Money Exchange At The Airport?

Titus

I will be checking out of my apartment the day before I departure, since I should be receiving my deposit back (and won't have time to spend it) I was wondering if it's possible to change it (to dollars) at the airport. If so, what would be the approx. rate? Thanks in advance.

My problem is the reverse of the above, so I hope somebody can help here too. I have an ATM debit card and Visa card, plus cash in Australian dollars.

I leave Perth (Australia) and arrive in Bangkok (Thailand) at 9.40pm. One night in Bangkok, before catching the 10am flight from BKK to Khon Kaen the next day. From there, it's a one hour taxi ride to my Thai partner's remore Issan village, where I will be spending one week.

No ATM in the village. Nearest one is Chum Phae (40km before the village).

So, should I either change my Australian dollars in Bangkok on arrival or wait until I get to Khon Kaen and find a money changer or ATM.

I have checked out Travelex and I will lose 11 per cent if I change at Perth or BKK airports. I will lose 5% through an ATM plus incur a $AUD5 transaction fee for each transaction I do overseas.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I am Australian and have lived in Bangkok for over 12 years now. I am currently in Sydney and would never consider using Travelex for exchange - they are a complete rip-off, as you have already noted.

As you probably know, the general going rate is around 30 baht to A$1 (in fact 30.584 according to the Bloomberg currency calculator at 1.11am SYD time on the 9th May). The only thing you can really do is to be aware of the rate you should be getting, and try to find a place that will give you as close to that as possible.

You are never going to actually get the mid-rate quoted in these calculators - if you are buying Thai Baht you might get anywhere from 27 to 28.5 Baht per dollar (the latter figure would be extremely good and probably not really achievable). When you buy Australian dollars if you are travelling from Thailand to Australia, you can expect to pay maybe 32 to 33 Baht for 1 dollar.

In Bangkok International Airport there are several bank's money changer desks just outside after customs before you actually hit the public area itself - these are usually fair to middling as far as rates go - sometimes not as good as outside, but usually not as bad as in Australia. Be extremely careful of offers to change money on the street - I prefer to just take a very slightly poorer exchange rate, but at least you will not get robbed.

I never buy Thai Baht in Australia, but by all means check if the overall rate including all the taxes or charges and commissions the bloody Australian rip-off agents want still comes out best (extremely unlikely).... on the way back I would usually expect that the exchange rate to buy Australian dollars would be better in Thailand, as the Aussie banks don't want Baht. Keep a record of the rates in both directions so you will have an idea of what you should get - so check out the rates to buy back Oz dollars before you leave Perth.

There may be some who know the current rates in Khon Kaen, and how they relate to the rates in BKK, so perhaps someone could let us know what they are currently getting from local changers.

I usually use the banks to exchange foreign currency when I get back from overseas business trips - less hassle...

Must say I am surprised at the 5% and A$5 per transaction - that seems awful steep - is the 5% you mentioned related to the exchange rate? If so, it is probably unavoidable, but the A$5 is a rip-off...

Which Bank??

:o

Edited by Greer

Changing money at the airport is easy.

The exchange rate is slightly down on what you get in a downtown bank, but it is considerably easier and quicker. The best deals are for exchanges from Baht to US$, any other exchanges mean a double exchange; Bt to US$, then US$ to Foreign currency. With 2 sets of commisions..

Exchange rates at the Exchange Booths do vary throughout the day; as a general rule of thumb: If the banks are open then the exchange rate is better. Evenings and weekends generally see the worse rates at the Booths.

Exchange it anywhere but the airport - you will get raped.

If you have to make a special journey to a bank, then the airport will be more like a friendly grope. At least it's over quickly..

I used to get robbed using my atm card to draw money from my visa or savings account (Australian card in Bangkok ATM), the charges do add up.

It was always the same - draw 20,000 or 10,000 or whatever, then go shopping or drinking, run out, draw another 5,000, run out the next day in Panthip, draw some more.

