Motorbike: Buying Or Renting In Chiang Mai

SinghaLover

Good afternoon everyone,

As I have recently moved to Chiang Mai and am now looking for a means of transportation, I could not help but notice the wide variety of motorbikes on the roads. I have decided that I too would like to feel the freedom of cruising the streets of Chiang Mai on a two wheeled machine.

So basically what I am asking you is whether I should rent or buy a motorbike. I will be in Chiang Mai for roughly 5 months and definitely need a way to get around town and maybe even a little further up north (I do not plan on going on endless drives through the countryside with the bike).

As far as what I need it's not much, the most basic is fine, as long as it is somewhat reliable and gets me around town. I want to spend the least amount of money possible and I read somewhere else that a Honda Wave might be something that I could be looking for.

How much do you think I need to spend on either a rental or a bought one?

And what about insurance? Are there some rental places whose insurance also covers accidents and theft?

As a remark, I have almost never riden a motorbike so I do not need anything fast or fancy.

Any places that you can recomment for buying or renting a bike?

Any other advice you can give me for biking in Chiang Mai?

Cheers,

Singha

first thing first.

can you buy one? depends on your visa / residency status an you will need proof of where you live.

if you have all of that then i would almost certainly go for the buy one option, i have seen good bikes available for 20k - 25k and given your rental will probably be 2k - 3k / month it could be more cost effective to buy.

if renting i would stick to the well known pops or mr mechanic as they seem to be pretty fair and honest (not that i know the others are not).

see

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Leaving-Chia...al-t336946.html

Edited by alant

Good question, I am currently on a Non-Immigrant ED Visa multiple entry which is valid for one year.

I live in a standard apartment building while I am doing an internship here in Chiang Mai.

How easy do you think it would be to sell the bike again after those 5 months? And are there shops (maybe even the one I bought it from, if that is a shop) that buy used motorbikes?

Thanks a lot

Singha

I would definitely buy, you can find something for about 10-15k (with papers) use it for this amount of time and sell it very close to what you bought it for. Renting has all kinds of issues associated with it. I just picked up a Honda mio for 15k with papers, automatic and in good shape. There are some good markets to go to find one such as the San Patong market out in San Patong on Saturday from 6am to 12pm (noon). If you are looking for just something to get you around you could find many as cheap as 5000 baht that are not stolen but are behind in their tax payments. So if you were to register it, it might have 2-5k in fees that might have to be paid. I have been pulled over once in 8 years and it was for a helmet not because my bike was not up to date on its taxes. Wear a helmet and if you have the misfortune of being pulled over, be polite pay the fee (200 baht) and be on your way.

Because of the economy you will find a lot of motivated sellers. Best time to buy.

Edited by swain

On average renting a bike costs around 3k a month. Many get cheaper deals though, for a standard bike. Ive been renting a Fino at 3200 a month and the end of the month i will buy, because im just throwing my money down the drain. You need to weigh it up though. Cost of transfer and insurance etc when buying. If you rent you would be paying around 10-15k. They rental company will pay for checking the engine and general stuff like that. You can also switch bikes,brands etc, if you wish. So, I guess work out from that whats better for you.

So maybe I should rent one first for a few days and then take it from there?

Do some of the rental places also sell bikes or is it only the markets (as mentioned before) or private sellers?

And is theft a big problem in Chiang Mai? Would an insurance cover that or am I fully liable?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Oh and on another note: So would it be possible to buy a bike with the type of Visa I have?

Thanks

Edited by SinghaLover

Buy or rent the same dilema for bike, car etc. If you are here for 5 months you have to be pretty confident that you can buy and sell exactly when you need to. Rental is flexible - the main question (IMHO) is getting a bike that is properly maintained and roadworthy, has decent insurance cover and does all your services. I know it's tempting to go cheap, but road safety should be uppermost - check tyres, brakes etc. If you haven't ridden a lot before make sure you give yourself time to get familiar and confident - hospital casualty depts full of motorbike accident victims.

Personally I would say rent tbh..but its your choice. The reasons I say that is that you say you havent much experience of riding a bike, so its good to rent for a while to see if you actually want to continue riding a bike. Im not suggesting you wont be proficient, its just that you may decide that you only want to rent occasionally as songtaews are an easy way to travel around Chiang Mai. So when you arrive and say rent for a week, you will know better how you feel about driving here..but already a week has gone by. If you buy 2nd hand you may have to faff about with different things and maybe some issues with mechanical problems..etc. (Unless you are knowledgeable on that side of course). As you are only here for 5 months, you would also need to advertise selling it, which you would need to do a few weeks before you leave. You could end up selling it right away, or not at all. Its a gamble. All in all, just seems it would cut into your 5 month period of time here too much. No need to give yourself a headache over buying and selling and transferring documents etc, unless you really want to save the cash..but even then you may not sell it in time. If you want to rent for a whole 5 month period, I would look for a good monthly rental price. Save yourself hassle and enjoy the time you have here.

