Over The Counter Pain Relief

tripperj

anyone know what brand names there are for over the counter codine in LOS. I have back pain on and off and getting prescriptions can be a dragg. Here in uk i use solidine max (12mg codine), which does the trick. But don't know what i can get in thailand.

anyone know??

Edited by penzman

Forget Codeine, it is probably one of the worst opiate analgesics. Incidentally dextropropoxyphene has just been banned in the U.K. (distalgesic or Co- proxamol) that is because it has a high overdose potential. 300 successful suicides per year. (In the UK alone).

My advice for pain relief is paracetamol. Or for bad pain 'temgesic'. Temgesic is readily available in Thailand and twice as strong as morphine although in 36% of patients nausea is a problem.

Nausea can be treated with a side dose of metaclopromide, easily available as plasil.

Codeine is of no use in pain relief, it really should be withdrawn.

Forget Codeine, it is probably one of the worst opiate analgesics. Incidentally dextropropoxyphene has just been banned in the U.K. (distalgesic or Co- proxamol) that is because it has a high overdose potential. 300 successful suicides per year. (In the UK alone).

My advice for pain relief is paracetamol. Or for bad pain 'temgesic'. Temgesic is readily available in Thailand  and twice as strong as morphine although in 36% of patients nausea is a problem.

Nausea can be treated with a side dose of metaclopromide, easily available as plasil.

Codeine is of no use in pain relief, it really should be withdrawn.

It works for me. i don't need it very often and never for more than a few days so depenance or tolerance ain't a problem. Paracetamol on it's own doesn't really work too well on my back pain.

But thanks anyway

TJ :o

anyone know what brand names there are for over the counter codine in LOS. I have back pain on and off and getting prescriptions can be a dragg. Here in uk i use solidine max (12mg codine), which does the trick. But don't know what i can get in thailand.

anyone know??

Just a suggestion:

I suffer from periodic bouts of sciatic pain and paracetamol does nothing for this, likewise aspirin and its derivatives. The one thing that works for me is ibuprofen, available from Tesco (in UK) in 200mg and 400mg own brand packages. I don't know if this is available from Tesco Lotus in Thailand but it would be well worth checking out. Otherwise, you could try Boots (if you have one where you are) as they will probably sell something similar.

DM

• 4 weeks later...

anyone know??

Just a suggestion:

I suffer from periodic bouts of sciatic pain and paracetamol does nothing for this, likewise aspirin and its derivatives. The one thing that works for me is ibuprofen, available from Tesco (in UK) in 200mg and 400mg own brand packages. I don't know if this is available from Tesco Lotus in Thailand but it would be well worth checking out. Otherwise, you could try Boots (if you have one where you are) as they will probably sell something similar.

DM

Ibuprofen freely available in Los , it is described as 'super aspirin' does this make it a derivative?

anyone know??

Just a suggestion:

DM

Ibuprofen freely available in Los , it is described as 'super aspirin' does this make it a derivative?

I suffer from neck pain. I have been on Kapake for 6 yrs which I can't get here in Thailand. I went to the Pharmascy last week and after a long talk with the pharmasist , and alos studying a book I have called "The British Guide To Medacine and Drugs" I now have Colchacine 0.6 mg. They are working fine on me.

The name of a local codiene medicine is Codipront but it is only available on doctors prescription. I just got 20 tabs for about 1000baht.

Temgesic is supposed to be freely available and I am going to try to get some tomorrow.

7 years ago they were freely available (codipront) and cost 30baht a capsule (red and brown )

Since Mr Thaksin has come to power , they are on the restricted list and I believe that they are not even allowed into the country even if you have a letter from your doctor in your home country.

The ones I got are 30mg which are equivalent to Panadeine Forte in Australia.

I'll let you know how I go with Temgesic. :o