Most Reliable Isp Connection For Gaming In Samui?

cyprean

I play a lot of games online which require a stable connection to the internet. The games do not require a lot of bandwidth, but a low latency connection that does not have packetloss or disconnects.

I am ready to spend a little more on a quality connection.

What ISP and package do you recommend? If you know, please include price, installation time, minimum contract details and availability (limited to certain areas?) as well. I don't have a place yet, so all options are available.

Also if you can recommend a hotel or a villa with a good connection for gaming please let me know.

Hi,

3BB (Former TT&T) is very good, specially with international route. Also CAT telecom quiet stable and they say they use now the new undersea cable which makes better ping but it not :) Welcome to Thailand... Also if u get signal for Siam-WIFI they use 3BB so it should be good for you and no contract, might be suitable for you.

think u can buy the business package, u get the full 10 mgsor 5 mgs or what ever to yourself. the problem with the standard package for just over 1000 baht per month.is that it is 10 mgs but u have to chare that with something like 50 people. so if u have the box to yourself. it should be 50 times faster. that is what my mate does in bangkok for gaming.

it is more expensive maybe 5000 baht or more per month. though the internet does seem to bet getting faster here all the time.

The problem is most of the times if a farang wants ADSL internet the ISP want 1 year deposit :)

This is a one year contract and in the past many farang left the island after 2-3 months and the ISP blamed the thai landlord, the landlord dont want to pay because he only give house for rent.

there's no problem for the landlord, he takes the line on his name and charges the foreigner the penalty of 1000 baht required by the isp to cut the line before a year.

simple as that ;-)

Edited by NHJ

The problem is most of the times if a farang wants ADSL internet the ISP want 1 year deposit :D

This is a one year contract and in the past many farang left the island after 2-3 months and the ISP blamed the thai landlord, the landlord dont want to pay because he only give house for rent.

i have never paid 1 year deposit. may be i should keep my mouth shut :)

recommend you realize gambling is illegal in Thailand :)

Are you seeing something I'm not? Where did the word gambling appear? There is a lot of interactive games on the net.

yes i think that it is still legal to play games in thailand. Think fun is still legal. unlike back home. Open grass fields. with loads of speace. with sign saying " no ball games". i am really bitter about the UK.

The problem is most of the times if a farang wants ADSL internet the ISP want 1 year deposit :D

i have never paid 1 year deposit. may be i should keep my mouth shut :)

Me too, I stay here nearly 5 years ago, but was a bit surprised when they find this out a year ago... Anyway i have thai gf, so its not problem for me now. Also it would depend on ISP because if i apply 3BB they dont ask for the landlord sign, but TOT, CAT does. Anyway all will ask for the house paper copy, for sure.

Is TOT or T&T any good? (has TOT somehow improved their service greatly is what I am asking)

I was offered a villa which has TOT.

TOT used to s.u.c.k big time. They've improved drastically and stabilized their service to the promised level. Past 6 months I've got only few mishapps that never lasted more than 30 mins and I'm using web a lot. I could recommend their 3MB service as its fast and stable - at least in the part where I'm living (Maenam), 950 Baht/month

Had a couple of small hiccups with TOT, nothing major. If anything , their speed has just about doubled for me.Phone support was OK not brilliant, tradesman out same day.

So I suppose it depends on where you are.

• 2 months later...

@samuidude

i live also in maenam (soi 1) (since one month) and ive got the tot 8mb package,it worked fine the first 3 weeks but about a week ago i had problems the whole day and then 3 days before it started again.a whole day i couldnt open any page(except google)..since two days internet is back but i get never more than 1-2mbit to server in bkk.before i had always 8mbiz international using a downloadmanager.im using sharetv and it did worked very well and fast but even this is very slow...anybody can confirm this for tot maenam area??

how is 3bb in maenam area...if it want get better with tot i maybe have to change,but so fat i was always very lucky with them.had ipstar 2mbit on koh phangan and 3 mbit tot adsl,worked like a charm...but now on koh samui im running into the same problems people report about tot.

any comment much appreciated!!!

cheers

k.

Is TOT or T&T any good? (has TOT somehow improved their service greatly is what I am asking)

I was offered a villa which has TOT.

TOT used to s.u.c.k big time. They've improved drastically and stabilized their service to the promised level. Past 6 months I've got only few mishapps that never lasted more than 30 mins and I'm using web a lot. I could recommend their 3MB service as its fast and stable - at least in the part where I'm living (Maenam), 950 Baht/month

CAT Telecom is the most reliable, follow by TT&T Premier. I would avoid TOT. I have had all three at my premises and I am a heavy user, latency sensitive for stuff like remote desktop. TOT latency to BKK alone is often 70ms+, CAT can be in the region of 25ms.

But neither are great, some CAT routes do suffer some contention. Some "IT people" will tell you that CAT run a dedicated line to your premises, this is somewhat true, the line terminates at a DSLAM (like the Boat house in chong mon), TT&T and TOT have mini DSLAM on every few lamp posts, so the difference is negligible and you shouldnt believe your getting a leased line.

If the game server is located in Singapore or Malaysia or even Thailand you should be okay, anywhere I would think the latency and packet loss would be detrimental.

Switched from TOT to 3bb (TT&T) 10 mb, for gaming its fine using Jpn and other Asian countries but forget about Europe the lag is too bad. pc gaming or console ?

yes u might have to pay about 4 or 5 k for a decent line. u can have the internet box all to yourself. thats what my mate in bangkok does. he plays allot of games. though u can also sign up to a prozy server also for about 8 quid a month and watch uk tv. become expensive but if u compare it to UBC and all that then u might be able to dump it.

high speed connection and download all the movies and filme and wtahc uk tv. i herd that u can pair your computer with your IPOD and your flat screen TV but i don't know how my mate done it