Cambodians In Thailand, Efforts To Document Workers Without Visas.

chanwit

Last month there was a thread titled "Lao In Thailand, Do They Have A Special Deal With Visas ..."

This post is similar but about Cambodians.

Today my Thai wife got a call from her sister regarding a male relative that apparently married a Cambodian girl that came to Thailand 21 years ago when she was age 10.

The Cambodian girl has received a letter form the Thai Government to report to a district office in Din Daeng. (not sure exactly why at this moment)

From the best that I can tell it appears that the Thai Government is trying document people without Thai ID cards, passports, and Visas.

It appears that this is some kind of effort to grant visas for Cambodians from within Thailand and to document workers that were sponsored to come here to work.

My wife and I understand each other very well on the basic issues of life but when it comes to trying to explain this to me I have to guess at what is going on.

My recount is the best that I can do in this moment.

What I did understand is that the girl has been here so long that she doesn't speak Khmer (only Thai) and doesn't even know where she came from in Cambodia.

I don't know why this is important now to her but apparently the paper she received form the Thai officials is asking for this basic information and she is also afraid that the interview won't go well in Din Daeng.

So now she is trying to familiarize herself with Cambodian maps and taking a crash course in Khmer.

Has anyone else heard of similar situations so that I can better understand what maybe going on?

I'll add to this thread as the drama unfolds.

It's not so difficult to obtain the right documents in Din Daeng (ID card work permit - visa on the blue passport). The Cambodians need a Thai guarantor - employer.

Anyway, the story of the Cambodian girl who even cannot speak Khmer is very interesting, please keep us updated.