New Fitness Machine

Hey there, I’m hoping someone could help me out.

I just bought myself a fitness machine from Big C, it’s a Grandfit GD807D, there’s a small pamphlet that shows you the 16 exercises (very small diagrams) but basically, there’s 6 main things to the machine.

1 Treadmill

2 Rowing Machine

3 Cycling (can be used with hands or feet)

4 That round waist twisting thing (hope you know what I’m on about)

5 It’s also got what they call a beauty massager, you put the straps around you and let the machine stir your bits around…

6 It’s got the things there to hook your feet under, to do situps.

I really am at a loss as to where to start, could one of you guys/gals put me on the right track with a sort of fitness regime. Kind of like if I use the running machine - How long should I run for and at what sort of speed(fast walk, gentle jog, etc.)

OK, so a bit about me, I’m 31 years old, female and have been in Thailand 5 and a half years. In that length of time, have failed to do anything more strenuous than running for a bus.

I gave up smoking 25 days ago and worked it out that I usually spend 930 baht a month on cigarettes. Well, the payments for my new toy is only 850 baht a month, so i’m still ahead… :D

Oh yeah, just one more thing, that massager, what does it help to achieve (is it just to feel good or does it actually do anything) Apparently you can do your bum/thighs/neck and stomach with it. How long should i use it for?

Thanks in advance :o

RedHotChilli

Hi,

My girlfriend bought a Treadmill 2 months ago, I hope for you that you will be more persevering than her :o

For few basic info, you can have a look here.

There is a kind of workout schedule that you can adapt to the fitness machine you bought, and few things about how to control your heart rate.

Dunno about the massage part...

Hey there, I’m hoping someone could help me out.

I just bought myself a fitness machine from Big C, it’s a Grandfit GD807D, there’s a small pamphlet that shows you the 16 exercises (very small diagrams) but basically, there’s 6 main things to the machine. 

1 Treadmill

2 Rowing Machine

3 Cycling (can be used with hands or feet)

4 That round waist twisting thing (hope you know what I’m on about)

5 It’s also got what they call a beauty massager, you put the straps around you and let the machine stir your bits around…

6 It’s got the things there to hook your feet under, to do situps.

I really am at a loss as to where to start, could one of you guys/gals put me on the right track with a sort of fitness regime. Kind of like if I use the running machine - How long should I run for and at what sort of speed(fast walk, gentle jog, etc.)

OK, so a bit about me, I’m 31 years old, female and have been in Thailand 5 and a half years.  In that length of time, have failed to do anything more strenuous than running for a bus.

I gave up smoking 25 days ago and worked it out that I usually spend 930 baht a month on cigarettes. Well, the payments for my new toy is only 850 baht a month, so i’m still ahead… :D

Oh yeah, just one more thing, that massager, what does it help to achieve (is it just to feel good or does it actually do anything) Apparently you can do your bum/thighs/neck and stomach with it.  How long should i use it for?

Thanks in advance :o

RedHotChilli

Firstly the:

Massager - crap, no scientific proof of benefit.

Turntable - dangerous

Treadmill - OK

Rowing -OK

Sit-Up - OK

Cycling - OK

What you have there is a cardio-Vascular machine, the treadmill will do this on its own. The cycling machine is also cardio but doesn't produce results as quickly as the treadmill. It can help thigh strength if you increase the torque. Sit-up are purely for abdominal strengthening when executed properly. The rowing machine will produce leg tension and strength when only pushing away, and upper body strength when pulling away ( mostly with the back and chest).

Do not attempt using the sit-up part until you have developed your stomache muscles. This should be done without the aid of your new toy.

Lay flat on your back, make sure that during this exercise you keep your lower back flat on the floor and not under stress, this can be achieved by beginning on padding which supports all your body from head to bum. Start with your lower abs.

Raise one leg to the bent position, with foot flat on the floor. The back of your neck should remain straight and relaxed. Raise the extended leg bending as you do so to meet the first leg and lower. Breath out as you endure stress and keep the abs tight throughout the exercise. Do this with deliberation and for as many repetitions as you feel able. Change legs and repeat, but do both legs equally.

Upper abs,

Adopt same opening position. Both legs raised and flat. tighten abs. Place hands behind the head and raise head slightly off the ground using the shoulder to lift not the hands. From this position raise the chest 2/3 inches breathing out and return keeping abs tight. Do 5 sets of 10 reps.

