Air Quality

gennisis

I have been in Chiang Mai Ram for the past 7 days. Major dental work. :D You can call me Gummy for the next 2 months. :D I was in room 1024 which looks towards the east. Great view of the city. There was always a haze over CM sometimes in the morning visibility was down to about 5 km by the afternoon I could see to Carrefour. The hospital released me from prison last night. :D As I was approaching Doi Saket last night about 7 PM what do I see ? A string of fires just east of Doi Saket up in the hills that were about 5 Km long. :) And as I post this there is a light haze I can see the hills east and north. Its that time of year. Not as bad as last year but......

Was out digging this morning, & it was harder work than usual.  The air feels thicker, it was a lot warmer in the early morning than the last few days, even though a clear sky last night, & no smoke for once around here.  Just been out again, & eyes itchy.  Up until now the problem has just been smoke, locally produced.  Now it feels like smog.  Horrible  :)

But I'll continue to be proactive that I hope that 4 or 5 people (locals) a year will listen to me and actually try it.

I think that is commendable, although quite optimistic.

There is a cultural dimension to this, which manifests itself in a peculiar resistance to learn from mistakes. Perhaps it is connected with the ideas of taking the easiest path and not questioning conventions, which are ingrained in Thai society. I did not observe this in any other culture, at least not as pronounced as in Thailand. Pioneers and innovators have a particularly difficult standing here.

Unless an innovation brings immediate sanuk/profit to the individual, change is very difficult to implement. Especially when it requires discipline or thinking in new ways.

Cheers, CMX

Gladiator,

Been living in Chiang Mai (near city and upcountry) for 22 years and have been attempting to teach folks to make compost piles instead of burning for years. As well as recycling.... I've been taking the rough with the smooth for some time now.

Admirable, and as you say if 4/5 take notice then some progress has been made. On a similar note we have used reusable enviro friendly bags for nearly 20 years in 4 different countries and we still get strange looks here we say to cashiers mai ow tung -instead of having a plastic bag for each item :D - have seen a couple of others using them in the last few years-progress? :)

Even the burmese apparently think that something's wrong now:

http://www.mizzima.com/news/regional/3553-...ke-problem.html

The good news is that Thai authorities are starting to recognize the cause for the pollution: Burning of forests and fields. The locals still do it like there's no tomorrow but the scale of the problem is big enough for it to get solved eventually, I think. It might just take a few years. Can you imagine the insane increase in respiratory diseases? Thats expensive. The bad press - also expensive, loss of tourist income, expensive...

Here in Pai the mountains surrounding the valley have been on fire for weeks now. It's dry early this year so the locals are using the opportunity.

Here's the hill next to our house 2 nights ago:

67223822-a6f5234bc893d623ec7f8fcf15f79e8a.4b7ddd5e-scaled.jpg

I am thinking about building a house in Bangkok to escape the bad air during these months. Sounds ironic but it's not.

Edited by nikster