driven. the others are belt driven.. Also Service cost for Isuzu is by far the cheapest of the pickups.

Personally I don't care for a 5 seat car. The bench is ok for me because I will never use it but the misses cares a lot about it (certainly to take her family on trips ... sigh ...)

I bought an Isuzu Cab 4 3,0 Auto in Dezember. Looked at Toyota but its brakes are really inferior. The models you mention, ok if you are satisfied with the smaller engine. The difference is noticeable. The bigger you need if you want auto. There are quite a few differencies between SX and SLX, you have to look through them to decide what you want. The SX does not have Airbag, SLX on driver side. You have to go with the 3,0 engine to have both sides. On SLX you can order rear view camera, really good thing. Or maybe it is included on SLX, I don't remember. Go to your nearest dealer and look carefully. SX and SLX Smart do not have ABS with brake assist. And as have been said here, the two door models have a "wooden plank seat" in the back. Not nice to try sit there, also no leg room. I assume the SLX you refer to above is NOT the Smart version which has about the same limited equipment as the SX. The Highlander has more and rides higher, nice if you live in areas with flooding in the rainy season, otherwise you may not need it? Or if you travel on uneven dirt roads.

Go look at www.isuzu4u.com Isuzu Thailand and compare. The website has not been updated but you can get some info. Some dealers may have a demo car, some not. If not, check with local rentals if they have the model you want and rent for a day to try out. Might be worth it. I don't know where you are so cannot advise you.

Edited by Tanaka

I bought an Isuzu Cab 4 3,0 Auto in Dezember. Looked at Toyota but its brakes are really inferior. The models you mention, ok if you are satisfied with the smaller engine. The difference is noticeable. The bigger you need if you want auto. There are quite a few differencies between SX and SLX, you have to look through them to decide what you want. The SX does not have Airbag, SLX on driver side. You have to go with the 3,0 engine to have both sides. On SLX you can order rear view camera, really good thing. Or maybe it is included on SLX, I don't remember. Go to your nearest dealer and look carefully. SX and SLX Smart do not have ABS with brake assist. And as have been said here, the two door models have a "wooden plank seat" in the back. Not nice to try sit there, also no leg room. I assume the SLX you refer to above is NOT the Smart version which has about the same limited equipment as the SX. The Highlander has more and rides higher, nice if you live in areas with flooding in the rainy season, otherwise you may not need it? Or if you travel on uneven dirt roads.

Go look at www.isuzu4u.com Isuzu Thailand and compare. The website has not been updated but you can get some info. Some dealers may have a demo car, some not. If not, check with local rentals if they have the model you want and rent for a day to try out. Might be worth it. I don't know where you are so cannot advise you.

Toyota Vigo since November 2008 has far better brakes than Izu. Actually stops 12 meters sooner from 100kmh, and is 30% larger. In addition Izu and Chevy are using an old 3 sensor ABS, while Vigo and all other pickups in LOS are using more modern 4 sensor.

Well it seems I will go for a manual transmission gearbox if they are a lot cheaper, if the difference is not that big then I'll go for auto transmission. I'll need to think about it. The car is just for driving around in Issaan area, more precisely near Chaiyaphum.

I'd like to have the ABS included. So I'm not yet decided. I'm not yet arrived in thailand, I'm just searching for information before I go to a showroom so I'm at least prepared.

Edited by Kanos

I reckon that there'll be a major change to the DMax line up in the next year (there have been several minor ones that I've noticed. Anyone know if this is the case?

BTW I have a price list from Isuzu in front of me, with some examples of payments that the sales girl did for me.. Depending upon how many months you would take finance over, the interest rate is approx 2.5%

Mind you, on the finance front, please bear in mind that as a foreigner you would usually need to have a work permit to get finance (in my experience anyway).

