The rights of thai-foreigner familes

The current governmental trend in tightening visa and work permit regulations, among other things, is becomming more than just a hassle...it's turning into a citizens' rights issue. For a long time, foreign women marrying Thai men had it easy...they were pretty much welcomed here with open arms and became Thai to a certain extent in terms of their legal status in the country whereas when the man was a foreigner and the lady was Thai, the old chauvinistic laws kicked in and made a lot of trouble. The law governing a Thai lady's right to own property while married to a foreign husband has been amended in her favor recently. This does not solve the issue of the foreign man's legal status...the red tape and unfair regulations are still alive and well and according to recent news, are getting a lot worse.

Just as with the issue involving foreign spouses marrying citizens of my country (USA), if the couple and any children they may have choose to make their home in one of the spouse's countries, it is their right to do that because the spouse is a citizen of that country. My wife is Thai and is a citizen of Thailand and we have chosen to make our home here. However, quite a few of those who are in the government have chosen to impose hardships on couples/families like ours...is this some sort of punishment for a Thai lady whose husband happens to be a Westerner? I'll bet if those same officials had foreign wives/husbands, they would be thinking along a different (and certainly more logical) line.

It is time for those in power who are suppressing so many Thai-Foreign families to wake up and change their unfair and narrow-minded ways for the benefit of their citizens who are entitled to the same rights they are. For Thais who are married to foreigners, this is their land too. Any Thai-Foreign couples/families need to come together and make our voices heard...sooner or later somebody in the right state of mind and in power will listen and help us settle in here.

Hi Dr. Patpong,

As of now, I'm currently on an "O" class non-immigrant visa. When I got this visa last year in Florida before my wife and I moved here, I had applied for the non-immigrant visa and I assumed they gave me the "O" since I'm married. The immigration folks at Soi Suam Plu extended it to the same date as my contract and put some sort of stamp in my passport that states I have permission to work at my school (it probably gives some sort of reference to my work permit as well).

Just remember to NEVER leave the country unless you have a re-entry permit during any extension period coz that'll void the extension. Obtain two more one year extensions based on either your Work Permit or your marriage to a Thai. After 3 one year extensions, you can get PR.