True Internet "invading" My Computer

petedk

Can anyone help me with the following?

It seems that every so often True seem to "capture" or "invade" my computer. It seems to happen quite randomly.

For example just now I wanted to open my Gmail account. I typed in the username and password and hit "enter" and was redirected to

http://welcome.truelife.com/index.php

This happens to me quite often. I've done a virus scan but found nothing.

Does this happen to others?

Oh, another thing. I have noticed that every day (and I mean every) my connection is cut for 2 or 3 minutes at either exactly 7 am or exactly 8 am. That was also irritating to start with, especially if I was downloading or updating. Now I know not to do any updating at these two times. Do they do some kind of reset or what?

For example just now I wanted to open my Gmail account. I typed in the username and password and hit "enter" and was redirected to

This will occur if you're using the True supplied ADSL modem/router. To get rid of it, you can (1) update the router firmware; or (2) buy a new router -- 1,500 baht will get you something decent. I recommend the latter.

Turn off the password manager in your browser.

Why should password manager affect this?

It can happen when I click on a link from a Google search ....... or even try to open Thaivisa. I just happened to open my email last time when it happened.

This will occur if you're using the True supplied ADSL modem/router. To get rid of it, you can (1) update the router firmware; or (2) buy a new router -- 1,500 baht will get you something decent. I recommend the latter.

Yes, I am using the router supplied by True. I have a Netgear router which I used with my previous ISP but I can't configure it to be used with True and nobody at True could (or wouldn't) help me. I guess I'll have to play around a bit more with the configuration.

Yes, I am using the router supplied by True. I have a Netgear router which I used with my previous ISP but I can't configure it to be used with True and nobody at True could (or wouldn't) help me. I guess I'll have to play around a bit more with the configuration.

From memory, which is rusty..

VPI/VCI 0 / 100

Encapsulation PPPoE LLC

username and password, done.

I had the same problem. Every time I wanted gmail I got a True Move page. It was most frustrating. I resolved it by clicking TOOLS and then CLEAR PRIVATE DATA. I don't know why this works, but it does. I continued to get the True Move page every time I tried to get gmail, then suddenly my computer seemed to get the message and I have had no trouble since.

Just a warning about what I believe is a scam in Hua Hin. I moved in to a bungalow having relocated from Bangkok. Needing the internet I called in True Move who said they would come and install the modem for me and get everything rolling. They did, but just before the engineer left, my laptop 'hung'. I could not switch it off, restart or anything. The engineer immediately rang a friend who came to fix it, which he did - for 5,000 baht! I think the engineer put a virus on my computer (deliberately?) then called his friend to fix it. Maybe they shared the 5k.

P&M

I had the same problem. Every time I wanted gmail I got a True Move page. It was most frustrating. I resolved it by clicking TOOLS and then CLEAR PRIVATE DATA. I don't know why this works, but it does. I continued to get the True Move page every time I tried to get gmail, then suddenly my computer seemed to get the message and I have had no trouble since.

I just switched on the light in the kitchen,I don't know why it works but it does.I continued to get the true move page then suddenly my computer seemed to get the message. :)

I would get that page every time I got a new connection, eg a drop out which seems to be a regular fact of life with true, then when it rebooted the next time I opened any browser it would be the true page.

Also, then the first VOIP call I would make would time out exactly 5 mins, to the second. Good on ya TRUE, any way, that history, I ditched them last week when my 6 months was up. Still got 6 months of TOT phone line to pay for, as they say I can't move it as it was part of a TRUE package. Bustards TRUE.

There was another thread about these "True Redirects". There routers are programmed to go to the True website everytime it resets or is restarted, although it seems to do it at other random times to, sometime one after another. I called them about it and they admitted that its promotion from them. They say that these routers can not be flashed with new firmware other than by the manufacturer in China and they will not help. If you don't like it you can buy a new one they told me. Another user on here says that the firmware can be flashed but it sounds quite techy.

Oh ya, I previously used True cable internet which was great. I noticed it would always shut down at the same time each day. I talked to them about it and found out that to total how much bandwidth was used (unlimited pkg) they needed the connection to be cut off at some point. So it you don't ever turn it off in a day, than they will turn it off for you every 24hrs, then you need to restart it to reconnect. This could be a bit different with their ADSL though.

Edited by blakegeee

To summarize.

1. True supplied routers have this "feature" built in. It will redirect you at least once per 24 hours.

2. True ADSL disconnects minimum once every 24 hours. This causes the IP to change. If you want a fixed IP, you have to upgrade.

3. Using the True ADSL modem/router enables True to enter and poke around your modem and potentially into the rest of your network at any time. This is a security hazard. The True backdoor enables others to exploit it. It's not difficult to do and can be done by anyone (I just found 2 users with the default password, and I could easily poke around. This of course I never do in any way shape or form.)

4. Reporting this to True is quite funny and causes them to go "uuuuh, aaah, I don't know... I have to check. Don't tell anyone else"

My connection gets cut in the same way although the regular times are 5.40, 6.40 7.40 and 8.40 pm. There are other times as well but i havent logged them yet. Its only recently started in the last month.

Have the same problem in my apartment supplied internet service as you say at certain times. This morning as early as 4:30. I hit internet connection then repair and it has at least temporarily done the trick, but speed is only 18 Mbps. Although I never get directed anywhere else.