Well I agree that there are other choices than Isuzu, but everyone needs to be happy. The wife doesn't like the look of the Chevy Colorado and prefers the look of the isuzu, and the toyota vigo even more. On the red book website (see second post) the suggested retail price of the 2010 Toyota Hilux Vigo Pickup 4dr DCab G Auto 4sp RWD 3.0DCT is 814.000. Manual is 40.000 cheaper. Price isn't everything, well I have my limit +- 800K. Otherwise I would not ask for advice :)

Edited by Kanos

I reckon that there'll be a major change to the DMax line up in the next year (there have been several minor ones that I've noticed. Anyone know if this is the case?

BTW I have a price list from Isuzu in front of me, with some examples of payments that the sales girl did for me.. Depending upon how many months you would take finance over, the interest rate is approx 2.5%

Mind you, on the finance front, please bear in mind that as a foreigner you would usually need to have a work permit to get finance (in my experience anyway).

The plant manufactoring DMax, Colorado, MU7 etc is making huge investments in new engineproduction and new bodytools. Dont know their schedule, but could be all new models November 2010

Auto is about 40k more expensive than the equivalent manual. Totally worth it IMHO. I also got the auto partly because the missus was not an experienced driver and what with a baby to catch her attention, I didn't want her worrying about changing gears. I would never buy a manual again.

Highlander is what we got, 2WD. The tax on the 4 door is a few thousand a year more, nothing to write home about. Cannot compare the seating in the 2 door and 4 door, chalk and cheese and with the 4 door you get proper seats and windows. Makes people and things moving much easier. Looked at the SL(X) stuff but went with the Highlander. Glad we did.

I'm seriously hesitating between the Isuzu DMAX 4 door/AT and Toyota Vigo 4 door/AT. I will visit their respective showrooms when I'll be there.

DMAX or VIGO

We like the VIGO better for it's look but it could be that the model (see link) is not available with AUTO transmission. Price is same same, has AT and maintenance and spare parts would be cheaper I guess? Could the difference of interest between Isuzu and Toyota be important?

Edited by Kanos

The current models are indeed chain driven.

Since the thread title is talking about a new truck, the engine choices are 2.5 iteq 3.0 iteq or 3.0 iteq vgs.

The 2.8 isn't made anymore and is an older model which may well have had a timing belt however it was never fitted into a D-MAX since they started production May 2002. They were introduced from 1998 to 2002 in the Dragon eyes models pickups.

Edited by Pomthai

Isuzu D-MAX is far far cheaper for maintenance and spare parts than the Vigo
When someone tells you that you have to buy a larger engine to get auto trans - that is old fashioned upselling.

It's a scam & you should boycott them.

I'll get a picture of a Black crew cab Colorado. lol. It's sexy.

I have a ISUZU 4x4 LS D Max 3 litre Auto. Have never had a problem with it, fuel consumption is great, and was advised by ISUZU to only fuel up at large garages like PTT etc as most of the small ones have water in their tanks or mix their fuels. Also they have an engine emobiliser as standard and a very comfortable ride with the tyre pressures at the recommended 29PSI as printed on the inside of the drivers door and on the tyre. I have now clocked up 33000 Kilometeres and been all over Thailand in it from good roads to dirt. It was also voted as the UTE if the year 2009 in Australia. :):D Very happy with it.

Also the Colorado is an ISUZU with a badge change.

Last time round looked @ Isuzu and got the "we are the best so don't have to offer any thing off/freebies speach" .. Fair enough,bought a Mitsubishi..

Check out Nissan Navarra .. 3rd biggest seller in Thailand .. best engine = 2.5 diesel in auto or manual..

Don't see the problem with new car finance,stick with the manufacturers offer usually circa 2.3 % APR,4 year deal works out at 12.6 % total...

...Recently settled Mitsu' finance and got a discount,ok only 2 % BUT most finance deals worldwide are front loaded towards the interest in your monthly payments and any discount offered is off the outstanding interest not the capital borrowed SO in settling ,say, a 4 year finance after 2.5 years nearly all the interest charge would have been paid off resulting in a minimal early settlement discount - just like Thailand!