Tourist Visa To Us

After reading more posts, I am very interested as to whether it is a positive or a negative for me to attend the interview with my girlfriend. She would be going with me to visit my family. We've been together for three years plus. I've been in Thailand for most of that time. Some on non-immigrant and some on 30 day stamps. Never with work permit. Would the fact that I have resided in Thailand for so long without a work permit be frowned upon? I get my money from various online businesses.

Also, would it be a negative that I have extended periods (up to 8 monhts) of 30 day stamps?

If I didn't attend the interview and she stated that she would be going with me to visit my family, would the embassy find it odd that I didn't bother to come support her at the interview?

Finally, would it help tp get letters from my family and friends in the US with whom we would be staying?

Thanks for any advice!

Would be very interested to hear what other people say as I am in a similar boat myself, though with the UK Embassy. Speaking to others via this chat site, my feeling is that it wouldn't be frowned upon if you weren't at the Interview, but as said this is just a feeling.

Would be very interested to hear what other people say as I am in a similar boat myself, though with the UK Embassy. Speaking to others via this chat site, my feeling is that it wouldn't be frowned upon if you weren't at the Interview, but as said this is just a feeling.

If it wouldn't be frowned upon, then the question is, would it be beneficial or harmful for me to be there. The pro would be that I would show that she is going with me, that I live here and we will be coming back together. The con would be that I don't have a work permit so how exactly am I living here they may ask?

Anyone?

In my experience, absolutely, go.

In my case, my wife was denied the first time, granted the second, when I attended.

Remember that the official policy is to assume you won't come back to Thailand, and there is NO objective evidence you can produce otherwise, also according to them. You can imagine the minefield that presents in an interview session regarding 'evidence'. Your wife/gf is like a fish out of water here, in all likelyhood, so your presence is important to at least partly level the playing field, I believe.

In my case, my wife was denied the first time, granted the second, when I attended.

Remember that the official policy is to assume you won't come back to Thailand, and there is NO objective evidence you can produce otherwise, also according to them. You can imagine the minefield that presents in an interview session regarding 'evidence'. Your wife/gf is like a fish out of water here, in all likelyhood, so your presence is important to at least partly level the playing field, I believe.

I am leaning in that direction, but it would be great to know for sure. Any former or current immigration officers out there?

I am leaning in that direction, but it would be great to know for sure. Any former or current immigration officers out there?

I wasn't able to attend my gf's interview at the British embassy, but luckily a friend was present with her sister. If he hadn't been there she wouldn't have got the visa. He ironed out a few misunderstandings after she had been initially refused.

Luckily, my mate is a lippy Brit (aren't we all ! :o ), and so demanded to speak to a visa officer and correct their assessment of the situation. He managed to convince the visa officer (quite rightly) that they had not fully understood the documentation that I had sent in support of her application. Result: one shiny new visitor visa.

Go with your gf to the interview. It can't do any harm, and you may be of some use.

Best of luck.

djmm

It can't do any harm..

I can think of a few folks likely better off behind the scenes :o

If you're one of the people Ajarn is talking about.

Go get a haircut, shave, brush your teeth, and have a shower before going to the embassy. Wear a plain t-shirt/polo-shirt (or at least not one that's tie-dyed, or a graphic T with Beer Chang on it), long trousers and your good sandals, and try to avoid being drunk.

(You'd be amazed at some of the farang that you see in the embassy with their girlfriends who think that merely being there is "helping"...)

Definitely go. I turned the initial refusal for my Thai into an acceptance at the Aussie Embassy with a request for an interview.

If you use your imagination and approach the application and interview situation keeping in mind that th burden of proof rests with you to prove to the immigration officer that your g/f has a "compelling reason to return" to Thailand, then do all, say all and provide anything that will add weight to proving that.

Clearly, your "long stay" in Thailand with her would be a "compelling reason to return" for her if you were tied to Thailand. Your question about your "ify" status in Thailand could be a negative if viewed from your lack of "ties" or long stay legal status in Thailand.

