Important Things To Know For Buy A Old Big Bike

snowgard

Hello bikers,

I want to buy a old big bike here in Thailand. My interests start from 400ccm-900ccm from the years 1983 - 1999 for a good cheap price. Sometimes you can see some at thaisecondhand.com starting from 10.000 Baht - 100.000 Baht.

I've read a lot of threads in this forum, but I don't find all information I need.

If I want buy the bike I need the following papers from the old owner:

1. Green book

2. import papers ? if have green book, I just need it?

3. tax invoice

4. Signed copy from owner-id-card

5. ???

6. ???

Ok, but what happend if the bike was parking for 6-8 years in garage and nobody used it and nobody paid the tax, etc.

If I buy the bike now, I must pay the tax for the last 6 years or something other?

If it don't have the plate, what happen?

What other important things I must take care? Ok, check the frame and engine number, but what more?

I hope you can help me!!!

More than 3 years without paying tax the plate is deregged.. Forget it..

No plate.. forget it..

Dont forget the page 18 excise tax information (read threads)..

I would say that the bikes that are out there in the under 100k price range, will cost you more then a new ER6 over a 2 - 3 year ownership.. The fact theres no dealer parts network, getting spares, getting service, etc etc etc.. Finance a ER6 and you would pay monthly what many of the 'cheap' big bikes cost to keep on the road. Of course you may find a gem, my first CBR lasted years and used some brakes, a battery, and a chain and sproket set.. But many others havent.

More than 3 years without paying tax the plate is deregged.. Forget it..

No plate.. forget it..

Dont forget the page 18 excise tax information (read threads)..

It's so difficult to register it again if it was registered before?

About age , parts, etc. ok it's right that in real a newer 2hand bike is cheaper, you get all parts, ..., but I like old bikes and to screw about it. It's the same with old cars!!! :)

How I can edit my first topic and add the "page 18 excise tax information"???

Edited by snowgard

THE #1 important thing you need to do when buying an older bike, and I can't stress this enough, is go to you local Land Transport Department (LTD) with the bike, the book, the owner, and your list of doc's BEFORE any cash changes hands or any contract signed. Don't agree to pay ANYTHING unless you make it clear you will only pay the minimal transfer title fee. There will likely be other fees involved for who knows what. Make the owner pay for anything extra. With these older grey imports with no Page 18 import tax info or reciepts, it's common for one hurdle to be put up in front of you, you fix the problem, then another hurdle appears. Insist the seller pay everything or walk away. There's plenty of other bikes out there. And if you plan one bringing the bike to Phuket, forget it unless you have a perfect book and docs. One little thing out of place and the answer quickly becomes "Can not" regardless of how much money you offer to pay. You mentioned frame and engine numbers..I had that problem. Make sure the LTD checks before you pay a satang.

Also, you'll need to establish residency before you can put it in your name. In the past this meant going to immigration with some evidence of your residing here, like bills addressed to your home or a rental contract, or a copy of the house book with a letter from your landlord stating you are renting from them or residing at their house. Any of those may work to get the residency letter. Rules are changing and their are stories of immigration offices not wanting to do this anymore, but a 100-200 baht palm greaser should get you what you want. When I bought my Ninja 650R, all the dealer needed was my passport and the receipt from my latest 90-day residency reporting which had my reported address on it.

Agree with LivinLos, Its a much better idea to pay 40% down on a new Thai made ER6f or Ninja 650R. Maintenance is a bitch on the older bikes.

How I can edit my first topic and add the "page 18 excise tax information"???

You can ask a mod, but why? Ppl will read down the thread.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Wot ScubaBuddha said. Also, have lots of extra money for buying parts and rebuilding. About B50,000 is the usual amount to get the bike in basic safe, mostly reliable condition.

Before you begin the process of making your life needlessly difficult, stock up on Tylenol, Valium, and Preparation H.

It ain't worth it. You've been warned.

Wot ScubaBuddha said. Also, have lots of extra money for buying parts and rebuilding. About B50,000 is the usual amount to get the bike in basic safe, mostly reliable condition.

Before you begin the process of making your life needlessly difficult, stock up on Tylenol, Valium, and Preparation H.

It ain't worth it. You've been warned.

I disagree about it ain't worth it. depends on what you buy. BUT I do agree it's sometimes a big headache :D:)

(with a book. your looking at 30-40 thou to start, then about 25-35thou to get it in a good condition)

Edited by thaicbr

I'm seconding those who warn against buying used - I got shafted too many times. Twice I made the mistake of pouring money into a bottomless project. The parts bill was for thousands and no receipts. In other words, I fear I got taken as well and the thousands were Euros, not Baht.

When on a budget, there is a Thai made 250 cc with decent ergonomics. The engine is a Cagiva design and soon a SACHS 250 cc enduro with a wet weight of 122 kg should be for sale for under 100 grand. The Kawasaki 250s are ~ 150 grand. And the Kawasaki Er6n is the ultimate big bike bargain these days! :)

Thank's for your help!!! I really must think about what I want. My problem with the smaller bikes (150-400ccm) is that I am a big guy with 1,89m and 120kg and it look very funny if I sit on a small bike!!! ;-)

The Thais in my village smile soooooo much ........., if they see me on the Honda Dream from my wife.

And a downpayment I don't want. I must pay for the next 3 years my car down.

Edited by snowgard

I'm about the same height as you are, and my "older" 250 gets me around town, up the mountains, and into the other provinces. I paid just over 50,000 for it (with green book) 2 years ago, and it's been running very well since.

That being said, I also got burned on another older bike... same size, but it just never ran well, parts were very difficult to find, and now it's a chore trying to unload it onto someone else. Of course, the full extent of its problems are explained to anyone interested.

Phantoms look bigger than Honda Dreams (Thais think they are "choppers," really do) and have a much more comfortable seats. Pimp a Phantom out and it can look really big. Saddlebags help, sticking out on both sides.

Let's all be sure not to look funny to Thais. Horrible feeling, that. I mean, they never look funny at all, so you really stand out; and after looking funny, you just want to kill yourself. So if spending a lot of time and money on an old junk bike is the only way to not look funny to the Thais, then so be it.