Indian Restaurant Owner Arrested Following Non-payment Of Staff Salaries

Rimmer

On Wednesday Night, Police Lieutenant Colonel Sukatat, Deputy Chief of the Chonburi Provincial Transnational Crime Suppression Center based at Pattaya Police Station arrested the owner of the Vegetarian Paradise Indian Restaurant located on the 3rd floor of View Talay 6. A complaint from two members of staff, who are themselves of Indian nationality, was received by the Police unit which led to the arrest of Mr. Goyang Taran aged 44 who is accused of not paying his staff salaries for the last 3 months. Mr. Taran neither confirmed nor denied the allegations and the case will be processed, however it was noted that the two complainants could not produce a valid work permit in relation to their employment.

www.pattayaone.net

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

2010-02-18

post-22250-1266486993_thumb.jpg

post-22250-1266487067_thumb.jpg

post-22250-1266487102_thumb.jpg

post-22250-1266487117_thumb.jpg

I can never remember which VT is which. Is this the VT next to Central Mall? I have seen a sign advertising an Indian restaurant in the complex and always wondered how they stayed open. I think that it must be very difficult to get customers there.

I walk past this restaurant every day and everyone who walks past it as well always wonders how they stay open because you so rarely see even 1 customer in the place. The prices and decor are fine but very few customers. It is indeed located next to central festival beach. I know both waiters mentioned in the story and my condolences to both of them. Interesting that they could approach the police without work permits.

I did walk in there once to look at the menu. It looked very nice. No customers. I decided to pass on it at the time. Looks like they probably won't make it. I think a place like that could have done very well with a good quality vegetarian buffet for about 200 baht.

I can never remember which VT is which. Is this the VT next to Central Mall? I have seen a sign advertising an Indian restaurant in the complex and always wondered how they stayed open. I think that it must be very difficult to get customers there.

I walk past this restaurant every day and everyone who walks past it as well always wonders how they stay open because you so rarely see even 1 customer in the place. The prices and decor are fine but very few customers. It is indeed located next to central festival beach. I know both waiters mentioned in the story and my condolences to both of them. Interesting that they could approach the police without work permits.

Interesting that they could approach the police without work permits.

Yes - it goes to show how desperate they must have been. It is also a good warning for anyone else in the city pulling similar stunts, "safe" in the knowledge that their work permit-less employees/slaves won't grass them up.

Good that the police are looking into the theft of the workers wages.

I used to work on building sites and a couple of times an employer tried to not pay me for a couple of days work (work passed by a site agent) ... my only options were the small claims court which would have taken forever and even if you win its only a civil case and they can get away with not paying or option B which was going around to beat them up if i didnt get my money ... i went for the latter option as it was the only way id have got the money ... now if the police would have got involved it'd have saved an honest person wishing only for his days pay a lot of hassle and a potential prison sentence.

Fair play to Pattaya plods on this one.

All the Indian and some falang customers in that area go to Darbar South Indian Restaurant on the Pattaya Sai 2 side of Central Mall. Much better option IMO, though they really need to do something about their loo.

All the Indian and some falang customers in that area go to Darbar South Indian Restaurant on the Pattaya Sai 2 side of Central Mall. Much better option IMO, though they really need to do something about their loo.

I agree the Darbar is good. That's why I thought the busted place should have gone with something different, like a buffet, to entice people to make the trek into View Talay. Its a very nice setting, but they didn't do enough to draw people in.

Gossip Update:

The restaurant is closed and padlocked which probably means there are some with keys to the main lock that they do not wish to gain entry. The owner also has a real estate office down the hall from his restaurant but there are brand new adverts plastered all over the window so you cannot see (him) inside.