As you strengthen the abs you will be able to raise yourself higher to do crunches, but in time do not over achieve as this is where injuries originate.

Later you can turn to touch your left knee with your right elbow, and right to left, this will strengthen you oblique muscles( on the side of your stomache) but later. Always increase your task each time you exercise. Eventually you will find you can do 100's and add weight. Then you will have your washboard belly without injury.

WARNING: If you begin with the straps to sit-up now you could easily cause serious injury to your lower back that will be with you the remainder of your life.

Treadmill: Again keep stomache muscles taught. The timing is entirely up to you and your present condition. Your body will tell you if you have bitten off to much to begin with. Learn from this and adjust. Important is technique or breathing properly while you run. Start off with a brisk walking regime to warn your system of what is to come and build up to disciplined running. During the running and after a while encorporate running on your toes to strengthen the calves. Again increase your running time to increase staminer. Always replace lost water with small regular amounts (mouthful) too much will cause cramp.

Rowing:

Please let me know if this is a slide rower by PM

Cycling: Do as you please but again build up.

IMPORTANT:

It is essential you strengthen your back before putting it under stress on the rower.

While doing your floor Abdominals, turn over lie flat on you stomache legs straight with toes pointing out. Be relaxed. Hands behind the back resting on your butt. Raise your shoulders 2 inches and return, without resting repeat. Do this no more than 5 rep's to start and build on that. Then with leg bent to start raise one leg at a time 4/5 inches and return again 5 reps each leg and build on that. After you must stretch out the back. Lay on your back, bring your legs to your chest holding them with your arms and squeeze out gently and retun. Finish.

This regime gently increased will substantially increase your cardio, strength, and indurance within two weeks if adopted daily without any breaks.

Try to add some aerobics to this and you will improve suppleness also.

ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR BACK.

Happy tuning,

Teach

Thanks for the link Yeti, there seems to be a lot of good info on it, I'll have a good read later.

Teach, wow, that was a really good post, just the sort of thing that I was after.

It was interesting to find out that the waist twister is dangerous - that's a shame, I kind of liked the look of that one.

Also finding out that the massager is a waste of space, I told my gf that and she was more than slightly disappointed. I think she thought it had some sort of magic fat busting powers :o

If it wasn't for your post, I probably would have gone straight into doing my situps on the machine. So thanks to you, it looks like i've saved myself from a possible back injury.

The rower is a slider, as in the chair slides up and down the rails, is that what you mean?

I only got the machine today and I've only just got home, i'll leave it until tomorrow until I get my exercise head on.

Just out of interest, how much exercise, should I be doing a week (using my machine) What I mean is should it last an hour, three times a week, or should I be doing more?

RedHotChilli

A WORKOUT SCHEDULE

How often, how long and how hard you exercise, and what kinds of exercises you do should be determined by what you are trying to accomplish. Your goals, your present fitness level, age, health, skills, interest and convenience are among the factors you should consider. For example, an athlete training for high-level competition would follow a different program than a person whose goals are good health and the ability to meet work and recreational needs.

Your exercise program should include something from each of the four basic fitness components described previously. Each workout should begin with a warmup and end with a cooldown. As a general rule, space your workouts throughout the week and avoid consecutive days of hard exercise.

It's alright, i've just found the answer to my own question from Yeti's Link...It would be hard for you to assess my needs from just a post.

On second thoughts, i'd still be interested in how much exercise other posters do.

Edited by RedHotChilli

When I bought the treadmill for my gf, she began with 40 minutes of running everyday, after 3 weeks she was running more than 1 hour everyday, after 6 or 7 weeks, she stopped :o

I guess a good answer would be as much as your body can, without being so bored with it that you can't stand it anymore, or look for the 1st excuse you can find for not exercising.

I swim between 40 minutes and 1 hour everyday, but I like to swim, so it's not really the same :D

Sustaining motivation is the biggest challenge you face if you are looking to remain fit for years on end. As someone said, finding an excuse not to do it is one of the easiest things in the world, especially if you've had a hard day at work. Sometimes, though you do need to take a step backwards before you can go forwards. So if your body is telling you to ease up, it's better to do that than to continue regardless. This is one of the quickest ways to lose your interest perminently.

