Permission To Build

Hi there

this question's about a very large 5 block of flats development which have been approved to go up bang in the middle of a residential area in Chang Kian Chang Mai.

The residents have had enough and protests, including by some pretty influential neighbours, have started.

At a protest consultation at the Tesabahn Monday with TV present they were told that it was "too late". The flats had already been given a permit to build. There are still grounds to appeal to the Environmental Impact agency in BKK but I'm interested in another aspect.

Do the tesabahn, like authorities elsewhere in the world, have a duty to inform local residents to ask for any objections before permission is given? It seems to me if this didn't happen (which it didn't) then there are grounds for appeal to a court. The tesabahn was saying hey it's too late, we gave them permission and they could sue us if we stopped them. I have suggested to teh Chang Kian residents group that yes, let them be sued!

So two things:

I'd be very interested in the specific regulations for a case like this (specifics because something was mentioned about there being a notice given but not that anyone local would know about.

I'd also be interested in the general aspects of building permission procedure for the building of a house or small group of houses.

thanks in advance

SJ

No-one ever apply for building permission?

Yes, but not for a 5 storey tower :)

When we applied for permission to build in Pathum Thani I don't recall the locals being asked / informed, but they knew anyway as we'd already had discussions about fencing and shared boundary walls.

One neighbour (a well known pain in the butt) insisted that we built a wall next to hers rather than just rendering our side of her wall, apparently the wall is entirely on her land (SOP in Thailand) and we would be 'stealing' about 5cm by 20m of her property (we did offer to buy the 1m2 but she wasn't up for that either), others were more accommodating :D

No-one ever apply for building permission?

have

the area has a soning, probably 25 meters high. If no other building has been build 5 storeys high within this sone, tessabaan has to ask residents if they are ok, If residents are not at home when asking, they are ok. residents, does not have to be owners or registered residents in Tabien Baan

when buildingpermit has been issued, there is no return if its within soning regulations

In my residential neighborhood resently a 7 storeys charter hotel has been build. No other building higher than 3 storeys. Tessabaan did ask some residents, but not one single owner or registered resident in Tabien Baan was asked. Hotel completed, 120 pink tourists in the neighborhood. Still, its better than a pig farm