American Found Dead In Phuket Home

webfact

American found dead in Phuket home

PHUKET TOWN: -- Police are investigating whether a Tourist Police volunteer found dead in his Rawai home committed suicide or was murdered.

American national Richard Johnson, 67, was found slumped against his bedroom door with electrical cord around his neck yesterday evening. There were wounds to his neck and forehead.

Chalong Police and Phuket Ruamjai Kupai Foundation rescue workers arrived at the scene around 7:45pm. They estimated Mr Johnson died about three hours earlier.

There were no signs of struggle in the house, located on Soi Khok Makham in Rawai.

In the room police found Mr Johnson’s passport as well as a card identifying him as a Tourist Police volunteer.

What is puzzling investigators is the mechanics of Mr Johnson’s death.

The white cord around his neck was not attached to anything, leading them to wonder whether the American asphyxiated himself by tying the cable round his neck and pulling both ends.

While police believe suicide is the most likely scenario, they have yet to rule out murder.

Further investigation has revealed that Mr Johnson had been doing business in Phuket for several years.

He lived alone in the home, having separated from a Thai wife who since remarried.

Mr Johnson’s body was sent to Vachira Phuket Hospital for examination.

Police are hoping the results of that work will show whether they can close the book on the case – or begin the hunt for a murderer.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-02-06

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

This is also the same street where a European woman was robbed, beaten and raped in her home at 7am.

I also heard a rumor that there was an attempt on another woman on that same street.

Also the Kata Kidnapper guy (held a girl a knifepoint well she was waiting for divers) lives off the same street. They thought he might have been the attacker of the European woman but i believe the hospsital released him before she could identify him but the woman who was attacked while jogging had a look and was pretty sure it was not him.

Um, I'm no cop or CSI fan or anything, but if he was pulling the cord at both ends wouldn't he pass out first, therefore releasing the pressure on the cord? Whatever the cause, RIP

I'm with you here. This would be about the dumbest way to try and kill yourself and I can't imagine this guy was that stupid...However Thai police trying to turn this into a quick open and closed case by calling it a suicide... That is far more believable.

RIP Richard,

I used to see you around, you always looked like you were having fun dancing with the girls at Freedom, you seemed like a good guy.

Highly doubt you killed yourself, yeah, you pulled the cord from both ends and strangled yourself, unbelievable geniuses these cops here......

I think you are missing the point. :)
Big deal __ A 24 hour murders list in the States won't fit on this page

Yeah, but whenever a murder happened in our local community, it was BIG news. In general, threat to one's peace of mind, if you live in the area. Get real.

Big deal __ A 24 hour murders list in the States won't fit on this page

:) Not all of them were people we knew. I have met Richard. He was a good friend of a good friend of mine. Have a little respect for his family and the people who knew him that may read this forum.

BTW, 45 people are murdered in the states every day. I think you could fit that onto this page.

So that makes you, sir, incorrect.

Um, I'm no cop or CSI fan or anything, but if he was pulling the cord at both ends wouldn't he pass out first, therefore releasing the pressure on the cord? Whatever the cause, RIP

I was never a CSI, but as a cop we got a fair bit of this in school and the academy. I am still no expert mind you, but I am in agreement with you on this Netfan. It's very unlikely he could do this himself based on what is described in the report. Hypoxia of the brain can occur either by blocking the trachea and thus the air to the lungs, or more commonly by blocking the carotid arteries to the brain. Unconsciousness will occur in a few seconds, but death would take a lot longer. Irreparable brain damage can occur in just a few minutes after unconsciousness. After about 7 minutes the person is usually no longer revivable. As much of a jole as the RTP are, I have to believe they teach them this. Of course there may be a lot more to the story.

And what of the ancillary wounds? "No sign of a struggle"? Well, except for the wounds on his forehead.

Plus, talking to my friend, he was very surprised, and could not believe it was suicide. But then again, one of my good friends killed himself recently and he was one of the seeminly happiest, nicest, family oriented guys you'd ever meet. Sometimes you just don't know. I just have to imagine that anyone who kills themselves at the time must have felt like they were faced with an insurmountable issue of which there was only one escape.

Time for the BIB to look into some of those business relationships.

RIP Richard.

Yes self-strangulation may sound unlikely, but I suppose it would depend upon the knot used. When I was a young lad, a school child tightened the tie of another boy. He was choking and no-one could loosen it. Fortunately, a teacher was nearby and he had a pocket knife and cut the thing off. So anything's possible. RIP.

Fingerprints on the cord?

It would be highly unlikely that you would get fingerprints off a cord or rope. There would be more chance of finding dna on such an item.

Having said that, if a second party was involved & he left evidence on the cord/rope, he would then need to be known to the Police by way of fingerprint or dna for them to be able to make the link, having said that, of course police could submit/subject suspects to tests in order to make that link.

Also it is possible, depending on the type of knott tied that this type of thing could be a suicide, seen it myself a couple of times.

Anyway, my thoughts are with the deceased family and friends, if another person is involved in this I hope they are arrested and dealt with quickly.

From the reported text

The white cord around his neck was not attached to anything, leading them to wonder whether the American asphyxiated himself by tying the cable round his neck and pulling both ends.

Doesnt lead to the idea that there were knots involved.. They make it sound like simply a rope, pulled tight..

From the reported text

Doesnt lead to the idea that there were knots involved.. They make it sound like simply a rope, pulled tight..

Yes I was thinking the same thing, but unfortunatly you now how these reports go. By the time the info ends up published, it's usually not accurate or important details are missing due to personal bias, laziness, or translation issues.