Extension Of Stay Renewal On Retirement Visa

I have previously renewed my extension of stay and that of my partner 3 times using our joint bank account with THB1.6 m to qualify for the THB800k each three months prior. This is accompanied by a letter from my bank, HSBC, confirming that these funds are in our accounts for the requisite period etc.

I am about to do the same and notified HSBC, who have said they had heard that there may be a change of rules, in that joint accounts are no longer acceptable. They heard this in relation to an application "up country".

Can anyone advise whether this is applicable in Bangkok? Has anyone renewed recently with a joint account, with the THB800k x 2? Have the rules indeed changed?

Grateful for responses.

If none, can anyone suggest a good contact to call at Immigration?

Many thanks.

It would seem to me if you are getting b***ered about with bank accounts, then two alternatives would be:

1. you apply for the extension of stay based on retirement with 800K in your account, and your (foreign, I presume) partner subsequently applies as your dependent. No need for the 800K x 2, whch means you could have the other 800K deposited elsehere giving a better % return.

2. Apply for the extension(s) based on monthly income. A letter from your embassy negates the need for the 800K and having to mess about opening new bank accounts. Like you, I extend on the basis of retirement, and previously used the 800K method, in a joint account with my Thai wife.

Despite their best efforts, Immigration were unable to thwart my application, as I pointed out my Thai wife was my dependent, and if they wished, we would apply for her to stay in her own country as my dependent, and that we had no intention of breaking our own rule of 27 years - that everything we own is in joint names.

These words said to the senior officer shed immediate daylight on the tom-foolery of the junior, and the extension was granted.

With the arrival of the banking crisis, we decided to spend much of the 800K on a new car, and apply now only on the basis of monthly income with a letter from the British Embassy.

No bank book asked for, no 800K needed. :)

It would seem to me if you are getting b***ered about with bank accounts, then two alternatives would be:

1. you apply for the extension of stay based on retirement with 800K in your account, and your (foreign, I presume) partner subsequently applies as your dependent. No need for the 800K x 2, whch means you could have the other 800K deposited elsehere giving a better % return.

By using the word Partner I assume that they are not Married so is not entitled to apply as dependent.

"By using the word Partner I assume that they are not Married so is not entitled to apply as dependent."

I think you misunderstood what he said.

in a joint account with my Thai wife.

I pointed out my Thai wife was my dependent

we would apply for her to stay in her own country

The OP clearly states Partner

Slightly off topic,

when extending my tourist visa for 30 days in issan, i asked them to confirm the process of changing my tourist to non `o` then extension based on retirement...they stated at least 2 weeks left on my tourist visa or extension of tourist visa.....but then the bombshell, they state that your funds 800,000 baht to be in my personal account for a minimum of 3 MONTHS.....i`ve been led to believe on tv that the first extension on retirement ONLY requires 2 months seasoning, but following years 3 months....

I argued this point but they wouldn`t budge, then the produced the form and it clearly states 3 months and the form is dated 2551 v2.22 extension of stay for retirement (documents) form.....please advise. btw i can go to a different imigration office when the time comes, but i think they will just send me back to here as my ampher address is with them...thanks

A conversion to a non immigrant visa requires at least 21 days left on your permission to stay. For the first time the seasoning is indeed 2 months, but it could be that they require 3 months when converting.

If your adress is with them, you can indeed only go there.

A conversion to a non immigrant visa requires at least 21 days left on your permission to stay. For the first time the seasoning is indeed 2 months, but it could be that they require 3 months when converting.

Still not sure then, as the form doesn`t mention anything about (when converting from), but it does state the 1900baht fee if that helps?

Oh, and how do you convert a tourist visa to a non `o` if the tourist visa is from an overland entry as they only give 15 days on these..and not 21 days??

Edited by husskydog

15 day is a visa exempt entry not a tourist visa and would not provide the time required for conversion so it would not be done.

If over age 50 you should be able to easily obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa with a visit to a Consulate and use that for your start of retirement extensions of stay after being here 60 days.

Still not sure then, as the form doesn`t mention anything about (when converting from), but it does state the 1900baht fee if that helps?

Oh, and how do you convert a tourist visa to a non `o` if the tourist visa is from an overland entry as they only give 15 days on these..and not 21 days??

That is not a Tourist Visa. Cannot convert.

BTW Conversion is 2,000 Baht. Extension is 1,900 Baht.

The OP clearly states Partner

Correct. Partner, and we're both male, both farang. Previously the joint account with 2 x 800k worked perfectly, but taking the advice of HSBC, and lopburi, we have today opened sole time deposit accounts, as I don't want to risk having to redo it, and have to re-apply for the Non-B.