Bank Transfer Thai To Uk

I have had a private account at Siam Commercial for about 4 years. During that time i have sent a considerable amount of money from my UK account for business and personal use.

Today i wanted to send money back to the same UK account from Siam Commercial.

I am being told i can only send back to UK if I produce a purchase invoice.

This seems crazy, the amount is a fraction of what has been sent this way.

Get the feeling this is outside of their box and the staff just can not be bothered to do it.

Can you send from a Thai Account to a UK account

Thanks

It all depends on the type of visa you hold, plus other factors.

What was the purpose of the inbound funds transfers that you made, as stated on the transfer forms at the time of transfer - if you say living expenses then you are expected to have spent those funds hence they cannot no be exported.

Also, your visa type is?

OP, if you've withdrawn the wired money out of your SCB account at various times and then paid it back in, say, as cash over-the-counter directly into SCB, you may have problems wiring the money back to the UK. This is because SCB have no idea where you sourced the over-the-counter cash you paid in. For example, they've only your word for it that this is the same money you withdrew yesterday that you now want to pay back in.

However, if the wired money you want to repatriate has just sat undisturbed in your SCB account and now you want to wire it back to the UK, you SHOULD have no problem - if you are in Thailand and can go along to a main branch of SCB with your passport and passbook.

There is some more detail in this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Wiring-Money...nk-t322664.html

A few points to answer to here.

There never was any transfer forms or paperwork at this end.

I merely wrote to my UK bank and asked them to send money over.

No questions were asked by SCB.

I have never sent any money back, this is the 1st time i have tried

My visa was B but has recently changed to O as now married.

I have a good business and its making money, it would be nice to send some back to the UK, but only a fraction of what was originally sent this way.

I have been in to 2 branches, Trat and Koh Chang and really can not work out if they just don't know what they are doing.

Thanks for the link, reading now

I have a good business and its making money, it would be nice to send some back to the UK, but only a fraction of what was originally sent this way.

I have been in to 2 branches, Trat and Koh Chang and really can not work out if they just don't know what they are doing.

Thdn just show them your work permit and there will be nno problem.

my experience is a little dif

when wiring over chunk of usd from sfo, a fed reserve member bank to bkk bk in bkk, the chief officer asked what the money was for. the ans given was purchasing biz.

she verified with bkk bk in bkk and ascertained that the bkk bk was capable of receiving eight digit transfer. destination bk also wanted to know in writing the purpose of the wire.

i would bet that your thai bk scb would keep a record of that or those transactions in its vault somewhere.

perhaps you could approach the manager (and no one else) of that section and just told him/her you need a copy of the transfer from whichever home bk to bkk scb on such and such date....

you are not against paying 200-300 bath for the copy, are you?.... lol they always charge for little services like that.... lol

congrats for running a profiting biz.... there are several others losing their shirts for one reason or another....

may good luck, good fortune and good management continue.... :)

If all else fails, or, if you want to keep it real simple, buy Sterling cashiers cheques from Bangkok Bank, drawn on BB London, courier the cheques for deposit to your UK bank, clearing time is three days and maximum value per purchase without questions is USD 20K (buy multiple cheques if need be) - same rate of exchange as wire transfer.

If all else fails, or, if you want to keep it real simple, buy Sterling cashiers cheques from Bangkok Bank, drawn on BB London, courier the cheques for deposit to your UK bank, clearing time is three days and maximum value per purchase without questions is USD 20K (buy multiple cheques if need be) - same rate of exchange as wire transfer.

I've sent money back to the UK from SCB a couple of times but they make you change it into pounds here so they can get their cut. With the low exchange rate maybe this is not the time to do a transfer.

I've sent money back to the UK from SCB a couple of times but they make you change it into pounds here so they can get their cut. With the low exchange rate maybe this is not the time to do a transfer.

:)

You say you're married. Is your UK bank account a joint account with your wife? Or does she have a UK bank account in her own right?

If the answer is 'yes' to either of the above, then just let her do the transfer. There are no exchange controls in Thailand for Thais. A Thai transferring money to their own bank account overseas is no problem.

You say you're married. Is your UK bank account a joint account with your wife? Or does she have a UK bank account in her own right?

If the answer is 'yes' to either of the above, then just let her do the transfer. There are no exchange controls in Thailand for Thais. A Thai transferring money to their own bank account overseas is no problem.

Not true, there are currency exchange controls for Thai's - Thai nationals can transfer funds overseas subject to meeting a number of quite strict criteria, payment of an overseas invoice and school fees are the two most common.

But in response to an earlier question about the limit that a UK national can transfer: BOT regs state that not more than USD 20k may be transferred at any one time, without their approval, the banks act as the BOT agent in this respect. But nothing to stop someone making multiple transfers of say USD 19,999 or its equivalent.