So maybe I should rent one first for a few days and then take it from there?

Do some of the rental places also sell bikes or is it only the markets (as mentioned before) or private sellers?

And is theft a big problem in Chiang Mai? Would an insurance cover that or am I fully liable?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Oh and on another note: So would it be possible to buy a bike with the type of Visa I have?

Thanks

Yes, you can buy on an Ed Visa.

I was actually thinking, as I have never experienced it, how bad is the rain season in Chiang Mai?

Say starting in May, it is going to rain like everyday constantly (lets not hope so) I suppose I would not need a bike anyways. So maybe I should just start out by renting for like a week, see how I like it and if I'm comfortable with it and then maybe do a month or so. Would that be a good idea or am I giving the rain too much credit?

Thanks

Personally I would say rent tbh..

I agree. Rent. Who wants the extra hassle of finding a bike, negotiating the price etc. etc. and then having to go through all that again to sell it. Buying a bike for five months seems crazy to me but I'm way over the hill so my perspective may differ slightly from the young bloods advising you to buy, who no doubt never start breakfast before they've run a marathon or shot something that moves. I like things a bit easier.

One pleasant place is SMILE rental run by the charming lady owner based in Niyom Phanich (lots of bikes outside for sale) on Rajchadamnern Road (many different spellings - all correct-).

Starting from the Thapae Gate end of this road, walk 100 metres West and you can't miss the big open showroom of Niyom Phanich. Hidden away inside at her little desk is the lady who will fix you up with a good honest deal. She speaks reasonable English. I've been renting from her for over a year. It does rain. And the rain is quite wet. So buy a cape. :)

Edited by Asmerom

The OP wrote

"As a remark, I have almost never riden a motorbike so ......."

Is everyone overlooking this little remark? I think the rent-or-buy question is minor compared to other wisdom that could be posted by some experienced CM riders. I did it. I learned to ride here in CM and I feel very lucky to still be alive and in one piece. Maybe it's because I walked and observed the chaos for months before I got on a bike.

SinghaLover, if your handle describes you accurately, song taws and walking shoes would be a better choice.

And the wet streets are a bitch, especially because many riders are not willing to miss a phone call just because they are holding the throttle in one hand and an umbrella in the other. Watch out for metal plates, the white plastic/paint lines, etc. etc. etc.

Welcome. Have fun but take care of your only body.

I was actually thinking, as I have never experienced it, how bad is the rain season in Chiang Mai?

Say starting in May, it is going to rain like everyday constantly (lets not hope so) I suppose I would not need a bike anyways. So maybe I should just start out by renting for like a week, see how I like it and if I'm comfortable with it and then maybe do a month or so. Would that be a good idea or am I giving the rain too much credit?

Thanks

I once described the rainy season here as having a warm bucket of water tipped over your head continuously! But for about 10 mins up to an hour. When it rains, it RAINS, but, usually last for around half an hour (if i recall correctly. Ive been here for 3 consecutive rainy seasons, but didnt ride a bike then. Maybe other people can comment better, because ive never thought about how long it rains for much.). What i notice is many people will pull over for a while and wait till the rain subsides. Some continue driving with big rain macs on, but personally I wouldnt risk trying to drive in those conditions. After the rain settles (which is often like a tap has been turned off..as it stops so suddenly!), people get going again. Sometimes it can rain for say half an hour, then break for half an hour, then rain again. But you can get from A to B, just not in one unbroken journey..at least i dont recommend trying it.

Oh and seeing as you will be here for April, be careful around Songkran time. I would also not recommend driving a bike at that time.

The OP wrote

Is everyone overlooking this little remark? I think the rent-or-buy question is minor compared to other wisdom that could be posted by some experienced CM riders. I did it. I learned to ride here in CM and I feel very lucky to still be alive and in one piece. Maybe it's because I walked and observed the chaos for months before I got on a bike.

SinghaLover, if your handle describes you accurately, song taws and walking shoes would be a better choice.

And the wet streets are a bitch, especially because many riders are not willing to miss a phone call just because they are holding the throttle in one hand and an umbrella in the other. Watch out for metal plates, the white plastic/paint lines, etc. etc. etc.

You are right. I briefly mentioned it, but yes, you are absolutely right that the OP should be careful. It took me nearly 3 years to finally feel confident to ride a scooter on roads here. For the first 8 months or so i just used public transport, but then i got myself a bicycle and biked around to get a feel for the roads. But i really do love riding around in a scooter, and im probably more cautious than most when it came to finally getting mobile, so im not suggesting anyone would need to take as long as me!

