Windows Xp Activation

opalhort

Hi,

It is my understanding that when activating a licensed WIN XP you will have to provide the name of the supplier. Is this true?

I will get a new PC with a licensed OEM version (licence agreement etc. all OK) from a small computer company (a registered Co., Ltd.) but they are not sure if I can enter their name as supplier since they obtain the software from somwhere else. They have no objection to use their name but are not sure if this is OK with MS.

Does the supplier have to be registered with Microsoft as an authorized distributor or can I use this Co name?

Note: price of this WIN XP is 7,400.- Baht, is this reasonable or does it sound "fishy"?

Regards

opalhort

I hope that you will be getting the Official Windows license sticker with your PC - otherwise it could be that they are installing a copied version.

As for entering the company details, this may be a recent MS development as I have activated a number of "backup" versions of XP in the past and not needed supplier details.

I hope that you will be getting the Official Windows license sticker with your PC - otherwise it could be that they are installing a copied version.

As for entering the company details, this may be a recent MS development as I have activated a number of "backup" versions of XP in the past and not needed supplier details.

Agreed. When you intall it'll ask for the long registration number on the sticker. It'll also ask if you want to register the product with Microsoft but you have the option to skip it. Activation can be done after intallation, but it's just a click of the mouse. I think you have 30 days to do it. At no time is any information about the supplier requested. Unless, as triplegee says, there's been a very recent change.

PS: 7,400B (US190) sounds expensive to me!

Edited by johnrh

Hi,

It is my understanding that when activating a licensed WIN XP you will have to provide the name of the supplier. Is this true?

I will get a new PC with a licensed OEM version (licence agreement etc. all OK) from a small computer company (a registered Co., Ltd.) but they are not sure if I can enter their name as supplier since they obtain the software from somwhere else. They have no objection to use their name but are not sure if this is OK with MS.

Does the supplier have to be registered with Microsoft as an authorized distributor or can I use this Co name?

Note: price of this WIN XP is 7,400.- Baht, is this reasonable or does it sound "fishy"?

Regards

opalhort

:o

I'm not sure about the price, but I know that when you activate windows XP the only info you have to send MS is the number. They don't ask for any personal info or supplier name.

However, I am assuming the number is a valid number not a pirated/stolen one. If it is a pirated (used previously or stolen) number all bets are off as to what MS will do. Certainly it won't work when you try to register it at activation. MS then might be very nasty about how you acquired that number.

Personally, I have had my legal copy of Windows XP Home fail 3 times. Each time I managed to restore it, but each time I had to then re-activate it before I could use it.

:D