Importing A Digital Piano

thailoneus

I have spent hours looking for decent dealers for Digital Pianos in Thailand...Roland/Kurzweil/Yamaha. While they are extremely limited, the models they carry are hopelessly limited to one or two.

I am thinking of flying to Singapore to get one.

Has anyone done this? What is involved in bringing a piano into the country?

All info is most appreciated.

Could always buy a USB controller keyboard and run one of the numerous sound suites like Reason or Cubase; the latter of which would also allow you to integrate a topnotch VST plugin digital piano. Latencies are being brought down all the time, to boot, although of course you'd need a half-decent computer to run it. Not the same, I know, but then neither is a digital piano. Either that, go for one of the those standard ones, or perhaps have one key posted over at a time to avoid being shafted.

I was impressed with Yamaha's variety and models at Central Plaza in Khon Kaen. Noticed their prices were nearly identical to models available in the USA.

I've likewise been looking and would go to extremes to get one here before entrusting my economic future to Thai customs which can charge at their whim for your import. You have no guarantees taking the import route, and can easily be slapped with 100% or more in duties. Makes me shudder.

No problem bringing one back from Singapore. Thai customs allows visitors to bring one musical instrument into the country with them. If you're a full-time resident, you only get a one-time exemption but no one seems to be keeping track.

Thanks to all for the posts so far.

SpoliaOpima,

I am on a Non O-A visa. Been in LOS for 7 months now. Can you expand a bit on your post? What happens at Customs if I arrived with a piano from S'pore?

As one poster said, I would like to avoid a 100% duty on it. Is this left to the whims of the Customs officers?

Go to Yamaha music school 12 floor Central Bangna ... They have lots of instruments but most are acoustic pianos...

But I bought a Medeli in another shop at Central Bangna. It is low budget but you get a decent feeling keyboard for the money. The sound is less impressive but ok for home use. For 28 000 you shouldn't be picky...

Martin

This is not anyone's problem. But I live in Phuket. Just thought I should let you know, so you give me a bit more info on any potential addresses in BKK or elsewhere.

Someone bought a digital piano at Robinson's?? Where??

I am also willing to spend a bit extra on this toy.

I am surprised I haven't heard from any Roland lovers. Years ago I had one of Roland's first models. That was about 30 years ago. Gave it to a friend in Oz. It still works!! So while I read all these fab reviews about e.g. Kurzweil, in my heart I think am looking for a Roland. Phaeng!! Yes I know.

I bought it at Robinsons in Sri Racha, a Yahama Arius, they had 3 different models of Yamaha.

It's on the Yamaha website, yamaha.co.th if I remember right.

You would probably be better off ordering the model you want from them if they don't stock it rather than trusting to luck with customs and the airport baggage chuckers.

Or try the local stockists of Roland or Kurzweil to import for you if they don't have what you want.

No problem bringing one back from Singapore. Thai customs allows visitors to bring one musical instrument into the country with them. If you're a full-time resident, you only get a one-time exemption but no one seems to be keeping track.

Thanks to all for the posts so far.

SpoliaOpima,

I am on a Non O-A visa. Been in LOS for 7 months now. Can you expand a bit on your post? What happens at Customs if I arrived with a piano from S'pore?

As one poster said, I would like to avoid a 100% duty on it. Is this left to the whims of the Customs officers?

I doubt you will have a problem, unless they have you logged for having brought in a similar instrument before. That's highly unlikely, ie, you would remember it if they had. So you should be fine. If they give you stick, just politely mention that you know you're allowed to bring in one musical instrument duty-free.

Best to unbox it and put it in a gig bag. Remove all price tags and manuals (ok to pack separately).

Try the official Roland agent, listed at www.roland.com

Theera Music Co. , Ltd.

100-108 Soi Verng Nakornkasem, New Road, Sumpantawongse, Bangkok 10100 THAILAND

TEL: (02) 224-8821

I got a good deal on an FP7 which they had in stock and was delivered the same day.

• 2 months later...

Hi

there is a Yamaha shop on the Hang Dong road

set back on the LH side heading out from town

just after the large square purple (TMB?) Bank

Before Tesco Lotus, might be worth a look...

David

Oops, sorry, thought I was in the CNX forum!

Edited by DavidOxon

Firstly I'm not particularly interested in a Yamaha...they're OK but there are other makes......and the range stocked in Thailand again seems small and out of date.

secondly there appears to be some pretty rigid price-fixing going on in THailand - as with ALL their electrical products etc etc.

THe last Time I was in Singapore the equivalent Yamaha worked out 25% cheaper - and that was beforeI started haggling or claimed vat back.

88 keys - pressure sensitive

Midi/USB interface with my Mac

Korg Roland Yamaha even- whatever - I really haven't found enough to look at and compare in Thailand - only the range carried by Powerbuy - and therefore everyone else.

I'd like a genuine discount too!

Edited by Deeral

Korg Roland Yamaha even- whatever - I really haven't found enough to look at and compare in Thailand - only the range carried by Powerbuy - and therefore everyone else.

Try Kad Suan Kieow in Chiang Mai, on about the 4th floor they have quite an amazing range of Yamaha Digital pianos - I only found this shop on Thursday, and really don't know what it is called, but if you go take a look you will find it eventually. it is a large department store selling virtually everything (Central Maybe?) they have Yamahas up to 100K Baht - take a look, I have never seen the same in chiang Mai!

Has it got "Hammer" keys? - and will it play a good piano sound on it's own?

You mean has it 'weighted' keys - Yes

Its a midi / USB keyboard / controller so it has no internal sound - hence you need to buy a plug in for your MAC OR an external piece of hardware

But it will be the cheapest way of getting a keyboard that feels really good to play and having amazing piano sounds

Otherwise your looking at around 80K THB and up for something that sounds like a piano and not a strangled Chinese impression of one

Try Kad Suan Kieow in Chiang Mai, on about the 4th floor they have quite an amazing range of Yamaha Digital pianos - I only found this shop on Thursday, and really don't know what it is called, but if you go take a look you will find it eventually. it is a large department store selling virtually everything (Central Maybe?) they have Yamahas up to 100K Baht - take a look, I have never seen the same in chiang Mai!

Some of the Yamahas I saw in this place could play the notes very quietly, without an amp - i.e the thing is off but it still sounded like a real (but quiet piano) They even had this cutaway of the way he notes were struck...take a look, I was impressed by the quality!