Do You Have A Thai Friend/family Who Needs Work?

If you have a Thai friend or family-member who is looking for work, please PM me their contact info and I'll set up an interview.

I'm looking for someone who can work 6 days a week, full-time. Afternoons/evenings on weekdays and all day on the weekend.

I really need someone who has their head screwed on straight and who is Reliable with a Capital "R". The last couple of people who've expressed interest in the job flaked out spectacularly (more on that later).

The job entails working with children, so someone with an Education degree or early childhood experience would be ideal, but if not, then I'll take someone who is willing and eager to learn new skills and accept professional training in this field. A positive attitude and a desire to put in extra effort and display a good work ethic are also required.

A solid comprehension of English is a must, as they will have to take instruction and advice from me, and my Thai is absolutely horrible. However, that's actually one of the side benefits of the job, at least for anyone looking to gain experience working in an English environment with farangs. The children's parents are very demanding (and I think that's a good thing) and they expect a high quality and professional learning experience for their children. So a neat appearance and polite/proper way of speaking are expected.

The job involves teaching Thai (and other subjects in Thai) to Thai children, as well as assisting during English classes. However, there is a very strong emphasis placed on methodology and so the person will be required to think about what they are doing and self-analyze their methods to seek out ways to improve the delivery of information to the children. If anyone is familiar with the Reggio-Emilia method (Italian school systems use this), that's a good starting point to get a general idea of what we are doing. Project-based learning and individual observation of students during their lessons will also be strongly encouraged.

In the evenings, Thai classes for adults (farang) who want to learn the language will be offered, and it WILL be a Thai-language only lesson--in other words, no sitting around talking (IN ENGLISH) about speaking Thai. However, there's some pretty good books/websites available for that, so material preparation should be minimal for that class.

We've had a real tough time finding an acceptable candidate for this position. Many people we've talked to have turned their noses up at the salary we are offering, but quite frankly, that's a bit short-sighted. First off, we are offering a lot more than what most government schools (and some private schools) offer their teachers. So while it's not a high salary, it is in keeping with what education pays people in this country. Secondly, it's an excellent opportunity for someone to gain experience and get some really good references (from myself and the parents) for future job opportunities. And finally, there is potential for growth in our business, and if things work out, a successful candidate could find themselves growing into a much higher salary (and more responsible position) as our business matures.

So there are other non-monetary factors to consider, and anyone interested in the job should bear that in mind. We can help out on accomodation if needed, but there are also plenty of vans and buses into our area, so commuting shouldn't be a problem either.

The last guy we hired lasted two days (well, not really, just one day actually). He showed up for work on the first day a half-an-hour late (bad sign, I know), and on the second day, he didn't show up at all! He did call us, though. But he called three hours after he was supposed to be at work, and said, "Uh, my teacher said I had to take a test today" (BS, I know). I told him to forget about working for us, but I don't think he understood me, because on the third day, he shows up. Now, maybe I would have let it slide if he came in with an honest apology, but instead he came in AN HOUR LATE!! And he just said, "Uh, sorry about yesterday", as if it was no big deal.

The mind boggles. :o

I said to him, "Did you honestly think you still had a job here?" I don't know where he got the idea that a job meant he could show up at his convenience, but I felt I had to disabuse him of that notion.

Unfortunately, that puts me in the position where I need to find someone to take this guy's place. We'd like to fill the position as soon as possible, but we are not at all interested in just taking the next warm body that walks in the door. We are really looking for a quality individual who'd like to grow with us as our business grows.

So, again, if you have a friend or family member who might fill our needs, please contact me via PM on these forums with their information.

Thanks.

Oh yeah, I forgot a few things:

The job is in Nonthaburi and class sizes are small (only 5 to 10 students per class). Also, the hours are Monday-Thursday, 2:00PM to 8:00PM and Saturday-Sunday, 9:00AM to 6:00PM. We're closed on Fridays.

Please pass this information on to anyone you know who might be interested in work. Thanks.

Hi Pudgimelon,

Maybe you are eager to get someone to fill the position, but your presentation of the “position” and concentration on your own requirements rather than the conditions of the job and opportunities for the future of anyone who is accepted seem out of sync. and distinctly unattractive:

00 : 04 : 09

You Post your requirements, and qualifications for applicants

11 : 31 : 22 (more than 11 hours later)

With the comment “Oh yeah, I forgot a few things”

You get around to specifying the place of employment, hours of work etc.

13 : 02 : 11

You finally quote the Salary offered – with a range of 40% bottom to top

The fact that your last appointee felt it was perfectly reasonable to schlep into your Office on the 3rd day, late, after being absent on his second day of work, and still feel that he was employed there is more of a reflection on your own lack of managerial / organisational skills than his appreciation of what was expected of him.

