Ordering Parts From Us

sleepyjohn

Hi I posted on the Apple forum but would like more feedback generally so am reposting here.

I need a MacBook 13in display replacement.

In the unlikely event anyone has one or knows where to buy in Thailand at non-Apple prices please do get in touch.

More likely I shall have to order from America. One company will send Fedex, so $55 + $38 = $93 maybe a little tax.

My question.

Do these orders get through? How should I get it labelled?

I'm in CM. Is it reliable it won't get locked up in customs I'm certainly not going to BKK to get one out.

thanks v much

John

FedEx always delivers it. Very reliable. Very expensive.

You have no choice on the labelling. The shipper will label it however the carrier demands them to. It used to be OK a decade ago to ship things with descriptions like "computer parts". Not anymore. The description will necessarily be very specific. It will need to say something like '13" LCD screen for MacBook part #.....'.

Plan on a bill from FedEx on this end anywhere between 1200 - 1700 baht depending on how much they decide they want to get for "clearance processing". The taxes themselves will probably only be about 400 baht. Still, if money is no object, FedEx is the way to go.

If you can get the supplier to ship by USPS Express Mail instead of FedEx, you can save a bunch at the expense of having to go to the Thai post office and pay the customs bill yourself if they ask for it. At only $55 though, there is a good chance the post office will just deliver the item without any charges. My experience is that about $100 USD valuation seems to be their cutoff. No guarantees on this of course, but it is a good bet.

If you do need to pay duties when shipping by post, you'll receive a (usually) green card in your mailbox telling you exactly where to go and pay for your area. Just bring your passport, pay the money (no bribes necessary) and pick up your item.

staying on the subject of shipping, very true FEDEX, UPS are very expensive compared to the USPS EMS services. I would go

with the UPS EMS service.

- mis-labelling can cost you a ton of penalties with the Thai customs therefore I suggest detailing to the dot.

I had an incident where my previous US corporate company mailed my retirement plaque to me (Thailand) and

decided to insert some photo's (Picutres) from the retirement party; UPS contacted me that the sender had mislabeled

the content and therefore I was subject to a penalty of 10x in order to receive the plaque. My final word to UPS was

to return the shipment back to US, I didn't want to get involved with their customs regulation)

Thanks to both of you for brilliant answers!

I think I'd go with Fedex for the extra few bucks as that's all that's on offer.

The company are offering two alternative screens.

http://www.lcdscreen.com/ppc-series-...6XUUYg#screen2

Hey why don't I show you the email i just sent as I'd love input...

Hi there from Chiangmai Thailand, I believe you send abroad and I hope u can help me...

I need a replacement glossy Macbook screen. I see you have two screens listed

Macbook MB881LL/A Apple 13.3 inch WXGA 1 CCFL Notebook Display for $59.00

and the

MacBook Apple 13.3 inch WXGA 1 CCFL Notebook Display for $59.00

I have tried to look up my screen details in "about this mac" but they don't seem to include a serial number.

However I can offer my 2006 Macbook's general details including the serial number:

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook1,1

Processor Name: Intel Core Duo

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 2 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MB11.0061.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.4f12

Serial Number (system): 4H6233XMVMM

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016CBCB5878

I'd be very grateful if you could advise which one suits, and if you're not quite sure do let me know I'll see if I can find out more myself.

I add this since I learned more. I've discovered that the MB Macbooks started in 2007 which presumably precludes mine. The question is is your alternative a glossy match? ......and what make is it I've been warned off Samsung?

thanx v much in advance

ps also found this......I sort of stepped half on my macbook towards the side and thats exactly where the black/white marks are (with extended lines over the rest of the bottom 2/3 of the screen, top OK) so was assuming it's just a busted screen but better to be aware of the possibilities:

Advice on purchasing replacement displays for notebooks:

Diagnosis / Recommendations

Do I need a new display? Perhaps. Is it:

Cracked? A cracked display cannot be repaired and requires the purchase of a new display.

Dim / Black? A dim display is either the result of 1) a faulty inverter which is a separate piece from the display or 2) a burned out backlight which is part of the display. In the majority of instances, the inverter is the cause of the problem and not the backlight as most people tend to assume and therefore does not require the purchase of a display.

Lines? A display with lines may be caused by either 1) the video card or 2) the display. In the majority of instances, the display is the cause for lines and therefore requires the purchase of a display.

Edited by sleepyjohn

- mis-labelling can cost you a ton of penalties with the Thai customs therefore I suggest detailing to the dot.

I had an incident where my previous US corporate company mailed my retirement plaque to me (Thailand) and

decided to insert some photo's (Picutres) from the retirement party; UPS contacted me that the sender had mislabeled

the content and therefore I was subject to a penalty of 10x in order to receive the plaque. My final word to UPS was

to return the shipment back to US, I didn't want to get involved with their customs regulation)

Well that's just customs trying to rip you off. Since they talk to you through an intermediary (UPS), they figure you might just pay up instead of going through the hassle of sorting it out. Tea money, that's all.

I had a run-in with FedEx I was convinced they wanted to rip me off. However, as it turned out they had just followed customs to the book, and yes there was a 30% import tax + 7.5% VAT on baby strollers shipped from the USA. Hard to believe, but true, a kind TV member even found the item in the official customs database for me at the time. There is a specific item in the customs code on baby strollers...