Why Live On Sukhumvit?

daveh

I think this smacks more of envy than anything else. I live on suk and pay alot for the convenience of having access to western amenities together with the thai ones and for the best apartments and the best schools. Are you telling me you wouldn't want to give your family the best you could if you could afford it?

If I had a family I certainly wouldn't want them living anywhere near lower Suhkumvit. The place is a complete dump.

I think we need to divide Suk a bit. The part between Soi 1 and Asoke and the rest.

Bit like saying Walking street is all of Pattaya.

Ya this needs to be clarified. I live all the way down at the end of the skytrain on Sukhumvit and it isnt overpriced and it isnt scummy, you could safely raise a family here in peace. Not even a large amount of falangs either. But it is close to convenience which is what I need. Why would you live near NANA? Yuck :) I mean... if ho's are NOT a major part of your life that is.

Because I want to and because I can.

like other posters have stated Sukumvit is more then Suk 1 - 18.

And living on Sukhumvit doesnt mean you are living directly at Sukhumvit Rd. I live on a side street just off Phrom Pong. Its quiet and green.

Its close to the Skytrain so its very convenient for the mrs and I to get to work. I place a high value on convenience.

You'd have to pay me to live in lower Suhkumvit. The place is just awful, I can't imagine living there voluntarily. Some of the higher number sois would be fine though.

I used to stay in a guesthouse on Soi 38 off of Sukhumvit. That is the Thong Lo BTS area I believe (haven't been there in a while). Soi 63 is on the other side of the road. Soi 38 was a nice quiet place, once you got 100 meters or so off the intersection with Sukhumvit road. Trees and the birds singing around that guest house used to wake me up in the morning, not the traffic. If I wanted, there was a tennis court about 30 meters away. At nighttime there was a food seller area at the junction of Soi 38 and Sukhumvit road...it was renowned for good food...even the Thais went there in their Mercades for noodles. Good security too, the Queen's sister (now deceased) lived further down the Soi.

For farang amenities....at least 3 7/11 stores within a block, lots of restaurants and clubs on Soi 63. Indian, Chinese, Japanese, and European restaurants within 5 minutes of home. Good Thai restaurants too, where you coild sit in the courtyard with a good drink and good food with your friends

And best of all...few farangs/bargirls/ladyboys to bother you.

I regard anything above Soi 30 as the Farang Ghetto area of Bangkok (lower number Sois, I mean)

Now I live out near the old Don Muang airport. Not many farangs. I have my Thai family,the family car, and everything I need is within less than a Kilometer by car. A cold beer within 20 meters any time of the day.

So why should I live on Sukhumvit?

:)

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Simple observation.

Most of the expats are old, and refuse to change/adapt; They refuse to learn the language, the culture , the landscape, etc... Close down the bars for a few weeks, and they will be leaving by the loads. Why do you think every other posts on here is about Sin sod, or in some form of fashion bashing thais i.e why don't they or why do they. Here is a question, why not stop and ask and individual on the street, that way you can attempt to interact other than sitting behind a lap top all day.

I agree with the OP, it's overpriced; If you do not know the difference then you really need to get out and about!

Thus the reason I call Sukhumvit the "Suck"

I could go on , and on , but really what would be the point : )

A simple observation in more ways than one. Stop stereotyping. I'm an old (60) expat. I am taking Thai language lessons twice weekly. I try to spend at least two or three days a week in photo-walks where I spend the day seeking out only Thai neighborhoods and culture. I don't ever go the bars or pay for girls. But I do live off Sukhumvit.

Now I live out near the old Don Muang airport. Not many farangs. I have my Thai family,the family car, and everything I need is within less than a Kilometer by car. A cold beer within 20 meters any time of the day.

So why should I live on Sukhumvit?

Good restaurants, easy shopping, not having to drive... :)

Simple observation.

Most of the expats are old, and refuse to change/adapt; They refuse to learn the language, the culture , the landscape, etc... Close down the bars for a few weeks, and they will be leaving by the loads.

