Thailand To Extradite Briton To Dubai In Fraud Case

george

he didn't say he didn't do it but that UAE has no evidence supplied.

I think when there is no treaty then just don't do it, a kind of logic. there must be a reason of why there's no treaty. And to hold him until eventually one will be made is not right. They should send him to the UK, as a unwanted person here, as the UK did forbid Thaksin to enter as an unwanted person, and let them deal with this issue. I'm confident that the UK will do the right thing.

Don't dream that they will trade for Thaksin, there is to much of a Caliphate's policy involved and they wouldn't give up that high card up their sleeves.

And also, is there any evidence except an allegation? I suspect something else to be involved.

I just doubt that the justice system over there is just. The raped woman sentenced comes to mind as an example.

If Thailand bows to the laws of UAE then it will be just closer to Sharia than ever before.

I personally think it's not the final yet and that there's still a chance to just expel him from the country and to work with a civilized justice system, like in the UK.

Why do all the people bringing "ice" into Thailand have their flights originating from Dubai?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE

Thailand to extradite Briton to UAE in fraud case

BANGKOK: -- (AFP) - A Thai court agreed Thursday to extradite a Briton to Dubai on charges of embezzling 150 million dollars, in a case that has possible implications for fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Michael Bryan Smith, 43, was arrested in Bangkok's red light district in May after eight months on the run from charges that he siphoned off the cash from a United Arab Emirates property company.

"The court has decided to extradite him to the UAE," a judge at Bangkok criminal court said.

"Even though Thailand and the UAE do not have an extradition treaty, the UAE has expressed the willingness to do favours if Thailand asks in future."

Smith allegedly siphoned off other workers' salaries into his own bank account while working as a personnel manager at a Dubai property company, Thai police said in May, citing the warrant from the UAE.

Police said Smith, who is married to a Thai woman, had travelled extensively through Vietnam, Hong Kong, the Philippines and Thailand after fleeing Dubai in 2008.

The judge said that Smith had 30 days in which to appeal the decision. Thai authorities then had a further 60 days in which to extradite him, after which he must be freed.

Smith's lawyer, Prachaya Vijitpokin, said he would challenge the ruling.

"I will definitely lodge an appeal within 30 days but will not be seeking bail, as bail in extradition cases is never approved," he told reporters.

The decision to proceed despite the lack of a treaty, plus the mention of "favours", has political overtones as Bangkok has long been pushing the UAE over the fate of Thaksin, who spends much of his time in Dubai.

The Thai and UAE governments are currently negotiating an extradition treaty and have discussed a draft agreement on the matter after talks in Dubai in January.

The lack of a treaty has so far hindered Thailand's efforts to bring home telecoms tycoon Thaksin, who was toppled in a 2006 coup and was sentenced in absentia to two years in jail for corruption in 2008.

Thailand's Supreme Court is due to rule on February 26 on the fate of 2.2 billion dollars' worth of Thaksin's seized assets, a verdict that could spark protests by the pro-Thaksin "Red Shirt" movement.

Thaksin said in a Twitter posting last week that he would be in Dubai for the ruling next week after making a five-day visit to Africa.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-02-18

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

He was just stealing like everyone else was. When they had the financial crisis there not long ago, they were leaving their cars at the airport fleeing the country (city?). Very funny, but his guy must have pissed someone off. Why aren't they found and arrested more? Maybe something to do with money.

So it appears that extraditions with UAE only work in one direction. It seems that there is a convicted felon who spends much of his time in Dubai that is wanted in Thailand. :)

I guess when you steal a billion you are exempt.

did anyone just feel a certain wanted Thai politicians a*se twitch?

Seems they even shared similar offenses

Smith allegedly siphoned off other workers' salaries into his own bank account while working as a personnel manager at a Dubai property company

Smith Thaksin allegedly siphoned off other workers' taxpayers' salaries money into his own bank account while working as a personnel manager CEO at a Dubai property company Southeast Asian country.

Edited by kimmeer

So it appears that extraditions with UAE only work in one direction. It seems that there is a convicted felon who spends much of his time in Dubai that is wanted in Thailand. :)

Yes. The words "extradition" - "Thailand" - "Dubai" and "favours" all in the same sentence = points to

Mr. Thaksin. :D

I think when there is no treaty then just don't do it, a kind of logic. there must be a reason of why there's no treaty. And to hold him until eventually one will be made is not right. They should send him to the UK, as a unwanted person here, as the UK did forbid Thaksin to enter as an unwanted person, and let them deal with this issue. I'm confident that the UK will do the right thing.