SinghaLover, if the roads look daunting at first till you get a hang of them, maybe rent a bicycle for a while first? You could maybe take public transport initially, and watch the roads. Have a walk around the moat and places too, watch the traffic for a bit. Then get a bicycle and a map and go off some places...then when you have a better feel of the location and traffic, try out a scooter. Ultimately what you decide is your choice, but as amexpat wisely said, have fun, but take care of your only body.

Personally I would say rent tbh..

I agree. Rent. Who wants the extra hassle of finding a bike, negotiating the price etc. etc. and then having to go through all that again to sell it. Buying a bike for five months seems crazy to me but I'm way over the hill so my perspective may differ slightly from the young bloods advising you to buy, who no doubt never start breakfast before they've run a marathon or shot something that moves. I like things a bit easier.

One pleasant place is SMILE rental run by the charming lady owner based in Niyom Phanich (lots of bikes outside for sale) on Rajchadamnern Road (many different spellings - all correct-).

Starting from the Thapae Gate end of this road, walk 100 metres West and you can't miss the big open showroom of Niyom Phanich. Hidden away inside at her little desk is the lady who will fix you up with a good honest deal. She speaks reasonable English. I've been renting from her for over a year. It does rain. And the rain is quite wet. So buy a cape. :)

How much are you renting your bike for? I was looking into it too but I dont want to hand my passport over because I will probably go to Laos randomly to see family.

How much are you renting your bike for? I was looking into it too but I dont want to hand my passport over because I will probably go to Laos randomly to see family.

2,500 baht per month ; but I've got a discount as I've been renting for a year.It started at 2,800. There are always others who say they get their's for 2000 from some hole in the wall near Thappae Gate. Also I have an automatic which I believe is more expensive than one of those horrible kick start machines. If you are new to riding, an automatic would make things a whole lot easier.It's a Yamaha Mio, and I'm always first away at the lights while all the others struggle to change gear. Your accidents will probably occur during the first six months after which you get the hang of it. But the hospitals are very handy and my fractured collar bone is almost as good as new. A course of tetanus innoculations might be an advisable precaution.I didn't hand my passport over and I never would ; a copy is sufficient.

Edited by Asmerom

I know I really have no say, but if the OP is EXTREMELY cautious he could pull it off. I know lots of people who learned here, but they dont live in near the center of town.

Inside the city moves fast though, I would stay out of the moat area and surroundings till you get the hang of it. And go slow, dont weave in and out of traffic, dont get cocky cause you think you get the hang of it, dont move to the front like others at a red light. Always look in every direction, and when changing lanes.. use arm signal as well as your lights. Pay attention to Traffic and watch the movement of Thai traffic. learn how it moves and what to do in certain situations. ALWAYS wear a helmet.

For me... I'm still debating if I want a bike or not - expenses... :D. Also I'm use to the traffic in Asia. I've lived on and off in Laos during the summers since I was a kid.

In Chiangmai, I'm pretty far out from town in the Nong Pa Khrang area. Pretty much the safest place for me to learn to ride a motorbike is on campus and the dorm area - minus the 2nd ring road? (Payap has a tunnel going under it).

If I were to ever go close to the moat, I would just take the red truck.

My only other option is to learn in Laos, which I can tell you is about 50x more dangerous then Thailand. In Laos.. If they are going to hit you.. They WILL hit to kill. They pay less money to the family that way. Go figure. :);

I learned to ride a bike here. At first my bf took us both to the large vacant car park/festival/showcase area behind Nimmenhamen (cant think of the name atm). I drove up and down and around and created obstacles to weave through etc. A couple of other people were there practicing driving in cars. It seems to be a common area for learning. Then once i felt comfortable on the bike, i went out really early mornings. I preferred that to night time to be honest, as i could see where im going better, i felt safer too, and no late drunks/drunk drivers etc. I just kept doing this for a while. Then i just got braver, took my map out and decided to get to x place. On time i landed bang in the middle of absolutely terrible traffic, but it forced me to learned how to handle that. Ive had a couple of minor mishaps in 4 months. First one was not realising that some of the drains here should be avoided at all costs if possible. One had a seriously bad dip and I had to struggle to keep the bike and myself from falling over...but i managed...much to the shock and amusement of the tuk tuk driver behind me that congratulated me on keeping my balance. Another time was running a red light in crazy traffic as i didnt see the light change when focusing on the traffic in front of me. (Absolutely my fault of course). Landed slap bang in cross over traffic. Thankfully i was taken pity on and let through. These are the two potentially serious things i can think of, where if i had been unlucky, i could have gotten badly hurt. Some people think im crazy for driving in central cm, but, i love the freedom. Sure i dont want an accident and i need to be careful, but being able to just hop on a bike and go where i want feels great. I cant imagine not being without it anymore.