If your g/f has a job, owns property, goes to school and has a bank account, her traditional ties may be enough to qualify on her own. On the other hand, if your traveling together, you should be with her for moral support and to answer any questions regarding her trip, if asked, if you decide not to reveal your "status" and "ties" to Thailand as a make weight argument for her "compelling reasons to return".

Definitely go.  I turned the initial refusal for my Thai into an acceptance at the Aussie Embassy with a request for an interview.

If you use your imagination and approach the application and interview situation keeping in mind that th burden of proof rests with you to prove to the immigration officer that your g/f has a "compelling reason to return" to Thailand, then do all, say all and provide anything that will add weight to proving that.

Clearly, your "long stay" in Thailand with her would be a "compelling reason to return" for her if you were tied to Thailand.  Your question about your "ify" status in Thailand could be a negative if viewed from your lack of "ties" or long stay legal status in Thailand.

If your g/f has a job, owns property, goes to school and has a bank account, her traditional ties may be enough to qualify on her own.  On the other hand, if your traveling together, you should be with her for moral support and to answer any questions regarding her trip, if asked, if you decide not to reveal your "status" and "ties" to Thailand as a make weight argument for her "compelling reasons to return".

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm still a little confused as to where you stand regarding the effect of my 'ify' status here. Yes, I will be returning. I rent a house here and there's still 6 months left on the lease. (I could show them that or I could transfer the lease to my GF's name). But I don't have a work permit.

If it were you, would you tell them that you will be returning as you have to come back to work (manage websites)? I could have my boss write a letter to verify that I manage the company's websites and have been doing so from Thailand for the last 3 years. Good idea?

I submitted 23 exhibits with the application for a 2nd Aussie visa for my Thai. The counter girl flipped through them, picked out the university documentation for my Thai, which matched the first visa category, asked one question, same farang as last time?, and that was it.

I don't regret all the unused exhibits, as they demonstrated effort, desire for visa and allowed the visa staff member to pick and choose what impressed her. You really can't guage what will impress the interviewer, so cover all the bases you can.

Yes, every document that you can provide that establishes your relationship with your Thai and your ties to Thailand will help if you decide to go that route.

Your visa stamps, which are not in and of themselves, long stay, nonetheless document a three year stay in Thailand and your future would be cemented by an employer letter. Leases with your name on them into the future would help as would any future engagements that you would be returning to. Perhaps a computer log for a day showing your work activity might impress, showing the last day worked and perhaps going back three years for a day, if possible.

An itinerary of your time in the U.S. is important, with letters of invitation from your hosts in the U.S. paid for round trip tickets, etc.

It is a sales job on the interviewer, so turn your mind onto that and do everything that will "sell" the interviewer on the fact that your Thai will be returning as scheduled. Document everything you can.

Rehearse your Thai with practice questions such as "I can't be sure your will not overstay? Answer "Why would I want to stay in the U.S. and work as a waitress in a Thai restaurant when I have it so good in Thailand, with a husband who pays all my expenses and gives me everything I want"

Answer " I must return to Thailand on blank date as I have to go to my Mom's birthday party, etc"

Confirmed doctor's apointments or other obligations upon her return add weight.

Edited by ProThaiExpat

PTE, any idea why you were called in for an interview if your wife had already gotten a visa before? In my experience, once you have had a successful trip, successive visas are no sweat and wouldn't normally require another interview.

Oops, I thnk I misead your post. You didn't have to come in for an interview, right? This all happened when you turned in the application, right?

Edited by Ajarn

Ah, Ajarn, how we are aging. Your fist "half-goof", you caught it in mid message.

My intent in that paragraph was to convey the point that a deluge of documentation is worth it since one never knows what will convince.

Yes, first visa application was refused, then interview and acceptance, with limiited documentation.

Second trip, full docs and quick slam dunk using student status to justify second visa, same as first one.

Third time, we are trying for six month tourist and get off the student visa as there is a restriction "no extentions" which we would like to opt out of if possible.