Troops In Chiang Mai

BarnicaleBob

at about 5:50 PM today, just after I crossed the Ping River Bridge as I was heading out of town on the 118 / Kaeonawarat Road, I passed five or more army trucks loaded with 100 or so troops dressed out in combat gear headed into the city. Anyone know what that is all about, Red Shirt thing maybe?

BB

I passed five or more army trucks loaded with 100 or so troops dressed out in combat gear headed into the city.

Intimidation of the people. That's what the army is best at anyway. God forbid they ever have to fight an actual war.

Yeah! (Though who is intimidated? ... oh wait .... you mean the Reds? Sae Daeng has probably armed the radical elements of the reds better than the ave army grunt!)

and yes God forbid that they ever have to fight any war! (Then again the last war with significant deaths was Thaksin's war on his own people ineptly titled a War on Drugs!)

Well, from the OP's description, sounds like he saw some Thai Army troops, right near Kawila barracks, one of the largest Army bases in this part of Thailand.

I ride through Wing 41 daily, and I commonly see big troop trucks with guys in full combat kit.

Maybe they were going to Mae Rim to do some live fire exercises.

(Of course security is being stepped up prior to the 24th, but I wouldn't read too much into seeing soldiers- my point is that I see them all the time).

In the news report about the smoke conditions in Northern Thailand, reported on TV, it said that more troops would be stationed on Doi Suthep for forest fire watch. Lets give the troops a break, they are doing their duty in protecting CM. Think about Calf. and Spain recently. Wildfires are hideous. If you live in a village out there keep a watch, I would be concerned.

I think there has been an important person, here to hand out degrees at the universities, recently ? And the trucks, at that time, are changing the guard at the Pu Ping Palace ?

They have been coming and going for the last couple of weeks. CMU graduation was on the 20th of January as I recall, Mae Jo was a couple of nights ago and others in between and there was not a military presence before so I doubt that is it.

Lets give the troops a break, they are doing their duty in protecting CM.

Perhaps they were brought in to kick it all off. It stinks out here towards Mae Jo... was fine before they rolled in :)

You are right about that! The air is so thick with smoke right now out towards Mae Jo that I was coughing when I went outside to walk the dog.

I saw 2 helicopters landing at the army base on Viphavadi-Rangsit this afternoon.

So two helicopters landing at the army base in Bangkok is really relevant to something happening in Chiang Mai.

Helicopters land somewhere everyday "either that or they get refuelled in the air" which I don't believe they do.

I don't hear of helicopters crashing everyday so it would seem that they must just land somewhere "or doesn't it" ?? :)

People get put off TV for writing shyt but never for writing something downright stupid :D

A lot of troops are presently here from Singapore Army on exercise..part of Cobra Gold I believe.

If Cobra Gold is in operation then things should be OK. Thailand (and it's supposed army) has never ever been in a war "just a bit of shooting over some non-important temple somewhere"

They didn't send them to Darfur "because it was too dangerous "and someone might have gotten shot"

One of my neighbour`s sons is in the Army.

He told us that the army is on standby in Chiang Mai for the expected red shirt onslaught that may happen within the next few days.

Somehow I think that if I were an army commander , I would not be using local troops to enforce anything in their own home area against possibly their own relatives. I would tend largely to bring in troops for another part of the country.

Local troops with local people just might tend to cause obvious problems.

Not saying that they would use locals.

Edited by Gonzo the Face