Simple observation.

The expats are here because they have a job here.

So they're not that old actually.

And indeed most of them do not learn the language and the culture because they're in Thailand for a short time and have no time to learn the language. They work...

The ones staying for the girls and the bars are not expats actually, by my definition of expats, that is... :)

I think this smacks more of envy than anything else. I live on suk and pay alot for the convenience of having access to western amenities together with the thai ones and for the best apartments and the best schools. Are you telling me you wouldn't want to give your family the best you could if you could afford it?

If I had a family I certainly wouldn't want them living anywhere near lower Suhkumvit. The place is a complete dump.

I think we need to divide Suk a bit. The part between Soi 1 and Asoke and the rest.

Bit like saying Walking street is all of Pattaya.

Agreed

I think the answer is 'because we can'. Wouldn't touch anything on the wrong side of Asoke, but did live in Soi 8 for a couple of years when it was still green and peaceful. That changed pretty rapidly three years ago.

Big fan of Ari as well. Great spot. Not too many other places I'd live though unless they had MRT/BTS access and an express way entrance 5 mins away. I like getting to work in less than 20 mins. My wife likes the choice of Carefore, Villa or Foodland.

Simple observation.

Most of the expats are old, and refuse to change/adapt; They refuse to learn the language, the culture , the landscape, etc... Close down the bars for a few weeks, and they will be leaving by the loads. Why do you think every other posts on here is about Sin sod, or in some form of fashion bashing thais i.e why don't they or why do they. Here is a question, why not stop and ask and individual on the street, that way you can attempt to interact other than sitting behind a lap top all day.

I agree with the OP, it's overpriced; If you do not know the difference then you really need to get out and about!

Thus the reason I call Sukhumvit the "Suck"

I could go on , and on , but really what would be the point : )

:D

I don't know, maybe you can't afford to live on Sukhumvit, but yes it's somewhat overpriced but as Ts post makes very clear, it's also very convenient for nearly everything.

Also, a lot of people earn a living working on laptops thus enabling themselves the income to live on Sukhumvit :D

Why would I pay 30k+ for a unit, when I can have more square footage, at half the price any where away from the "SuCk", and spend those additional funds elsewhere (Seems like simple logic to me, but what do I Know). "Somewhat overpriced" > Keep your head buried in the sand!

Anyone who defends the "Suck", tells me more than I need to know about the individual.

Bottom line Sukhumvit not for CHEAP CHARLIES. :D:D:D:D

Yes, to be clear, I was referring to Sukhumvit lower than Asoke.

I have a friend who lives there that I recently visited. When I ask him the question, I get vague answers like, "Why would I want to live anywhere else?" and when cost is discussed, his response is "It's cheaper here than in the States."

I figure there was just other compelling reasons. So far, nothing anyone has said would compel me to live there (lower sois; upper sois are a different story). If money truly were not an issue, I could think of other places to live and be much happier.

It does seem to me, as an outside observer, that the major factor people like about that area is that it's more like the west. So maybe there is a bit of truth that while some people may want a change, they just don't want too much of a change. I know that's true for me, as I would never move up north and become a fisherman or rice farmer. But I did like living in th Ari area where not everyone spoke English, and there were few to no western restaurants. If I wanted western food, I cooked it or took the BTS to a western restaurant (I used to love going to the Londoner for their pork chops, but they changed their chef some years ago and the pork chops were never the same).

To the person who said there is good Mexican restaurants along Sukhumvit, you've lost all credibility since there is no such thing in Thailand! :)

Dave.

