The Irish Question?

Hello All,

Sorry if this has been covered before I did a search and couldn't find a related post. So be gentle I'm a newbie.

I have been checking out the adverts seeking teachers for Thai schools on the internet, many of the adverts specify that only holders of English, Australian, American, Canadian and New Zealand passports need apply. Where does that leave holders of Irish passports? Do Thais make the blanket assumption that were British and as such we get the jobs, or does the charming lilt of an Irish accent produce a look of horror and fear in the job interviewer?

All opinions(well most) are greatly appreciated.

All the best,

G

Guess it depends on how thick your accent is, known a few Irish teachers around town, seem to be doing OK for themselves. Can understand them too!

I wouldn't say I had a particularly strong accent(I suppose everyone thinks that though). I'm from Dublin so I wouldn't consider my accent as flavoursome as others, but seriously would having a passport from a country that isn't in the premiere league of choices make any difference?

Thais aren't familiar with every English speaking country. My daughter in law and granddaughter are from Ennis, but I'm afraid the country's a bit too small for general recognition. In March 2005 we were going through a US Immigration point and my d-in-law swears the American Immigration officers had never heard of Ireland!

This may be hard advice, but I suggest you put on your resume for Thailand that you're from Ireland, which has always spoken British English. Sorry, but that's the quick and dirty way to say it.

I understand my d-in-law's West Irish accent better than lots of the UK people's accents. You could add that you also speak Irish, but that wouldn't help.

This may be hard advice, but I suggest you put on your resume for Thailand that you're from Ireland, which has always spoken British English.  Sorry, but that's the quick and dirty way to say it.

My old history teacher will roll in his grave, but if needs must. thanks for the advice PB

Edited by O'Gara

Hmm, then I'd better keep my mouth shut about my orgins !

I'm Welsh, but the chances of the Thais knowing that there's such a place as Wales are pretty remote. It could also be a problem that, strictly speaking, English is not my Native/First language - it's Welsh.

Probably best just to keep shtwm, say I'm 'British' and wave my British passport at them (fortunately, I don't have a heavy accent).

:o

Hey O'Gara,

Speaking as a Tipperary man, I wouldn't worry one ounce about it. I have two good jobs here and my accent has never been an issue....in fact it's been an asset to me on a number of occasions. But then again seeing as you're a Dub............. :D

I know what you're saying about your history teacher...... :o

Ta dochas orm go bhfuair tu obair mo chara.

zehner