Atm Fees--how To Minimize?

I'm just traveling, not living here. So I won't be setting up an account. Are there any strategies for avoiding or minimizing ATM fees. It seems all (or at the least the ones I've checked) the banks here charge 150Baht per transaction, and my home bank charges $5. That's $10 per withdrawal in fees. Is there some way to avoid some of these fees? Thank you.

That's what I used to do, always take out 20,000 baht per transaction.

Don't try this on a Saturday evening around Sukhumvit, the ATMs all say insufficient funds, first you might think it's your account, but it's actually the ATM itself.

:) it is not that simple anymore.... and it is getting more and more universal nowadays....

my home bank advised me yesterday that regardless of whichever cards i used (debit, credit) overseas .... each use oversea entails a 2 dollars surcharge, irrespective of geographical location...

furthermore, bkk bank also adds another 2% service fee per transaction to each withdrawal in person.... they used to be very friendly.... lol

so folks, remember if and when you withdraw your own hard earned money of 10k amount, there will be a service charge of 200 dollars by bkk bank....

OOOOOOoooouch....

or pay a 150 baht for each atm withdrawal.... darn it....

:D well, then i sneaked over the border to malaysia....

it was even more complicated.... the line at the bank there that day was even longer.... and the transaction itself took also longer to process....

well, oh well ....so are they trying indirectly to get us back to our old country.... LOL :D

Edited by nakachalet

Even though you don't live in thailand,open up A bank account.Transfer vsome money in it from the bank in your country.Thats the way to go.

You can't..you have to prove your residency here in Thailand to qualify first. Try using an AEON ATM..no 150 baht fee.

Edited by rodcourt49

Bring Travellers Cheques....they cost you to buy but its swings and roundabouts ...or try (as above)AEON...who hopefully still dont charge...

I will be back out for my first 2010 Jolli in 3 weeks time so hopefully.. :)

Even though you don't live in thailand,open up A bank account.Transfer vsome money in it from the bank in your country.Thats the way to go.

You can't..you have to prove your residency here in Thailand to qualify first. Try using an AEON ATM..no 150 baht fee.

Wrong - all you need to do is show your passport at a friendly Kasikorn bank and you will have a savings account in 20min, course need to wait a few days for the atm card with your name on it. :)

Wrong - all you need to do is show your passport at a friendly Kasikorn bank and you will have a savings account in 20min, course need to wait a few days for the atm card with your name on it. :)

I guess, as a resident, it's different. We have never been able to open an account in under an hour.

use AEON ATM's

40,000 baht in one transaction if your bank allows and no fees

you have only your home banks fees to find then

This is true, as of last Saturday.

Not only are there no fees, their rates even beat "Super Rich" which consistantly tops the rates lists. And, Super Rich doesn't accept ATM cards!

I am in Thailand 3 weeks on 3 weeks off for work and always bring cash with me. I am not sure about other countries but Australian banks rip you off on the exchange rate by about 4 baht per $ compared to changing it a the the exchange booths. The exchange on Sukhumvit Soi 7/1 is consistantly the best that I have found. If your here short time then bring cash. Best bang for ya buck.

... Australian banks rip you off on the exchange rate by about 4 baht per $ compared to changing it a the the exchange booths. ...

Actually, the banks in Oz aren't just sitting on a big stack of baht, waiting to sell them to the next fool who walks in, nor do they print it up on demand. There is some expense involved in procuring the cash.

I haven't used them, but my Stateside Credit Union simply charges a set fee for any amount of currency exchange.

That's the kind of info I was looking for!

Not sure if this will help you but before I came to LOS for a long visit, I placed thousands into my visa and mastercards. Then when I needed money, I went to a bank and made a cash advance on the plastic. They told me I had to take out Baht ... and of course that is what I wanted. They did not charge me anything for the transaction. The Plastic company wants to charge you interest if you use their money ... which of course I did not because I had deposited the money before leaving. They also had a service charge of $3 or $5 which they told me they would refund if I was using my money. I have not been back to ask for the money i.e. service charge ... but they assured me that they would be happy to refund the $.

When I cashed my AETC the local banks had a service fee as well as a government tax attached AND of course you are getting a shaved rate so they are even making more money off of you.

Hmmm .... have a drink, smile, and forget it ..... :)

Using Aeon ATM's, if you can find them, will only save the OP half the fee. If he is paying $5.00 per w/d to his US bank he should open an account at one of the many US banks that do not charge a fee. There have been several threads here listing them.

Can anyone else confirm this?
Bank of Ayudhya charges nothing for ATM withdrawal.

I think Bank of Ayudhya charges zero for one class of cards, namely VISA Debit Cards but charges 150 Baht for other types

The card used for the transaction in my post, #17, is a VISA Debit Card.

wire transfer enough money in one lump sum so you do not need to do it again. The ATM fees are ridiculous now, no doubt. If you do not have an account here, have a friend receive the transfer for you.

That is not a complete list. I am aware of two other Aeon ATMs-- one in Siam Paragon basement (next to key place) and another ATM at rear of the first floor of Big C store opposite Central World.

I also thank you for the list as I was unaware of the ATM at Ocean Tower 2 near Asok.

Edited by farangene

The best way to minimize atm fees is to transfer funds from your home country using a currency broker. Who get you as close to the interbank rate as Ive seen. They also have NO charges and funds have arrived for me in as little as 18 hours.

I saved 6000 GBP recently on a transfer of 100K

You then take your money out of whichever Thai bank you want.

Pm me for details if interested