Moving To Chiang Rai - Any Advice

nickjam

Hi

I'm moving up to Chiang Rai for employment in August. I've done some searches through the forums to get a better idea for the place and everyone was talking about rice harvests! I'm aware that it's a fairly sleepy town but can anyone give an update on facilities and any nightlife. I'm not looking for insane 200bpm techno clubs, just a few cool bars with a pool table and the footie on. Are all the major supermarkets up there, e.g. Topps, Foodland?

I've heard it's got some cool motorcycle routes so any info on 1-2 day rides would be appreciated.

Cheers

This ought to be fun to watch. :)

I'll start off with an affirmative to a few smallish Tops and a no to Foodland. Most people go to BigC and Makro. Sometimes thing that are not available there, can be sourced in a couple of smaller farang oriented shops with an emphasis on high cholesterol.

Check out the Pinned Google Map. The only organization is alphabetical so you will just have to search through what is there.

For motorcycle information check out gt-rider.com.

Edited by villagefarang

Considered moving up there a while ago as I like the place.......more laid back and friendly folk IMHO.

There are a few bars and a little nightlife scene in Jet Yod Road, not far from the night bazaar and behind Wancome Hotel.

The "Cat" bar is nice with a little live music where anyone can get up and play/sing along.....nice folk and good atmosphere. A few other bars along that road and some nice eating places in the main road, Phaholiothin Road.

Also some lovely places to explore. Enjoy your time up there

Plenty of time between now and August, come up for a weekend if possible. But if you can't don't worry, there's everything you need here and if not then Chiang Mai is only 2-3hrs away and a beautiful ride too if on a bike. You'll have no problem with shopping, drinking and playing pool, eating out, sports etc etc and there's even an international school opening in August too!

Some might say it's 'sleepy' but for me it's just right. Like VF said already, the bext option for info on motorcycle touring is gt-rider.com and north Thailand has some of the best roads in the country for touring on a motorcycle (or bicycle). Nice one-bedroom apartments can be found for around 2-3000baht pm and houses from 4000 baht upwards. Have a read through some of the older posts on the CR forum too, lots of info about pretty much everything.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your replies. I'll probably come up next month to have a look around but would welcome any pointers on good places to live. I'd ideally like a nice 2 bed house with internet and a garden. I'm guessing Chiang Rai's the kind of place where personal recommendations are better than online ads but if anyone does know of a reputable agency, I'd be grateful to hear.

I'm hoping to adopt a dog and have some bbqs, something that i've missed living in condos. Can anyone comment on air quality, I've been reading grim things. Surely it can't be as bad as BKK!!!

My comments wrt posting

1- I live BKK and just spent 2 weeks on the sticks. I'm just spending 24 hrs in the city but am a regular visitor.  My throat is affected by the poor air in the city. 

2- The province is rich with nature and ideal for riding dirt bikes or even a simple Honda dream.  If u like nature, low key tourism etc. u will love the province.    Travelfish.com.  For simple yet accurate info.

3- Unfortunately cos the city is small, sexpats are overly evident. For some, east to ignore, for others not so. Depends on u, but sth I would consider before locating here

. Can anyone comment on air quality, I've been reading grim things. Surely it can't be as bad as BKK!!!

At the moment it's very bad here.

My eyes are stinging and visibility is very poor.

Don't know what sort of effect it's having on my lungs but it can't be good.

I'm looking for one of these

gas-masks-1.jpg

Don't know of anywhere for rent but will ask around. Air quality is bad at the moment but it usually clears around the end of March or early April, the rest of the year it's really nice, think you'll like the cool season here too after living in Phuket!

Yes I must say it will be nice to actually experience some seasons. I always think of Good Morning Vietnam when describing Bangkok weather "Weather out there today is hot and shitty, with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon..." Looking forward to wearing a jacket although I may not be so keen when my teeth are chattering on the morning moped ride.

Sorry to hear about the temporary air quality. Whats the problem, crop burning?

Low key tourism, motorbike rides with a bit of golf thrown in sounds right up my alley. Does anyone play 6 a side football? I play every Tuesday in BKK and it's always a good laugh and blows the weekend cobwebs away.

dopt a dog and have some bbqs, something that i've missed living in condos. Can anyone comment on air quality, I've been reading grim things. Surely it can't be as bad as BKK!!!

Most of the year it's much better. In March, it's MUCH worse, and that applies to the entire North. Plus it's just dry, hot and nasty. Pattaya makes a lot of sense in March.