Media Gag Order Sought For Thaksin's Asset Seizure Case

webfact

Gag order sought for Thaksin's asset seizure case

BANGKOK: -- The two adult children of ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra plan on Thursday to petition the Supreme Court to issue a gag order banning the media to speculate on the judicial decision ahead of the verdict session, scheduled for February 26.

Panthongtae and Pinthongta Shinawatra will submit the petition on their family's behalf.

The gag order, if approved, will also prohibit members of the defunct Asset Examination Committee from commenting on the asset seizure.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-10

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

IMPORTANT UPDATE FOR THAIVISA MEMBERS

The Supreme Court may issue a media gag order banning all Thai media to speculate on the judicial decision ahead of the Thaksin verdict session, scheduled for February 26.

If the gag order is approved, we may not be able to discuss or update you on current news via our forum, website or newsletter.

NOW: Be sure to follow Thaivisa on Facebook or Twitter to keep you instantly updated:

IT's EASY:

Join us on Facebook: http://facebook.com/farang

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/georgebkk

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gag order - well that's a shame. It's sad that governments (not just in Thailand) do not understand the importance of transparency..unless they have something to hide of course.. which again is a shame

totster :)

Unless who has something to hide...the gag order is being sought by Thaksin's family not the government.

Gag order - well that's a shame. It's sad that governments (not just in Thailand) do not understand the importance of transparency..unless they have something to hide of course.. which again is a shame

totster :D

Well that would mean that anything previously on this forum and any future remarks until the court case will have to be removed.

What happened to the freedom of the press and freedom of speech. :)

Before you say "that's a shame" - which it is - you should read who has asked for the "gag".

I think it says a lot about one man's "desire" for democracy and belief in freedom of speech.

You might even say he's "returning to type"...

Edited by ThomChook

Join us on Facebook: http://facebook.com/farang

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/georgebkk

would certainly prefer to check the news anywhere else than joining so called "social networks" that sell your private information.

There's going to be plenty news available from other sites based abroad.

Edited by sunsamourai

BANGKOK: -- (NNT) – Hong Kong's Public Affairs Asia Magazine has bestowed the Gold Standard Award in Government Transparency for 2009 to the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) of Thailand.

Speaking about the award, National Anti-Corruption Commissioner Prof Pakdee Pothisiri stated that the NACC was selected to receive the award for its outstanding performance in terms of transparency promotion in the international level. He added that the award was a proof that the NACC seriously dealt with corruption.

Prof Pakdee continued to say that the award would also provide a very good opportunity to enhance the positive image of the country after its transparency was found to decline last year. Thailand ranked 84th in the Corruption Perceptions Index report released by the Transparency International.

In addition, the commissioner noted the award also suited the policy of the NACC this year designated as the year of transparency. He said the NACC would use the award to encourage moral and transparency as well as suppress corruption activities for an ethical and moral-based society.

Other two shortlisted candidates for the award are Ogilvy Public Affairs in Beijing of China for the "Tales of Hope"–China's National Population and Family Planning Commission's Communication Strategy and the Corruption Eradication Commission of Indonesia.

Love that word Transparency!

What happened to the freedom of the press and freedom of speech?

I'll ask Suwicha Thakor when he gets out of the nick in about 2019.

Don't be so flippant about a very serious issue.

This is not related to the topic here, where in Thaksin's children - not the government - have aksed for a gag to be placed on discussion of the court's verdict of the current trial of their father.

Edited by ThomChook

Before you say "that's a shame" - which it is - you should read who has asked for the "gag".

I think it says a lot about one man's "desire" for democracy and belief in freedom of speech.

Noted..whichever way it happens.. it is a shame, and I hope the Supreme Court does the right thing

Luckily their are foreign media operating from abroad will they block those websites and broadcasts too? Everybody knows the outcome already. No speculation necessary, it is a certainty. Bookmakers make you a millionaire for every baht you put on Thaksin keeping his money. Suthep and friends need it..

Do you people not read the article - even the first sentence? No wonder he has such blind support. If you bother reading, it is not the government trying to block the news, it's The Shinawatra's. Sheesh

BANGKOK: -- The two adult children of ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra plan on Thursday to petition the Supreme Court to issue a gag order banning the media to speculate on the judicial decision ahead of the verdict session, scheduled for February 26.

Panthongtae and Pinthongta Shinawatra will submit the petition on their family's behalf.

Noted..whichever way it happens.. it is a shame, and I hope the Supreme Court does the right thing

Yes, it is a shame. But perhaps it also shows the true colours of Thaksin.

Like you, let's hope the court decides the request independantly, on its merits.

But you have to feel sorry for the judiciary in these things - damned if they do, damned if they don't ...who'd want to be a judge !?

Edited by ThomChook

Wonder if it will apply to all the red organs? Seems a bit of an anti-democratic move by anyone who claims to be democratically inclined.

And whoever said This Place was a "Democracy" ???? By What definition?

It takes a lot more then an elected government to create a True Democracy... something that an Uneducated Population is never clued into!

Which explains a lot, also!

CS

The poster I quoted asked a question about freedom of speech in Thailand. My "flippant" reply summed it up in my humble opinion. I think locking somebody up for a decade for posting a video is slightly more of a "serious issue" of freedom of speech than Thaksin's brood whining about people speculating about a court verdict.

Sorry for the thread hijack folks.

The poster I quoted asked a question about freedom of speech in Thailand. My "flippant" reply summed it up in my humble opinion. I think locking somebody up for a decade for posting a video is slightly more of a "serious issue" of freedom of speech than Thaksin's brood whining about people speculating about a court verdict.

Sorry for the thread hijack folks.

Agree.

But, this is also an important issue, as I believe it shows the true colours of the man.

Let's not get this "gag" topic confused with something very "serious".

Let's also hope, one day we'll be able to debate the other issue as we are this one, now.

Thanks for the response.

Edited by ThomChook

The S. Court will be giving it,s decision on the 26-02-10

RE several reports of the decision already seemingly having been made....................................

Speculation is surely at fault and openly debating misleading information is not only damaging but also very dangerous, especially in the present powder keg scenario within Thailand and it,s potential to go off for the slightest excuse or reason.

Best to take a step back until it is officially announced, one way or the other.

This is what should have happened following the posting of the thread giving the impression Thaksins assets are already confiscated.

What will members debate about when the announcement is made is yet to be seen,

Surely repeatative views that have already been posted aren,t going to find there way onto a new thread.

marshbags :D:)

I,m only surprised T.Visa hasn,t been approached already re unintentional, misleading information and the debating thereof

IMHO and voiced as a concerned member of the forum.

Edited by marshbags

Agree. This is also an important issue, as I believe it shows the true colours of the man.

Let's not get this topic confused with something very "serious".

Let's also hope, one day we'll be able to debate this issue as we are this one now.

Thanks for the response.

All good mate. :)

It means they feel they are losing so much face

getting hammered in the press that they can't stand it anymore.

So they will try and argue it's prejudicial etc.

Or even counter to public safety if they get desperate.

Comes down to;

mommy and daddy are getting beaten up as crooks in the papers,

and blogs, and the childrens friends have been commenting.

boo hoo.

Edited by animatic