Dstv Africa

Peder

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to this thread it's apparently just a rumor.

But to answer your question. If DSTV cease to transmit on C-band there won't be any way you can receive DSTV here. (At least not until one day they might start broadcasting over IPTV and a way is found to receive that here.)

Edited by Phil Conners

This ending of the service in May is nothing more than a rumour. I have checked with my (legal) provider in China and was told that this rumour started in Thailand and there seems to be no foundation for it.

Multichoice C-Band DSTV service

Tuesday, 16 February, 2010 13:26

"DSTV Africa" <dstvafrica(at)multichoice.co.za>

Thank you for your e-mail dated 16 February 2010.

In regard to you query, please be informed that MultiChoice will stop emitting his services through C band satellite at the end of May 2010.

As a result, you are required to consult your nearest MultiChoice agent in order to advise you the required devices you need to pickup DStv signal in the zone where you are located.

Should you require any further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Kind regards,

J. K. Kabuya

Client liaison

This ending of the service in May is nothing more than a rumour. I have checked with my (legal) provider in China and was told that this rumour started in Thailand and there seems to be no foundation for it.

Multichoice C-Band DSTV service

Tuesday, 16 February, 2010 13:26

"DSTV Africa" <dstvafrica(at)multichoice.co.za>

Thank you for your e-mail dated 16 February 2010.

In regard to you query, please be informed that MultiChoice will stop emitting his services through C band satellite at the end of May 2010.

As a result, you are required to consult your nearest MultiChoice agent in order to advise you the required devices you need to pickup DStv signal in the zone where you are located.

Should you require any further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Kind regards,

J. K. Kabuya

Client liaison

Yes, defintely something going on as www.jsat.tv have no reference to Multichoice on there website anymore.

I disagree. You can see their program lineup here. It includes 5 "learning channels" (Discovery etc) where DSTV only have 2. They have the same news channels except for Sky News. I agree they don't have so many sports channels, but as I don't watch sport on TV I don't care :)

Dream has terrible resolution, lots of pixellation, almost as bad as UBC, and the programs are not very interesting.

I sent an email to DSTV's customer service group in Sub Saharan Afirca. I lied since I live in Thailand.

I wrote:

I used to be a subscriber and I still have a large C Band dish and LNB.

I am thinking of subscribing again, but I have heard DSTV may stop distributing its programming through the C Band satellite in May or June.

Is this true?

Would I need to get a new dish in order to subscribe?

Thanks for any information.

Here is the reply:

Yes, it’s true that on May or June the The IS 10 (C Band) service will terminate and we are advising customers on that satellite to change to IS7 or W7 platform. But to change to IS7 or W7 you don’t have to change the dish. The only thing you have to do is change the dish direction and buy an Multichoice Decoder to prevent piracy.

As others have said, the IS7 signal is KU band ( think small Truevisions dish ) which does not reach Thailand.

They're still advertising in China for Multichoice on C Band......at least the ad was dated 10 January 2010.

IS-20 with ku and C band is due to be launched "early 2012"......Read something that Multichoice had signed some deal with them for transmission to Asia.

Looks like multichoice is doomed in this area for now but what about 2012?

The end of C-band transmission has now also been confirmed on the DStv forum by a number of DStv employees.

:) ....bugger....

There is also another remark: DStv will continue to service the Cable providers in Asia. So how are they going to do that? C-band transmission with a different encryption? Cards will be paired to the decoders, which can't be done with the current system. I'm not surprised if just the encryption changes, and new decryption cards + STBs are only provided to legal subscribers in Asia. Which would be legal Cable TV Providers - might be interesting to see how many cable tv channels in Thailand will remain black in June.

Ohhh big problem on that then... I need to find a new way to get BBC Entertainment, i was enjoying that. all good things must come to an end... Any suggestions on that one?

other big issue is going to be in June, how do we get english coverage of the world cup?

Cheers.

This is a real bummer, lots of sport in English, good fishing shows with lovely tush.

Anyone now looking for Australia Network now who is not in Bangkok and I don't want to pay 16000 for a dish? Coming into footy season again which they show.

There is a guy on another thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Tv-Alternati....html&st=25

that reckons its possible to pickup the Ku Band, but I thought that was impossible as the Ku footprint is focused only on Africa, and even then not all of Africa.

I wonder what the alternatives are for decent sports coverage...

FTA indonesian channels for F1, Australia network if you have a clear line of sight, any other suggestions?

or is it time just to get Astro?

There is a guy on another thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Tv-Alternati....html&st=25

that reckons its possible to pickup the Ku Band, but I thought that was impossible as the Ku footprint is focused only on Africa, and even then not all of Africa.

I wonder what the alternatives are for decent sports coverage...

FTA indonesian channels for F1, Australia network if you have a clear line of sight, any other suggestions?

or is it time just to get Astro?

this footprint suggests you might be able to receive the Ku band signal from the China beam on a large dish around Chang Mai, but the rest of Thailand would not be able to get it.

this footprint suggests you might be able to receive the Ku band signal from the China beam on a large dish around Chang Mai, but the rest of Thailand would not be able to get it.

But the DSTV Ku beam on Intelsat 7/10 is not on the China beam, it is on the SA beam, and new Eutelsat W7 satellite where DSTV Africa is going to, does not even cover all of Africa, so no chance here or even in China.

36e-w7-ssa.gif36e-w7-sa.gif

See their site here

It looks like Middle East will be able to receive a good picture if they change the C band card to a Ku band.

So if someone in Saudi Arabia were to get a Ku band card, looks like reception would be ok.

Can anyone confirm if a paired box would be required in Saudi or would it just be enough to change to a Ku band card

Many thanks

OOPS, bad news everyone.

I just got confirmation that multichoice will only be operating the SUB-SAHARA AFRICA KU BAND BEAM on W7

Apparently the W7 satellite has 5 beams, but DSTV have decided to use only one of these

Any more 'confirmed' news on this as I was going to get set up for it next week

but if the Super Sport will be cancelled end of may it's not worth it.

I only want to watch rugby and tennis so what options are there? :)

OOPS, bad news everyone.

I just got confirmation that multichoice will only be operating the SUB-SAHARA AFRICA KU BAND BEAM on W7

Apparently the W7 satellite has 5 beams, but DSTV have decided to use only one of these

I only want to watch rugby and tennis so what options are there? :)

check out Aus Network

they show the super 14 rugby (not all games and i guess the southern hemisphere internations)

not sure as to the tennis but if its northern hemi rugby is what yr after you might be out of luck

you need to apply for a free subscription card from them as the scramble the rugby, and get yr satellite installer to tune in the dish for you

OOPS, bad news everyone.

I only want to watch rugby and tennis so what options are there? :D

check out Aus Network

they show the super 14 rugby (not all games and i guess the southern hemisphere internations)

not sure as to the tennis but if its northern hemi rugby is what yr after you might be out of luck

you need to apply for a free subscription card from them as the scramble the rugby, and get yr satellite installer to tune in the dish for you

cheers Donny but I'd like the N hem stuff too, I know we're not at the same level yet (maybe) but it's like 'drinking at your local', you recognise the faces :)

Yeah i'm also keen on supersports, i want to see the f1 and gp2 sessions, but only super sport broadcast the practice sessions and the gp2.

does anyone know any other providers that offer motorsport like supersport do?