Pc To Hdmi

bkkmick

The TV in my office has a HDMI connection.

Two questions:

1. Do I need additional hardware to allow me to connect to the HDMI TV interface or can a Red/Yellow/White to HDMI cable (if it exists) do the trick?

2. If I'm playing a movie on my PC how do I 'tell' the PC to send the picture to the HDMI cable rather than just play on the monitor?

Thanks

Mick

You can't do it with just a cable converter as VGA is analog and HDMI is digital. You need a converter box. Here's a howto > Convert VGA to HDMI. Alternative is to get a video card that has HDMI outputs (assuming you are not talking about a notebook). Believe several cards support it.

An example of an external converter > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29769

if you have DVI on your graphics card you can use DVI-HDMI cable no need for convertor.

Much cheaper solution indeed and one I managed to forget. And if it is a dual monitor card then can watch movies on the TV and still work at the computer using the monitor.

Thanks for those...time to go to the IT center in Seacon and have a look around.

are you trying to connect a laptop or a desktop computer to your tv. my laptop has a s-video connection which works O.K. and used the headphone jack and rca cable for sound .

Sorry, I didn't really explain my situation properly.

My desktop has two monitors connected to it and I need both to work on. There's a TV beside the desktop and I was wondering if it would be possible to play a downloaded movie from my PC to the TV while still using my 2 monitors for work?

My desktop has two monitors connected to it and I need both to work on. There's a TV beside the desktop and I was wondering if it would be possible to play a downloaded movie from my PC to the TV while still using my 2 monitors for work?

A 2nd video card with DVI or DVI & HDMI out will do it. This will allow triple output. This is assuming you are running a version of Windows OS.

Interesting idea Tywais. So I'd effectively set up my PC to have 3 monitors rather than two? Sounds like an easy solution. I'll look into that one.

Just a quick note. If you you use the DVI connection you will still need the sound cable to your TV. Also you can getDVI to HDMI cables same deal though need separate sound. This also applies if you use an S video connector.

Edited by newcomer01