Patrick

My pal had a great restaurant on Samui.

He found that the only way staff would learn to be punctual was to fine them 20B  a minute that they were late.

It worked. :o

I'll bet they got more than even, too. TiT :D

Edited by Ajarn

He found that the only way staff would learn to be punctual was to fine them 20B  a minute that they were late.

It worked. :o

So if they was 5 mins late they would have to work the rest of the day for half a days wage, bet that worked well.

Fully agree with p_brownstone, I bet the former employee thought <deleted> this after the first day and turned up on the third hoping to get an extra days pay for turning up to get the sack.

I wonder how long the OP has had this business in LOS?

It worked. :D

So if they was 5 mins late they would have to work the rest of the day for half a days wage, bet that worked well.

Fully agree with p_brownstone, I bet the former employee thought <deleted> this after the first day and turned up on the third hoping to get an extra days pay for turning up to get the sack.

I wonder how long the OP has had this business in LOS?

Would work with anyone i reckon... :o

totster :D

Hi Pudgimelon,

Maybe you are eager to get someone to fill the position, but your presentation of the “position” and concentration on your own requirements rather than the conditions of the job and opportunities for the future of anyone who is accepted seem out of sync. and distinctly unattractive:

The fact that your last appointee felt it was perfectly reasonable to schlep into your Office on the 3rd day, late, after being absent on his second day of work, and still feel that he was employed there is more of a reflection on your own lack of managerial / organisational skills than his appreciation of what was expected of him.

Patrick

Points taken, but ease up a bit on the criticism, OK? I put the original post up to see if anyone had a friend or family member who might be looking for work. As such, the tone of the post was more informal than a proper job ad might be. Likewise, it was at the end of a long day, so I did leave off a few important details, which I later corrected.

As for the guy schleping into my office on Day 3, I'm not sure how much clearer I could have been on the phone with him. When he called on Day 2, I specifically told him he no longer had a job, but perhaps his English wasn't as good as he claimed, or more likely, he just figured, "What the heck, I'll give it a shot and see if he let's it slide." I didn't.

Today, the guy's MOM actually showed up asking if I could let her son work "now and then, whenever he might need some extra money." :o

I'm really not sure how much clearer a "NO" I can give while still remaining professional and courteous, but I really don't think my management skills are at fault here. Heheh.

Edited by Pudgimelon

Hi Pudgimelon,

Patrick

Points taken, but ease up a bit on the criticism, OK? I put the original post up to see if anyone had a friend or family member who might be looking for work. As such, the tone of the post was more informal than a proper job ad might be. Likewise, it was at the end of a long day, so I did leave off a few important details, which I later corrected.

As for the guy schleping into my office on Day 3, I'm not sure how much clearer I could have been on the phone with him. When he called on Day 2, I specifically told him he no longer had a job, but perhaps his English wasn't as good as he claimed, or more likely, he just figured, "What the heck, I'll give it a shot and see if he let's it slide." I didn't.

Today, the guy's MOM actually showed up asking if I could let her son work "now and then, whenever he might need some extra money." :o

I'm really not sure how much clearer a "NO" I can give while still remaining professional and courteous, but I really don't think my management skills are at fault here. Heheh.

As he didn't understand you on the telephone, oh sorry, as he didn't understand English on the telephone I would be interested in your interview technique, especially when you state in the earlier post you don't want to just employ the first warm boby that walks through the door.

As he didn't understand you on the telephone, oh sorry, as he didn't understand English on the telephone I would be interested in your interview technique, especially when you state in the earlier post you don't want to just employ the first warm boby that walks through the door.

You misunderstand.

I believe he did understand me quite well. I just think he was feigning ignorance when he came in the next day in the hopes of me giving him a break.

Anyways, what's with all the harsh words, guys? I'm just looking for someone who needs work and wants work. I didn't start this thread so that people could take potshots at my management style. Whatever way I choose to run my business is exactly that, my business. So let's leave it at that, OK?

As for the position, it'll be open until the right candidate comes along, so if anyone has friends or family looking for work in the Nonthaburi area, send me a PM and I'll contact them.

The salary you mention might be a bit higher than public schools, but language schools using Thais to teach pay significantly more like 13K (and that's Rayong, not BKK, salaries) for someone that sounds like what you are asking for with the level of English skills and for the days/hours you are asking for.

The salary you mention might be a bit higher than public schools, but language schools using Thais to teach pay significantly more like 13K (and that's Rayong, not BKK, salaries) for someone that sounds like what you are asking for with the level of English skills and for the days/hours you are asking for.