Don't push yourself too hard mate but push yourself nonetheless. Remember that exercise has to put some strain on your body to make it worthwhile but that doesn't mean you can't still enjoy it.

I run 6 times a week for about 45 minutes. It's taken a year for my body to be able to take it. Now I can do it, shower and go straight out without feeling any immediate effects. I rarely feel tired, perhaps because I am 18Kg's lighter because it of it, which I believe, is about the same weight as a heavy backpack.

If you persevere, you'll get there in the end. All good things come to those who wait as they say.

Good luck.

Edited by fw1

Thanks for the link Yeti, there seems to be a lot of good info on it, I'll have a good read later.

Teach, wow, that was a really good post, just the sort of thing that I was after.

It was interesting to find out that the waist twister is dangerous - that's a shame, I kind of liked the look of that one.

Also finding out that the massager is a waste of space, I told my gf that and she was more than slightly disappointed. I think she thought it had some sort of magic fat busting powers  :o

If it wasn't for your post, I probably would have gone straight into doing my situps on the machine.  So thanks to you, it looks like i've saved myself from a possible back injury.

The rower is a slider, as in the chair slides up and down the rails, is that what you mean?

I only got the machine today and I've only just got home, i'll leave it until tomorrow until I get my exercise head on.

Just out of interest, how much exercise, should I be doing a week (using my machine)  What I mean is should it last an hour, three times a week, or should I be doing more?

RedHotChilli

As it is a slider good, it is almost impossible without sheer negligence to do any damage to your back with the slider. Just make sure when you use it for the top half that you don't begin the pull with the lower back.

The other responders offer good advice and with regard to discipline routines, if you struggle then try to put the machine in front of the TV or in eye sight thereof. You can do as much as you wish , you'll never overdo it as long as you build into it. With regard to warming and cooling, that is specifically what your machine does. The times when you will need to warm and cool is when you push yourself to extremes, Just don't bust into it and don't suddenly stop, slow in slow out.

T.

Someone in our house just bought the exact same machine at Big C. Everyone has used it once and there it sits, unused forever more.

Try this instead:

Start walking outside. I know it's hot, but do it anyway. Start out with ten minutes or whatever you can handle. Walk fast enough to get your heart pumping and your breath going. Do this five or six days a week. Eventually work up to an hour a day. I run 40 minutes six days a week in the morning and then try to do a long walk (3 1/2 hours yesterday) in the afternoon.

Buy some cheap hand weights. I got some at Lotus. Start out with 1 or 2 kilo weights. Just do some simple curls, presses and bench presses. Start out with five repetitions and work up to ten or twenty. When you can do that easily, buy some heavier weights. I do a routine like this with 3 kilo weights four or five times a week.

Do some crunches. (Modified sit ups.) Start out with just a few and continue until you can do 25 or so per day. If you don't like that, get an Ab-Slide or similar device. I do 30 extensions with the ab-slide followed by 20 or 30 crunches four or five times a week. (Crunch: like on your back, hands at the side, knees bent. Slowly curl up and forward, starting with your neck and extending to your back. You don't have to go up very far; just until you feel it in your gut. Slow go back down and repeat....)

You can get all the exercise and wight training you need without a machine and without spending more than a few hundred baht.

Or, get a Sedgway and never do any exercise at all. (See the Jokes forum for more detail!)

I go running along the roads. The pollution and heat don't bother me in the slightest. I find that I sweat almost as much from walking, at least if you go at a brisk pace you get a breeze. I used to think that people were nuts to go running in Thailand but having done it constantly for the last 6 months I can't say that's there's anything particularly difficult about it.

• 3 weeks later...
On second thoughts, i'd still be interested in how much exercise other posters do.

I have an elliptical trainer - kind of a low impact running and arm working machine thingy. I do 40 minutes 3 times a week - more if I can but I don't like to overdo the same muscles so on alternate nights I'll do some pilates exercices to strengthen my back (its a posture thing!) and some situps.

Happy exercising!

Simone

I have a brand new home gym fitness machine that I bought for 19,000 Baht but can't use now as I recently changed apartments and don't have anywhere to put it. It is packed up and on my balcony now.

It has a bench, lat pulldown, leg machine, pec deck, and curl. The machine has a lot of different exercises that can be used with it and is a good machine but I don't have a place to set it up now.

If anyone is interested in purchasing a home gym, I will sell it for much less than I paid for it.