Don't dream that they will trade for Thaksin, there is to much of a Caliphate's policy involved and they wouldn't give up that high card up their sleeves.

And also, is there any evidence except an allegation? I suspect something else to be involved.

I just doubt that the justice system over there is just. The raped woman sentenced comes to mind as an example.

If Thailand bows to the laws of UAE then it will be just closer to Sharia than ever before.

I personally think it's not the final yet and that there's still a chance to just expel him from the country and to work with a civilized justice system, like in the UK.

Why do all the people bringing "ice" into Thailand have their flights originating from Dubai?

Good question, but when one thinks a bit deeper the answer is also there.

Why do they host a Hamas leader, considered internationally as a terrorist organisation?

Tip of the iceberg

How are all the illegal Muslim migration financed? ... oh Gawd, I could go on ...

Edited by elcent

If he could stitch them for 140 maybe he could have taken a couple only without them noticing, still would have lived the good life.

hile I do not know the guy, or the details of the case, something just doesn't ring true here. Unless the company concerned lacked even the most basic financial controls (a possibility I know - it is an Arab company), cash movements cannot take place (even salaries) without a series of checks and counter-signatures. And how did the money exit? In cash? Unlikely. That means that it would have to be paid into bank accounts in the names of the "workers" - and opening a bank account in the UAE requires documentation including passport, residence visa and work permit etc. Although the money certainly went walkabout, I am wondering whether it is just possible that he is being set up as the fall guy for someone rather more senior (and professional).

He seems to have enough money to travel extensively and to spend a lot of time in the Red light district in Bangkok. From my information. "they're only doing calls for cash....Money for nothing and your chicks (not) for free." Dire Straits

If he had really stolen (if he is a thief at all that is) as much as $150mn then what would he be doing hanging around Nana? $150k maybe but if I had made off with real money like that I would be a lot further away, and would have spent some of the cash on a nice Honduras passport and a serious bit of plastic surgery.

My thoughts exactly!!! 150,000,000 US$ can buy you anything you want... 1st thing would be a new passport!

JMO

The company he worked for is / was heavily involved in lots of major construction projects in Dubai and has probably suffered hugely as part of the crash, my gut feeling is that they have found out someone has beeen filtering money out of the company for years but he'll be a well connected local and this guy is an ideal scapegoat to hang the blame on.

JMO

The company he worked for is / was heavily involved in lots of major construction projects in Dubai and has probably suffered hugely as part of the crash, my gut feeling is that they have found out someone has beeen filtering money out of the company for years but he'll be a well connected local and this guy is an ideal scapegoat to hang the blame on.

If he's guilty who cares? Do the crime do the time. And Dubai jails you under the old 'debtors prison' system. Fail to pay a credit card and you go to jail. Any claim of USD150M is not peanuts - so why is this guy a scape goat or an example? :)

I hope he enjoys his chicken and rice in Dubai clink.

When awaiting trial it's 12 to a cell and food for only 11 delivered.

Survival of the fittest.

No i have not been in Dubai clink but i know some one who has.

Far more comfortable than a Thai prison! :)

I'm not so sure about that. Dubai prison cells do not have aircon. And the last time I was in Dubai, the temperature reached 51°!

A video footage of the Hamas leader case. Most in German language only, but nevertheless interesting. http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/0,1518,678537,00.html

Sorry, I know off topic, but when I looked at the clip I found something rather strange in seconds 23 - 27, where the hotel lady turned around to the alleged observers like saying here, here, follow me ... or did she smell something out of the usual? hmm ...

If he could stitch them for 140 maybe he could have taken a couple only without them noticing, still would have lived the good life.

hile I do not know the guy, or the details of the case, something just doesn't ring true here. Unless the company concerned lacked even the most basic financial controls (a possibility I know - it is an Arab company), cash movements cannot take place (even salaries) without a series of checks and counter-signatures. And how did the money exit? In cash? Unlikely. That means that it would have to be paid into bank accounts in the names of the "workers" - and opening a bank account in the UAE requires documentation including passport, residence visa and work permit etc. Although the money certainly went walkabout, I am wondering whether it is just possible that he is being set up as the fall guy for someone rather more senior (and professional).