Thanks for the info. If that's truly the case, then I wouldn't mind adjusting the salary after a trial period to keep it better in line with what other places are paying.

We're just starting out right now, so the salary we are offering is what we can afford at this time. Later on, I believe there's a good potential for solid growth, so I see no reason why we wouldn't generously reward employees who helped us get our start.

Thanks for the info. If that's truly the case, then I wouldn't mind adjusting the salary after a trial period to keep it better in line with what other places are paying.

We're just starting out right now, so the salary we are offering is what we can afford at this time. Later on, I believe there's a good potential for solid growth, so I see no reason why we wouldn't generously reward employees who helped us get our start.

I agree that, at the low-end, 50 baht per hour for a qualified language teacher is less than half what most Thai teachers get in most language schools, but it sounds like you're trying to be reasonable and flexible, too. Tough to ask for more than that, it seems to me.

Best of luck to you in your business. :o

I would also say your salary is kind of low for the qualifications required. I know good private Thai schools offer teachers 20,000 to 30,000 baht, not to mention language schools, and their jobs seem less involved. I would think a pay of at least 25,000 would be adequate for attracting the right candidate. Alternatively, you may consider paying a certain amount of commision with a lower base salary--10,000 baht.

Best of Luck

Depending on experience and certification, we can offer between 7,000 and 10,000 baht a month. That's a bit more than what most government schools and many private schools pay their Thai teachers, so it's a good starting salary for someone interested in educating kids.

My Thai sister in law teaches English in a Govt school in a small town near Kanchanaburi. She gets nearly 14000 Bht per month.

Oh yeah, I forgot a few things:

The job is in Nonthaburi and class sizes are small (only 5 to 10 students per class).  Also, the hours are Monday-Thursday, 2:00PM to 8:00PM and Saturday-Sunday, 9:00AM to 6:00PM.  We're closed on Fridays.

Please pass this information on to anyone you know who might be interested in work.  Thanks.

If I stay in Bkk at the moment, I would have sending you my application. Is it possible end of this year ? ;-)

Able to speak English and German fluently and able to teach thai to Farang too. Working as Interpreter ( German-thai) here in Europe. For parttime job would be very appreciated for me to work with you.

Depending on experience and certification, we can offer between 7,000 and 10,000 baht a month.  That's a bit more than what most government schools and many private schools pay their Thai teachers, so it's a good starting salary for someone interested in educating kids.

As you've probably noticed, a very small % of Thais can speak really good english. Therefor the salaries in the market for such people are much higher compared to those who don't. You expect them to understand profound concepts in english, not only simple instructions, which require a deep understanding of the language.

Maybe it doesn't sound like a big deal, being able to speak english properly, but in thailand it is. I think your salary range is unrealistic.

Edited by ~G~

As you've probably noticed, a very small % of Thais can speak really good english. Therefor the salaries in the market for such people are much higher compared to those who don't. You expect them to understand profound concepts in english, not only simple instructions, which require a deep understanding of the language.

Maybe it doesn't sound like a big deal, being able to speak english properly, but in thailand it is. I think your salary range is unrealistic.

No, you're mistaken. I don't expect them to understand profound concepts. I expect them to be able to follow simple instructions and LEARN to understand profound concepts.

As I said, this is an opportunity for someone interested in improving their English skills. The salary range is not unrealistic as there are many schools in this area who pay their teachers much less.

It's a good "training wage" and certainly will go up according to the individual's skill, attitude and dedication.

If I stay in Bkk at the moment, I would have sending you my application. Is it possible end of this year ? ;-)

Able to speak English and German fluently and able to teach thai to Farang too. Working as Interpreter ( German-thai) here in Europe. For parttime job would be very appreciated for me to work with you.

It certainly is possible. We home to expand in the near future as our student enrollment grows. Eventually we'll be hiring more farang and Thai teachers interested in a truly unique teaching environment.

When you get back to Bangkok, send me a PM and we can set up an interview. We may have a position open at that time.

I would also say your salary is kind of low for the qualifications required.  I know good private Thai schools offer teachers 20,000 to 30,000 baht, not to mention language schools, and their jobs seem less involved.  I would think a pay of at least 25,000 would be adequate for attracting the right candidate.  Alternatively, you may consider paying a certain amount of commision with a lower base salary--10,000 baht.

Best of Luck

The salary is what we can afford to pay right now. If it's too low, that'll make it hard for us to find a qualified person, but it's what we can pay and there's nothing more we can do about that right now.

