Import Duties

elektrified

I need to import a shipment from the USA - N.Y. to CNX air. It would be coming FedEx, insured for USD $1,675.00. It is electronic items - vacuum tubes. I've used the "Estimate Duties and Taxes" calculator on the FedEx website and it calculates the total taxes at 4150 THB (VAT). That seems awfully low to me since I have been told that import duties are 'about' 20% of the value.

I've searched the TV website and come up with nothing. Does anyone know the rule of thumb of what the tax would be or who to ask? I need to know before the shipment is sent.

Thanks in advance.

I am guessing that your parts may come under Clause 8540 of the Harmonized System of Tariffs and have attached a bit from the Customs website concerning this. No idea when it was last updated as import duties were generally lowered across the board during Thaksin times. All duties are calculated on the CIF value and there are other charges such as surcharges, special tariffs, ecise, VAT etc etc that they don't like to talk about.

I have also attached a spreadsheet with a tariff calculator on it. If the duty is indeed 35%, that will quickly climb to almost 45. If you think the category is correct, your Custom agent should be able to tell you what the current duty rate is.

Integrated_Tariff_Database.pdf

Tax_and_duty_calcs.xls

I am guessing that your parts may come under Clause 8540 of the Harmonized System of Tariffs and have attached a bit from the Customs website concerning this. No idea when it was last updated as import duties were generally lowered across the board during Thaksin times. All duties are calculated on the CIF value and there are other charges such as surcharges, special tariffs, ecise, VAT etc etc that they don't like to talk about.

I have also attached a spreadsheet with a tariff calculator on it. If the duty is indeed 35%, that will quickly climb to almost 45. If you think the category is correct, your Custom agent should be able to tell you what the current duty rate is.

Integrated_Tariff_Database.pdf

Tax_and_duty_calcs.xls

Many, many thanks for that. 45%....yikes that's crazy. I searched the website and indeed you are correct on the category 8540.81. Statutory rate 35%.

Looks like some countries - China and Korea for example, are exempted while imports from Japan are only 5%.