Bophut From The Ferry Port

Hi, We are arriving in Samui on Thursday morning after the train and ferry from Bangkok...What is the best way to get to Bophut from the ferry port and if taxi is the best way then how much should we be likely to pay? Only asking cos we have only been in Bangkok a day but have been ripped off left right and centre with everything we have done.

One example we went for a meal, I had one beer and my girlfriend one glass a wine, we both had sweet and sour chicken and shared a plate of noodles...This cost 2060 Baht, I mean, even in the UK this would be expensive and we were told Thailand is cheap or are we just naive and prices are like this everywhere?

Thanks in advance

Hello sibrown,where you arrive on Samui?If you arrive in Nathonwith Seatran you can take the songtaw to Bophut for about 200 bath or the yellow taxi for 500/600 bath.

From lipa noi with Raja ferry multiply with 2,and my advies is check and dubble check pricesbefore you do anything in Thailand :) .

Have a nice stay at Koh Samui

Hi, You certainly were ripped off for your meal. The cheapest option is the Raja ferry which is the one the Thais use. I don't understand how issanpaul thinks it is twice as expensive ? :) You can get a songthauw, pick up with two benches in the back, to Bophut for around 60 - 100 baht per person. The Seatran ferry will cost around the 100-150 baht per person. Taxis here on Samui are a joke, avoid using them or agree a price before starting your journey. Enjoy :D

PS your better option would be to take the train to Chumphon, cheaper than Surat Thani, then take the Seatran ferry to Samui. It takes you to Bangrak which is a few minutes from Bophut or the Lomprayah to Maenam, again a lot closer to Bophut than Nathon.

Edited by H2oDunc

Hello sibrown,where you arrive on Samui?If you arrive in Nathonwith Seatran you can take the songtaw to Bophut for about 200 bath or the yellow taxi for 500/600 bath.

From lipa noi with Raja ferry multiply with 2,and my advies is check and dubble check pricesbefore you do anything in Thailand :D .

Have a nice stay at Koh Samui

:) That's a lot of baths. Hope you have plenty of soap !

Goodmorning H2oDunc did you use some H2o this morning? If you read the topic well you will see they are already on Samui and ask only for taxi prices :D

Hi, You certainly were ripped off for your meal. The cheapest option is the Raja ferry which is the one the Thais use. I don't understand how issanpaul thinks it is twice as expensive ? :) You can get a songthauw, pick up with two benches in the back, to Bophut for around 60 - 100 baht per person. The Seatran ferry will cost around the 100-150 baht per person. Taxis here on Samui are a joke, avoid using them or agree a price before starting your journey. Enjoy :D

PS your better option would be to take the train to Chumphon, cheaper than Surat Thani, then take the Seatran ferry to Samui. It takes you to Bangrak which is a few minutes from Bophut or the Lomprayah to Maenam, again a lot closer to Bophut than Nathon.

You were most unfortunate to be charged over 2,000 Baht for a simple meal and 2 drinks in Bangkok. You must have wandered into a 5 star restaurant.

If you go to normal restaurants in Bangkok and other cities and developed areas in Thailand you will find that even for western food you would on average be looking at 150 baht to 400 baht for a full sized meal, 50 to 100 baht for a beer and 60 to 120 or so for a glass of house wine.

Avoid the wine here unless you ARE in a 5 star restaurant and are willing to pay the high prices.

Generally speaking Thailand is far less expensive than the UK, US or Europe. But you have to keep your eyes open and keep that brain turned on properly, don't let it go into idle :-)

Most of the lower price advice above regards transport from Nathon or Lipa Noi to Bophut is pretty much correct.

Especially "avoid the yellow taxis". Avoid them like the freaking page, really. Walking is preferable. Do not support them, they are all crooks.

regards

two ferry ports as stated big difference in transport price, if you arriving in Nathon you should just be able to jump in back of sontow stop it at Bohput and pay 60 baht. heres the problem if you go to the songtow and say you want to go to bohput then you have hired it and well costs will be higher. either way you are probably going to get ripped off, i just took it on the chin and payed just to get to my room after the long journey. if you got ripped of in BKK then you are going to be spanked in Samui, of all the places in Thailand i have been to Samui heads the list by a long way for ripping people off. if in bkk you went to a high end restuarant you willl pay high price. if in bohput you want really good thai food cheap come out village go upto traffic lights where police box is opposite you will see car audio shop and restuarant next door. i my and many friends opinion best food on the island for the price. NEVER use a taxi meter. they are known for driving you to lonely place then demanding more money. if you have hotel booked in bohput contact them about arraning some cheap transport. if you need advice in Bohput then ask following, peter billabong, john mosquito bar jimmy irish bar, graham frog and gecko all good blokes who will go out of there way to help you

Edited by NALAK

Some restaurants, not many, in BKK overcharge inexperienced tourists. Often in teamwork with a taxi/tuk tuk driver. But OP should have read the prices at the menu first.

Songteaow Nathon - Bophut costs 50 Baht and 20 Baht for luggage/Person until appr. 18:00h, taxi to bargain about 400 Baht.

Goodmorning H2oDunc did you use some H2o this morning? If you read the topic well you will see they are already on Samui and ask only for taxi prices :D

Good afternoon issanpaul. Yes indeed I used some H2o this morning. I take a shower every week whether I need one or not. Also by my watch, computer, newspaper and my missus I still make it Wednesday and the OP states they are arriving on THURSDAY ? Maybe I forgot to multiply the days by 2 as well as the taxi price ? :D