Big Blocks

tb86

I was recently watching a tv show about thailand, in the show they mentioned that the fan tail boats on the river ect were running 440 big blocks, anyone know if this is true? if so has anyone attempted a big block transplant? if not any ideas on why? could be a fun pickup project.... :):D:D:D

How very interesting ... if true , but i think fuel cost would be to high for thai´s to use such engine , they do just fine with re-painted diesel engine´s me thinx! 555 :)

No big blocks, but same larger boats have Nissan diesel V8 or even Nissan V10 engines, but not american big blocks. I thing they are similar engines like in the bus.

even Nissan V10 engines

Interesting, ive never heard of a v10 nissan engine, is it petrol or diesel ??

diesel, one of the most comon big bus engines in LOS

sweet, Ive never really taken too much notice, would be a decent lump for a long tail !!!

even Nissan V10 engines

Interesting, ive never heard of a v10 nissan engine, is it petrol or diesel ??

diesel, one of the most comon big bus engines in LOS

sweet, Ive never really taken too much notice, would be a decent lump for a long tail !!!

Never saw American engines in their longboats, only Nissan Diesels, as i mentioned V8 and V10. But last time i was siting in a longboat, it was about 13 years ago. Today i don't know.

The low riding tugs, which are a similar size to the longtails, that move the large barges up and down the river have some serious hardware in the engine department.

I do recall seeing one that sounded more like a gasoline engine than a diesel, however, most sound like small locomotive diesel engines.

The low riding tugs, which are a similar size to the longtails, that move the large barges up and down the river have some serious hardware in the engine department.

I do recall seeing one that sounded more like a gasoline engine than a diesel, however, most sound like small locomotive diesel engines.

been on board only one, and it had a Nissan V10. I think displacement must be like 12-14 litres, and weight probably 1500-2500kg. Moving those barges is all about displacement, tourque and large, slow propeller.

Couldnt believe it was a Nissan, sounds and looks like a Benz/MTU, except for the color. later on I v noticed this is very comon as big bus engine, if its not Hino, Volvo, Scania or Benz.

I guess on most longtails, 4litre 4 pot Hinos and Izu is overkill enough at 400-600 kg.

No big blocks, but same larger boats have Nissan diesel V8 or even Nissan V10 engines, but not american big blocks. I thing they are similar engines like in the bus.

Not sure what this is but it is V8 not a long tail tho'. I would think too heavy to wrestle if a long tail.

DSCF0963.jpg