Edited by eek

Late at night .... limited visibility to other drivers ... increased number of drink drivers ... limited ability to clearly see road hazards such as pot-holes etc ....

Certainly not what I would suggest someone do when learning to ride a motorcycle.

Yunnie --- yes lots of people learn here (about 100% of the Thai people that ride here, learned here). That doesn't dismiss the fact that most injuries that happen to foreigners in Thailand are the result of motorcycle accidents. Riding a bicycle is dangerous enough for a newbie to Thailand ... add a motor to it and it can be sudden death at the drop of a hat.

I learned to ride a bike here. At first my bf took us both to the large vacant car park/festival/showcase area behind Nimmenhamen (cant think of the name atm). I drove up and down and around and created obstacles to weave through etc. A couple of other people were there practicing driving in cars. It seems to be a common area for learning. Then once i felt comfortable on the bike, i went out really early mornings. I preferred that to night time to be honest, as i could see where im going better, i felt safer too, and no late drunks/drunk drivers etc. I just kept doing this for a while. Then i just got braver, took my map out and decided to get to x place. On time i landed bang in the middle of absolutely terrible traffic, but it forced me to learned how to handle that. Ive had a couple of minor mishaps in 4 months. First one was not realising that some of the drains here should be avoided at all costs if possible. One had a seriously bad dip and I had to struggle to keep the bike and myself from falling over...but i managed...much to the shock and amusement of the tuk tuk driver behind me that congratulated me on keeping my balance. Another time was running a red light in crazy traffic as i didnt see the light change when focusing on the traffic in front of me. (Absolutely my fault of course). Landed slap bang in cross over traffic. Thankfully i was taken pity on and let through. These are the two potentially serious things i can think of, where if i had been unlucky, i could have gotten badly hurt. Some people think im crazy for driving in central cm, but, i love the freedom. Sure i dont want an accident and i need to be careful, but being able to just hop on a bike and go where i want feels great. I cant imagine not being without it anymore.

Eek -- sounds like a perfect way to learn for someone that is staying in Thailand for an extended time period! Learning to ride here when you are here for a total of less than a year just is too risky imho. Long-stay folks have time to learn what traffic is like here from watching it .... Then the bicycle ... then the motorcycle.

When my bike is in the shop (rare) it drives me nuts not being able to get where I want in 10 mins or less!

In fact I am gonna go hop on it now and head to the pool!

The OP wrote

I have many years of riding experience in USA, including urban commuting and race track racing. I would like to think I am a decent rider. When I came to CM I decided to rent a big bike and it was definitely an adjustment. There is a ton of traffic that creates unusual and possibly dangerous situations. As a new rider you will not know how to react or when not to react. Since you will be here 5 months, take it very easy on roads with little traffic. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend riding at all. Really, you should get a bicycle to get around town and use sidewalks and less crowded streets. You state that you don't plan to take it much outside the city so a bicycle might be cheaper and safer option for you.

I quit driving two-wheelers after any beer at all when I retired. Prior to that, I'd ridden many bikes in many countries in differing conditions - but not in Asia.

Never fell, never bumped a fender (never competed, never did off-road). Rode bigger bikes and European scooters.

After three months in Chiang Mai, driving with my customary fear (I call it caution) - anyway, full attention, I was startled to find a big car taking over my lane all at once and without any warning while I was in it, getting ready to make a u-turn. Curb was all that was left, so I braked, skidded and fell. So I got my first scrapes and bruises (helmet). Driver of car probably didn't look, certainly drove away. So I drove a lot the next day, thinking the old saw from motorcycle school: See and Be Seen.

But it's a very quick world out there - I've seen more accidents here than everywhere else put together. Please take above advice - to build experience and take greater challenges gradually.

• 1 month later...

I'll be in CM this week and I was considering renting one. But I think I will have a look first how CM traffic is moving. Thanks to all for posting, the info and advices have been very helpful. Keep those wheels rolling...without bumping someone elses wheels! Cheers!

You can buy an older motorcycle for about 5,000bht (Suzuki 110cc 2 stroke for example)

Go to the Saturday Market just beyond San Patong (Yellow Songtaw from Chaing Mai Gate 20bht) on any Saturday before 10am (the motorcycle sales give up at mid-day and there are hundreds to choose from.

Or go to the Sunday morning market on the road to MaeJo and do the same (mostly the same sellers).

For 5 months not even worth the while registering the purchase, just give it away to any Thai when you are finished (or let your Thai gf register it and keep it).

(the compulsory tax and insurance apply to the bike rider and not the owner)

Edited by sarahsbloke