So I opened a SCB savings account - need only passport, get a debit card/ATM/Mastercard Electronic.

A week before I arrive to Thailand, do an online transfer from my Aus savings account to my THB account - costs AUD$20. Then use my local card when I arrive to draw in Baht, no fees.

Advantages are not needing to draw large sums in one time, and no charges for multiple withdrawals - if you make regular trips to LOS this would be my recommendation

This helps if you would be making more than 4-5 withdrawals, or dont want to withdraw large sums at one time (security).

is this any help?? not really for the original post, but might appeal to those who offered replies.

I should arrive at the airport at around five in the morning so I guess at that time the exchange rate will be horrible... would it be ok if I approached someone in line at the exchange booth and offered to change my baht into whatever currency they have (preferably dollars)? Or would that get me in trouble? I'm talking of about six thousand baht...

I think you are worrying to much. The rates at the airport are pretty fare and as far as I am aware, actually the same as downtown bank branches. BKK bank for example have a standard update for their foreign exchange booths and I have never felt its any different from a downtown booth to the one's at the airport. If your really paranoid go upstairs once you clear customs and between terminals one and two their are about 4 banks altogether on the departures level. But personally I would not bother and certainly not for 6,000 baht.

^What he said.

Chill, dude.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

The pennies you may lose on exchange rate variances are not worth this he11 you're putting yourself through.

Have a safe, relaxing trip.

jb

Edited by joe beets

I should arrive at the airport at around five in the morning so I guess at that time the exchange rate will be horrible... would it be ok if I approached someone in line at the exchange booth and offered to change my baht into whatever currency they have (preferably dollars)? Or would that get me in trouble? I'm talking of about six thousand baht...

Oh my God. 6000 baht. :o

My problem is the reverse of the above, so I hope somebody can help here too. I have an ATM debit card and Visa card, plus cash in Australian dollars.

I leave Perth (Australia) and arrive in Bangkok (Thailand) at 9.40pm. One night in Bangkok, before catching the 10am flight from BKK to Khon Kaen the next day. From there, it's a one hour taxi ride to my Thai partner's remore Issan village, where I will be spending one week.

No ATM in the village. Nearest one is Chum Phae (40km before the village).

So, should I either change my Australian dollars in Bangkok on arrival or wait until I get to Khon Kaen and find a money changer or ATM.

I have checked out Travelex and I will lose 11 per cent if I change at Perth or BKK airports. I will lose 5% through an ATM plus incur a $AUD5 transaction fee for each transaction I do overseas.

Peter

Aussie banks really shaft you guys,I thought Ned Kelly was dead :o .I get charged £1.68 per transaction e.g., on Bt 15000 less than 1%. If they have a TOPS (branded shopping mall type complex) in Khon Kaen use that ,best rate in LOS!

(Now somebody will tell us of a better rate.)

PS, use debit card , use visa only in emergency.

Edited by roscoe

I used to get robbed using my atm card to draw money from my visa or savings account (Australian card in Bangkok ATM), the charges do add up.

It was always the same - draw 20,000 or 10,000 or whatever, then go shopping or drinking, run out, draw another 5,000, run out the next day in Panthip, draw some more.

So I opened a SCB savings account - need only passport, get a debit card/ATM/Mastercard Electronic.

A week before I arrive to Thailand, do an online transfer from my Aus savings account to my THB account - costs AUD$20.  Then use my local card when I arrive to draw in Baht, no fees.

Advantages are not needing to draw large sums in one time, and no charges for multiple withdrawals - if you make regular trips to LOS this would be my recommendation

This helps if you would be making more than 4-5 withdrawals, or dont want to withdraw large sums at one time (security).

is this any help??  not really for the original post, but might appeal to those who offered replies.

What is an SCB account? :o

PM me if you wish :D thanks

if your changeing cash go to VASU on sukhumvit road by soi 11, they give better rates than the standard bank rates, but only cash NOT tc,s or cards. been going now for 20 yrs plus. by the way VASU looks like a travel agent, the money change is in the back.