Yes it's crowded, loud, and overpriced, just like a major street in any world capital, but it's also vibrant and in the thick of things. That suits some people (not me) and to make derogatory comments about them is just foolish, and petty. People should, when possible, live in a place that suits them, where they can get the maximum enjoyment out of their lives. The real fool would be someone who lives somewhere to impress or gain approval of a complete stranger.

nearly any thai that has money wants to live around Sukhumvit and they do even though most down by Thong lo but in my block just off soi Nana it+s at least 70% Thai occupied so this is not a question regarding falangs , it is simply a desirable and very convenient place to live

although I agree that nana area is a bit annoying but just next door is soi 8 - a quiet oasis in a metropolis..Up and down Suk is extremely varied so its impossible to generalize but i would guess that 90% + of people (Thai/falang/others) who have the econimic means to live there , want to live there and do live there

up to you !

So far, nothing anyone has said would compel me to live there (lower sois; upper sois are a different story). If money truly were not an issue, I could think of other places to live and be much happier.

Good for you. Then live there if you ever come back to Thailand. You seem to be implying your friend and all of us who live here are making poor decisions - that is not the case. What is good for one guy isn't necessarily good for the next. We all have different tastes.

You can say something like we are scared to live in the 'real' Thailand and want to be in our Western cocoon. I look at it more like I want to live comfortably and anytime I want the 'real' Thailand is at my doorstep and just a taxi, BTS, MRT or short plane trip away - as opposed to the 16 hours most people have to fly to see it.

Good for you. Then live there if you ever come back to Thailand. You seem to be implying your friend and all of us who live here are making poor decisions - that is not the case. What is good for one guy isn't necessarily good for the next. We all have different tastes.

You can say something like we are scared to live in the 'real' Thailand and want to be in our Western cocoon. I look at it more like I want to live comfortably and anytime I want the 'real' Thailand is at my doorstep and just a taxi, BTS, MRT or short plane trip away - as opposed to the 16 hours most people have to fly to see it.

I certainly don't mean to be insulting, or condescending (as some seem to be). I just wanted to learn from those who had more insight.

My discussion shouldn't be taken as insulting any more than had I asked why someone would want to spend $300 per person for a meal when they could find excellent meals at much less the price.

Dave.

My discussion shouldn't be taken as insulting any more than had I asked why someone would want to spend $300 per person for a meal when they could find excellent meals at much less the price.

Hi Dave! I went back and read your original post, and yes, you asked a pretty innocent question that, as the discussion went on, evolved into a sometimes hot discussion. That's sort of the way of forums, I guess. After waking this morning, this thread actually had popped into my mind and I wanted to respond to something that someone said earlier.

To those who often say something like, "Bangkok isn't Thailand," well, yes it is...it's part of the whole and it is part of what Thailand is. It's sort of like saying the village of Sung Noen isn't Thailand. But, it's part of the whole. Sukhumvit isn't Bangkok? Well, yes, it is part of what Bangkok is. One doesn't have to like every part of Thailand or every part of Bangkok. Thailand is the sum of its parts, and it's nice to be able to savor the parts each of us enjoys the most, while putting other areas on our back burners. Even before the heat got turned up down south, I never really enjoyed traveling as much in Thailand's deep south. I just didn't enjoy the culture as much. I hate the neighborhood of Nana...and Soi Cowboy and Pat Pong...just not my style. But, except when I have to go to Bumrungrad, I can fairly easily avoid the area.

To those who want to keep Thailand "the way it was"...whatever they see that as being...it's not our personal museum. Life in Thailand evolves. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. Overall, the Thais seem to like the country they have. Some of us are allowed in to enjoy it with them.

You found meals for $300 on lower sukhumvit?? Please PM me the names of the restaurants! I cannot find a decent meal around here for less than $500, and that is food on the road! Sit down restaurant meals run me $1,000-$2,000 - I had no idea such discounts existed. I've been wasting so much money!!!!

You found meals for $300 on lower sukhumvit?? Please PM me the names of the restaurants! I cannot find a decent meal around here for less than $500, and that is food on the road! Sit down restaurant meals run me $1,000-$2,000 - I had no idea such discounts existed. I've been wasting so much money!!!!

I once spent 250US$ for a meal for 2 at the Mariott soi 4 new york steak house- great steaks but atmosphere of the restaurant sucked way to pretentious. Never again.