Mac Security Question

starship

Hi. Need advice. Recently joined forex site and my computer will not run the software although it meets requirements requested. The sites tech info says i need to allow pop up's (no problem) and allow access through my firewall (not sure about this). Anyone have experience of this? Is this a normal requirement for these types of site? Is it safe to allow access through firewall? I'm wary of security. Have experience of macs but am not an expert. Running 10.4.11 on an imac. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

You're probably safe with it.

First, it seems to be a site you're trusting, so unlikely there will be anything nasty on it.

Second, nasty things for Macs are quite rare. Yes, some do exist, but it can be hard to find them, so you probably don't have anything to worry about there.

In twenty years of downloading stuff, only once, about fifteen years ago, did I get a practical joke. Took me a few hours to figure it out and delete it.

The site's techie might not be Mac savvy, though, and assuring you of something he knows little of. Some sites simply won't accept Macs at our end.

You're probably safe with it.

First, it seems to be a site you're trusting, so unlikely there will be anything nasty on it.

Second, nasty things for Macs are quite rare. Yes, some do exist, but it can be hard to find them, so you probably don't have anything to worry about there.

In twenty years of downloading stuff, only once, about fifteen years ago, did I get a practical joke. Took me a few hours to figure it out and delete it.

The site's techie might not be Mac savvy, though, and assuring you of something he knows little of. Some sites simply won't accept Macs at our end.

Thanks for info. If you think it's probably ok, is the best route to switch off the firewall only when using this site. I'd rather not leave it permanently off. Is there a way within mac o.s to allow access only to this site.

Thanks.

Not sure I'd want to turn the Firewall off completely. I am definitely not an expert in these matters whatsoever, but I'd be hesitant turning it off because there could be an approach made from some other searcher while you are connected to that particular site.

You could check out something like LittleSnitch. That's got a good way of blocking contacts between your own Mac and the outside world. Might be able to keep everything securely locked up but opening only to that forex site. Any chance of choosing a different forex site?