I'm sure there are private schools and even some government schools that pay a lot more, but they are not in this area. I've checked around, and in this area, new teachers start out sub-8,000 and yearly salary increases are not spectacular. We can beat that, and so that actually puts us on the high-end for teaching salaries in this area.

Rents are low in this area, so that's another cost savings. So someone might do the math and find out they could have more in pocket at our place than somewhere downtown that pays double, but also entails an expensive commute and apartment. Maybe. Maybe not.

The point is moot really. This is what we can pay. Good or not. Later on, we'll pay more if it's deserved, but right now, this is it.

Not all factors in an employment opportunity are monetary. I've already stated a number of positive factors in our favor and there may be some people out there who are willing to work for less, because it means working in a better environment with less stress and more rewarding work.

Some people might not place a value on those things, but other people might find them to be priceless.

No, you're mistaken. I don't expect them to understand profound concepts. I expect them to be able to follow simple instructions and LEARN to understand profound concepts.

As I said, this is an opportunity for someone interested in improving their English skills. The salary range is not unrealistic as there are many schools in this area who pay their teachers much less.

It's a good "training wage" and certainly will go up according to the individual's skill, attitude and dedication.

However, there is a very strong emphasis placed on methodology and so the person will be required to think about what they are doing and self-analyze their methods to seek out ways to improve the delivery of information to the children

Sorry, but if you want to explain the above to the average Thai in english, you have very little chances of success.

Edited by ~G~

I would also say your salary is kind of low for the qualifications required.  I know good private Thai schools offer teachers 20,000 to 30,000 baht, not to mention language schools, and their jobs seem less involved.  I would think a pay of at least 25,000 would be adequate for attracting the right candidate.   Alternatively, you may consider paying a certain amount of commision with a lower base salary--10,000 baht.

Best of Luck

The salary is what we can afford to pay right now. If it's too low, that'll make it hard for us to find a qualified person, but it's what we can pay and there's nothing more we can do about that right now.

I'm sure there are private schools and even some government schools that pay a lot more, but they are not in this area. I've checked around, and in this area, new teachers start out sub-8,000 and yearly salary increases are not spectacular. We can beat that, and so that actually puts us on the high-end for teaching salaries in this area.

Rents are low in this area, so that's another cost savings. So someone might do the math and find out they could have more in pocket at our place than somewhere downtown that pays double, but also entails an expensive commute and apartment. Maybe. Maybe not.

The point is moot really. This is what we can pay. Good or not. Later on, we'll pay more if it's deserved, but right now, this is it.

Not all factors in an employment opportunity are monetary. I've already stated a number of positive factors in our favor and there may be some people out there who are willing to work for less, because it means working in a better environment with less stress and more rewarding work.

Some people might not place a value on those things, but other people might find them to be priceless.

Base salaries don't always tell the whole story in many Thai schools. There are almost always extra stipends for special projects, not to mention tutoring for extra money...

Benefits are another issue. Govt teachers are eligible for loans, allowances, sometimes free housing, free workshops and seminars, etc. Over and above paid holidays, health benefits, pensions, etc.

It's only fair to compare your salary with others if you offer at least the same, or better, benefits to your teacher.

Being a good boss is a benefit with value, too :o

"Pudgimelon" There seems to be more knockers than one can poke a stick at.

Some a genuine in their critique and are offering helpful advice for a new business others :D have obviously failed to read your initial post in the spirit it was posted.

The latter have reached a point in the text which stuck in their craw & this has coloured their responses. :o

I think it is an extremely good opportunity but unfortunately I can not teach Thai - there are more important things in life than money & of course I expect a few flamers on that particular point "ready & waiting. (hint 7 steps)

All the best with your business endeavours you may even look to the older generation some have fair english skills and are of course fluent in their own language.

Post 1997 many businessmen/women were forced out of their positions and took up anything available but age is against them returning to their former posts.

Mijan24 :D

AGREE, if you've no 1 to refer let it be. Poster is trying to help another and receives bashing and criticism for what reason????

I also at one time posted to refer someone to a position but was completely blind-sided by negativism. :o Wonder if its worth extending your kindness here?

Pudgimelon hang in there! Despite the negativism if it leads to a quality employee...good deal. :D

AGREE, if you've no 1 to refer let it be. Poster is trying to help another and receives bashing and criticism for what reason????

I also at one time posted to refer someone to a position but was completely blind-sided by negativism.  :o Wonder if its worth extending your kindness here?

Pudgimelon hang in there! Despite the negativism if it leads to a quality employee...good deal.  :D

Thanks. Still looking for someone. Pursuing more normal means of finding an employee. Only posted here originally get some leads, the negativity wasn't necessary, but I didn't take it personally. This is the internet, after all, you just have to take the good with the bad.