5% On Your Money?

Until I have a direction and a plan, I'd like to park my money where it would make 5%. I already have a third of it in a New Zealand CD making 5%. But I don't want to stick all my eggs in one basket... what if their currency drops like a rock? Too much risk. So, the rest is in a "standard" U.S. account making essentially nothing.

Any ideas? At this point I prefer "guaranteed" (CDs, etc) over things like stocks and what not.

Thanks.

Interest rates in LOS are very low at the moment.

The best I have seen is a new 3 year investment from AJF

3% year one, 4% year two and 5% year three.

You can do better than this if you send your money to UK

some offshore banks should be able to give you 5% tax free on a yearly deposit account.

maybe some current instant access accounts too.

try sterling accounts at offshore banks in jersey , guernsey , and the isle of man

One idea: If you are a US citizen with a US address you can use a FLOATING RATE BOND fund (check fidelity).

These funds hold business loans from companies with less than stellar credit (but not junk status) who have to hold paper where the rate floats when interest rates go up.

Thus, they already pay pretty high and will go higher if interest rates go up.

The main risk is if there is a total overall economic meltdown these companies will default.

Got to take some risk for a better return.

In the UK now you can get savings accounts paying uo to 7% fixed. There is some possibility that the UK interest rate may rise - this may depend upon when the property bubble bursts. Other banks etc are oferring 5.5%+. I have quite a bit with Alliance & Leicester at 5.35% for a instant access saving account. But they seem to be getting less friendly to people who live outside of the UK.

For the nest deals on UK savings account check :

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com

on another thread a poster mentioned that in OZ you can get up to 12% interest from savings !

Until I have a direction and a plan, I'd like to park my money where it would make 5%.  I already have a third of it in a New Zealand CD making 5%.  But I don't want to stick all my eggs in one basket... what if their currency drops like a rock?  Too much risk.  So, the rest is in a "standard" U.S. account making essentially nothing.

Any ideas?  At this point I prefer "guaranteed" (CDs, etc) over things like stocks and what not.

Thanks.

5%, you are getting a raw deal. my wife and i have some cash term deposits with the BNZ.we get more than 7.5%. If you can get access to BNZ Private Bank, they'll hook you up much better.

5% annual return is easy. check out the following websites for fixed investments.

www.jbhanauer.com

www.bondsearch123.com

I've been subscribing to these guys for a long time. they will send you a weekly listing of bonds, cds, etc for the purpose of reviewing current returns.

NZ bank yields are high, but there is no deposit insurance in NZ so there is principal risk. One option is everbank.com. They issue CDs in non-USD currencies. The CDs are FDIC insured. There is still currency risk and interest rate risk, of course.

Khun Pad Thai

Interest rates in LOS are very low at the moment.

The best I have seen is a new 3 year investment from AJF

3% year one, 4% year two and 5% year three.

You can do better than this if you send  your money to UK

this sounds a lot, where did you find it?

i couldn't find it on AJFs website, they only sell funds there

and Bank of Ayudhya gives 2% for 3 years CD

this sounds a lot, where did you find it?

i couldn't find it on AJFs website, they only sell funds there

and Bank of Ayudhya gives 2% for 3 years CD

I have an account with AJF and they sent me an email.

IIRC it will be available later this month

Quite a few a hitting on at 5% gross for all you happy overseas non tax payers :o

See how Online Saver compares-Savings Account Minimum

Alliance-Leicester-Balance Gross p.a./AER* Online Saver £1 -5.35%

ING Direct (UK)-Savings £1 -5.00%

Nationwide-e-Savings £1- 5.00% :D

Halifax-Web Saver £1- 4.90%

http://www.alliance-leicester.co.uk/saving...ble12346&exp=30

Rinrada,

Have you ever tried to open an account in UK whilst you are in Thailand.      I have had three applications turned down for  savings accounts.

Thetyim,

Assuming that you have a UK address (or brother/sister/friend etc) you shouldnt have too much of a prob setting it up although I do admit that all the banks are getting worried about dosh laundering.

I just fed in my details ti A-l (to check ) and was accepted within 2 minutes...just print sign and send off.

The big problem we have over here is telling the banks to sod off and dont bother us.....Platinum Credit cards....any out of work dosser can get one :o

Must admit to picking up quite a few accounts during my old travelling days and from memory I still have them with.....RBS - B of Scot.Nat West,Nationwide,Halifax,Brad and Bing,HSBC,SMILE,and others in UK plus the usual Bangkok Bank-Krung Thai-bank of Asia,ABN-AMRo (Dutch-good one)Campu (cambodia)Bahrain Islamic bank-(ye gods)as well as the long forgotten ones in Singapore,Nigeria :D Saudia Arabia and Viet Nam ...dollar/dong.

Thinking about a holiday in Switzerland :D:D

5% annual return is easy.  check out the following websites for fixed investments.

www.jbhanauer.com

www.bondsearch123.com

I've been subscribing to these guys for a long time.  they will send you a weekly listing of bonds, cds, etc for the purpose of reviewing current returns.

Be careful with BONDS right now in a rising interest rate environment.

Sure, you can easily make 5 percent, but when rates rise your PRINCIPLE will be murdered.

Short term and some medium term OK, but stay away from long term.

This is why I suggested floating rate bonds, much less risk to principle when rates rise, and the rate goes up as rates rise.