Laos Visa On Entry, Why In Us Dollars?

All,

A friend of mine is going to be popping over into Vientiane, Laos for a visa run, and I'm trying to nail down some details about the Laos visa before she goes.

I don't know if they're just funny rumors but I seem to recall hearing both that its cheaper to get your Laos visa at their embassy in Bangkok before leaving, and that its cheaper to pay for the Visa-on-arrival using US dollars.

From a few searches here, it seems like the visa wouldn't be cheaper when picked up in advance in Bangkok but it might save time at the border if they're busy. Correct?

The advice I've seen on the cost at the border seems to hold true, that its around 1500 baht or $35. Roughly, $35 comes up to around 1155 baht. Seems an odd thing to give a discount on one currency without regard to the normal exchange rate. So, is it worth it to covert a bit o' baht into dollars just for this one "purchase"?

Thanks!

Ryan

Embassies set their own exchange rate and may keep it constant for a week, month, or whatever, easier than trying to keep up with the daily rate changes posted by the Bank of Thailand.

http://www.bkklaoembassy.com/consular%20service/visafee.htm

For Americans, the fee is baht 1,400, and pickup the next day. Pay another baht 200 for service while you wait, perhaps 30-60 minutes. [note: that's as of 1 Sept 2007, seems to me it was baht 1,200 + baht 200 two years ago when I went to the embassy for a visa, was going up via Nan through Huei Khon-Muang Nguen, which was Visa Only at the time, now it's Visa On Arrival.]

Normally, like last month when I went to Laos, I do the Visa On Arrival at Thannaleng.

Mac

Embassies set their own exchange rate and may keep it constant for a week, month, or whatever, easier than trying to keep up with the daily rate changes posted by the Bank of Thailand.

For Americans, the fee is baht 1,400, and pickup the next day. Pay another baht 200 for service while you wait, perhaps 30-60 minutes. [note: that's as of 1 Sept 2007, seems to me it was baht 1,200 + baht 200 two years ago when I went to the embassy for a visa, was going up via Nan through Huei Khon-Muang Nguen, which was Visa Only at the time, now it's Visa On Arrival.]

Seems straight forward, but the figures don't add up. Perhaps its just an outdated website? I know that when I got my Laos visa on arrival 2 months ago it cost me $36 USD, $35 for the visa plus a $1 fee for my evening "after hours" arrival. Thats only around 1188 Baht. Not complaining, seems like thats a pretty good deal. Well, no, its a large amount of money to pay for a 30 day visa when you're only going to use it for two days..... :) well, that rant isn't really worth talking about.

I never even saw any kind of same-day/next-day price difference, maybe they figure most people wouldn't trek all the way to the border just to wait another day, everyone is already to just cross immediately. So, they only post the "while you wait" price.

Thanks!

Seems straight forward, but the figures don't add up. Perhaps its just an outdated website? I know that when I got my Laos visa on arrival 2 months ago it cost me $36 USD, $35 for the visa plus a $1 fee for my evening "after hours" arrival. Thats only around 1188 Baht. Not complaining, seems like thats a pretty good deal. Well, no, its a large amount of money to pay for a 30 day visa when you're only going to use it for two days..... :) well, that rant isn't really worth talking about.

I never even saw any kind of same-day/next-day price difference, maybe they figure most people wouldn't trek all the way to the border just to wait another day, everyone is already to just cross immediately. So, they only post the "while you wait" price.

Thanks!

The "same day vs next day" deal for baht 200 is at the Lao Embassy in Bangkok, a bit of a pain to get to in any case, hardly worth the trouble.

Mac

Yes, for at least 7 years, it's been much cheaper to pay in US dollars for your visa on arrival at the border. There's always been a 200-500 baht discrepancy between paying in baht and USD. Maybe they don't like changing their signs so often, every time there's a currency rate fluctuation?

:) As usual, the good old US dollar is still the currency of choice in most of the world--can be exchanged in any country, any bank, at reliable daily-published rates. Accepted at most border crossings as well. Don't leave home without it. Ever try to switch your baht or any other Asian currency over to dollars once you leave Asia? The yen is the only currency I've had any luck with. Long-lasting rumors have it that the Euro will replace the dollar as the exchange currency of choice. Not in my lifetime. :D

Edited by toptuan

As long as the currency is working in their favour then I guess they will not update the exchange price. A few weeks ago I crossed into Laos at Chong Mek and they tried hitting me up for 1,500 baht. I told them that the exchange is more like 1200 baht so I offered then 1300 and they accepted.

Last September I crossed the border at Chong Mek / Vangtao. Laos immigration there accepts only US$. 30 US$ for German passport holders. No queues at all.

On Sunday January 24th I crossed the boarder at Nong Khai at 17:00. At Laos immigration I was the only one at the counter. I got the visa application form and the arrival card handed out, filled them in and returned both, payed 30 US$ + 1 for overtime. Within 5 minutes I got my passport with visa and entry stamp back together with the departure card, the arrival card was kept. Thus I could enter Laos without enqueuing behind the about 15 people waiting for the entry stamp.

This was a real pleasure and also cheaper than the 1200 THB plus 200 for express (10 minutes) which I paid last year at the Laos consulate in Khon Kaen.