Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Ranked 24th In Customer Satisfaction Poll

webfact

Not much to add to the comprehensive comments above

My main issues are Immigration (time taken, impoliteness and the dog calling hand downward motion that in Thai culture represents a Superior beckoning his inferior)

Where did you get that idea? It is actually the correct and POLITE way to call someone over in Thailand.

Thai Etiquette:

Never wave your hands about in an attempt to make yourself understood, for such action will create confusion and often will be interpreted as anger. To get attention, beckon with the palm down, moving your fingers inward in a sweeping manner. Never call somebody using the index finger with the palm up. This insinuates that the person to whom you are beckoning is a dog. Pointing with a finger, while less offensive than pointing with a foot, is acceptable only for objects and not for people, even those of inferior rank.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much to add to the comprehensive comments above

My main issues are Immigration (time taken, impoliteness and the dog calling hand downward motion that in Thai culture represents a Superior beckoning his inferior)

Where did you get that idea? It is actually the correct and POLITE way to call someone over in Thailand.

Thai Etiquette:

Never wave your hands about in an attempt to make yourself understood, for such action will create confusion and often will be interpreted as anger. To get attention, beckon with the palm down, moving your fingers inward in a sweeping manner. Never call somebody using the index finger with the palm up. This insinuates that the person to whom you are beckoning is a dog. Pointing with a finger, while less offensive than pointing with a foot, is acceptable only for objects and not for people, even those of inferior rank.

Interesting - where did you get the Thai etiquette quote from?

Interesting - where did you get the Thai etiquette quote from?

I thought this was pretty basic stuff.. It goes for most of South East Asia as well as several other parts of the world..

Well... Links? Here is one:

Link 1

Snip:

..In gestures and postural movements, pointing with the finger is considered rude, and is only done when pointing to objects or animals, not human beings, with the polite and accepted manner for pointing to humans being the use of one's chin or the inclination of the head. To beckon or gain someone's attention politely the use of the arm, palm down, and making a scratching motion with fingers is most commonly used, whereas snapping one's fingers, hissing orconsidered rude, and is only done when pointing to objects or animals, not human beings, with the polite and accepted manner for pointing to humans being the use of one's chin or the inclination of the head. To beckon or gain someone's attention politely the use of the arm, palm down, and making a scratching motion with fingers is most commonly used, whereas snapping one's fingers, hissing or calling out would all be considered very rude (Axtell, 1998, pp. 206-207).

The Do's and Taboos of Body Language. by Roger E. Axtell

(This from: Enhancing Acquisition of Intercultural Nonverbal Competence)

Another one:

Link 2

....Hmong, Thai, Lao (Southeast Asian)

1. To beckon, one waves all fingers with the palm facing down....

(From :Raising Cultural Awareness - Cultural Accommodations)

Number 3

Link 3

..To get attention, beckon with the palm down, moving your fingers inward in a sweeping manner. Never call somebody using the index finger with the palm up. This insinuates that the person to whom you are beckoning is a dog. Pointing with a finger, while less offensive than pointing with a foot, is acceptable only for objects and not for people, even those of inferior rank.

From: HOW TO NEGOTIATE WITH THAI EXECUTIVES - Donald W. Hendon, Dillard University of Louisiana

It is also in all books and articles you can find out there on Thai etiquette / Do's and Dont's. I'm surprised how anyone can come to the conclusion that it means the OPPOSITE of what every available piece of information on the subject will tell you.

2pony13.jpg

I'll be the odd man out here.

I love the Poom! Love the food, plenty of things to do if you have a layover. The architecture is amazing and it's rather centrally located to the city. Notice I said, "rather centrally located" compared to other locales Ive been to.

Please arrive at the airport at least 4 hours prior to departure to give yourself enough time to make the hike from check-in to your gate. For a small additional fee, you will be provided with 2 sherpas to help you navigate King Power without getting arrested, and keep you from getting lost along the way.

Suvarnabhumi is an OK airport. There are far worse airports out there. (Dulles, JFK, Heathrow, Qatar (although I've actually seen stuff for sale at a good price that I actually wanted to buy at Qatar)

Their basic problem in the poll is that there are also far better airports (Hong Kong, Changi, Schiphol - that I've used, and apparently Incheon since it keeps winning.)

Why are there only the really up-market shops airside. (in Hong Kong, as well as the standard duty free perfume and drink shops, you have some regular shops. i.e. a branch of Muji, even a toy shop. Airside at Suvarnabhumi, you have to know where you're going - hint go down a level - just to buy a bottle of coke.

The distances you have to walk are ridiculous. It's an airport the size of Hong Kong's - yet Hong Kong has two trains to carry people who would have a long walk and Suvarnabhumi has none.

Add in the lack of free wifi. (although I did hear a rumour that there IS free wi-fi - if you queue at the information desk and ask for the password... ???). Seems so user unfriendly compared to Hong Kong where you turn on your computer and connect to it...

Edited by bkk_mike

The arrivals area just sucks. When trying to pickup someone I have no idea if they will be arriving from area B or C. It is almost impossible to move from one area to another.

Also from the 2nd and 3rd levels has anyone tried to go to the 1st level arrivals area from there? Most of the escalators are blocked off and the elevators don't arrive on that level. Took me like 30 minutes to find a way to get to the arrivals area from the 2nd and 3rd levels.

Edited by mdechgan