Dont thinks so, who is going to nana for a beer with 960.000 in cash with him? :)

low level expatriate workers don't have bank accounts; neither in the Emirates nor in Saudi Arabia. their wages are always paid in cash :)

JMO

If he's guilty who cares? Do the crime do the time. And Dubai jails you under the old 'debtors prison' system. Fail to pay a credit card and you go to jail. Any claim of USD150M is not peanuts - so why is this guy a scape goat or an example? :D

will there soon be some talk about billions :) it's USD 600k!

Good question, but when one thinks a bit deeper the answer is also there. Why do they host a Hamas leader, considered internationally as a terrorist organisation? Tip of the iceberg How are all the illegal Muslim migration financed? ... oh Gawd, I could go on ...

one country's terrorist is another country's freedom fighter!

JMO

Big construction project Dubai/UAE...sounds like the Bin Laden Family....and they are in bed with "everyone" with cash...except maybe Israel...don't look good for the Pome...

Yes there is certainly something that stinks about this.

Here we also have another topic concerning

Viktor Bout, the so-called "Merchant of Death",

held in prison and fighting extradition to the US for 3 years,

(And Thailand/USA do have good relations)

Then you have this bloke Michael Bryan Smith,

and they want to send him off.

(to the UAE, where Thailand does not have a good relationship...

OR extradition treaties in place).

And yes I noted the amount Smith supposedly stole "doubled".

And yes I note that it would be next to impossible,

for him to steal even the original amount.

And yes I note, other posters comments that...

- Nana would be the last place...If one had that much

- a new passport (name change) is in order

- he would have plenty of funds to get out of trouble here

OK, my personal observation is this...

I do not want Viktor Bout being cared for in a US prison.

Give him a bullet to the base of the skull instead.

Better is for the US to tell Russia how they will transport him,

the how, when, where. Let the KGB take care of him.

Russia does not want what this man may say to become public.

No need for the US taxpayer to support this frackker.

For Michael Bryan Smith, I do not think he did it.

But rather than him returning to the UAE I suggest,

give him a rope, or belt, or electric extension cord,

and let him make his own decision.

He certainly knows he is dead if he returns there.

They will beat him without mercy for weeks until he confesses,

then what, under their law? I don't know.

And for you Brits, take heed.

Using this, you see how your gov can/will help.

Court extradites British businessman to face fraud charges in Dubai

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court Thursday ordered an extradition of a British businessman to face charges of cheating a Dubai-based firm out of US$150 million.

The court approved the public prosecutor's request to extradite Brayan or Smith Michael Bryan Smith, 43, to the United Arab Emirates.

Smith is wanted on an arrest warrant issued by the UAE Office of the Attorney General on August 25 2008 for having allegedly cheated the Limitless Co out of US$150 million while working as the human resource manager for the firm.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-18

If the "Limitless Co" can lose 150 million dollars without noticing it, then they are certainly aptly named!

For Bryan Smith

I think he knew that he was involved in something illegal, but also he didn't know what it looks like when the dots are connected. Pure greed for a few lousy Dollars payed by a paymaster in cash from someone in Soi 3?

I'm almopst certain that he didn't see the cash missing at all, but probably initiated transfers to influencial Muslim groups with connection in LOS, until the crises started to bite.

I don't know how it is now, but years ago I saw it in covered shops, like those where they sold those kind of roots that can be burned as insence. The drawers were stacked with cash, I mean really a lot, full of currencies, not even hiding it. People walked in and out picked up money without anything in return and so forth.

Grace hotel had/has guests celebrating whenever a terrorist attack succeeded, room maids, understanding the languages spoken there told friends.

For the Hamas leader

The biggest question still remains. Why can terrorist leaders walk in and out in Dubai freely?

Watching the full video clip leaves even more questions open than answered. Conclusions are drawn without substance.

Can we also get videos of Bryan Smith in action? Pleeeeease ... my dear lil cops in Dubai ... and tell us you're not involved in Jihad. Since the money is probably home with your dear brothers you don't need to cry and frame.

Court extradites British businessman to face fraud charges in Dubai

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court Thursday ordered an extradition of a British businessman to face charges of cheating a Dubai-based firm out of US$150 million.

The court approved the public prosecutor's request to extradite Brayan or Smith Michael Bryan Smith, 43, to the United Arab Emirates.

Smith is wanted on an arrest warrant issued by the UAE Office of the Attorney General on August 25 2008 for having allegedly cheated the Limitless Co out of US$150 million while working as the human resource manager for the firm.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-18

Whoa, caught in the red light district and yet he had a wife too. nows he might have some extra charges against him!