Keyboard Randomly Starts Typing Wrong Letters.

Mobi

This happens periodically, with no set pattern.sometimes I can type for hours with not problem, and then out of the blue the keyboard will suddenly start typing the wrong letters.

If I press any key, the wrong letter will come up, and the 'wrong letters' remain consistent. (e.g. maybe if I press the letter "L" the the letter "T" will come up every time.)

This first happened when I was typing in Microsoft Word, but when I switched to another programme like Open Office write, the keyboard worked Ok. Then on another occsaion it happened the other way round, corrupt in Open office and OK in Microsoft Office.

Then on another occasion I was sending IM's in Skype, and the keyboard went haywire, but in all other programmes and online sites it was behaving properly - only in Skype it was corrupted.

Then on other recent occasions, I have been typing online on web sites (e.g. Google, Thai Visa or my own blog) when the keyboard suddenly became corrupted, but in other programmes it was OK.

It doesn't happen that often, maybe once or twice a day, but when it does it is obviously very annoying.

The only way to fix it is to re-start the computer and then all is OK.

I have googled this problem, but all the suggested solutions relate to bad keyboards or bad software which has to be re-installed. In my case the Keyboard is fine, and the problem occurs randomly all over the place in different software programmes and also on line.

I am wondering if I have a virus.

Has anyone else had this problem, and any suggestions on how to fix it?

Mobi

Have you got any extra languages or keyboard layouts enabled? You might be hitting a toggle key that switches you into another one.

I have English -USA and UK, and Thai enabled, but the default language is English USA.

It can't be anything to do with this as I have checked the default language when the problem occurs, and in any case, as I wrote before, the keyboard only goes haywire when using it in one particular mode - in one word processing programme, but not both, or in some online activity, like Skype, but not everywhere online at the same time.

It is all totally random.

I had a similar but different problem with my laptop keyboard - it decided to activate the Windows key (the one with the Windows logo, between Fn and Alt keys) which has all kinds of strange consequences - and the only solution was a new keyboard, which my laptop manufacturer provided at no charge (Fujitsu), as the machine was still under guarantee.

I'd try a new keyboard if I were you.

Good luck and let us know, please.

Edited by heretostay

Most likely the cable on the keyboard that has gone bad due to excessive bending.

Swap out the keyboard and you should be fine. I suggest a NORTEK LYNEA (nortekonline.com).

160 Baht keyboard at Panthip and it is nearly as good as those old IBM keyboards (you know, the ones build like tanks).

Step one in computer "business" is ALWAYS to swap out the offending item. If the problem is solved (and it is 90% of the time), you don't have to waste any more time with it :)

The problem being 'glued' to one application only, meaning switching the application will 'fix' the problem and switching back brings back the problem, indeed indicates a software problem (bug, virus, whatever).

However, even then you should make absolutely sure that the problem is not a faulty keyboard, sometimes the randomness of the problem might fool you into thinking you can see a pattern where none is. Since it should be easy to replace the keyboard (or connect a USB keyboard on a laptop) I agree with the other posters to check this (just to make sure). It depends a bit on your analyzing skills (and experience) whether you can rely on your first assumption or not. :)

At the same time you could check for a virus or malware infection...

Do you have any antivirus product installed?

Hitman Pro is a very fast virus and malware scanner, and Malwarebytes is one of the best malware scanners. Eset offers a free online scanner. These are good solutions to get a 2nd opinion if you already have a antivirus product installed.

If not, you could also go with a full antivirus solution that includes a real-time shield/guard and other features. Try ESET NOD32 which offers a 60 day trial period. Avira is a very good free antivirus product (for non-commercial use). Of course there are many other good commercial products (Kaspersky, Norton, etc).

Hitman Pro Installer

Malwarebytes Installer

Eset NOD32 Free Online Scanner | Trial Version

Avira Antivirus Installer

I recommend working the list top down.

welo

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes Welo, the randomness of it made me think it isn't a faulty keyboard, especially as the kb is relatively new and I've used it long enough to know that it was alright before the problem started.

You are all correct, I will have to buy an new keyboard and check to see if the problem persists before investigating further.

I run Avira, Malwarebytes, Spybot and Adaware. Avira is especially good at picking up viruses. But you never know.

I'll try changing the keyboard and report back.

• 3 weeks later...

A few days ago I finally got round to buying a new keyboard.

At first I thought that it was indeed a faulty keyboard, but just when I thought my problem had been solved, it has started to play up again.

To recap, the keyboard suddenly goes haywire and types all the wrong letters. This can happen in any single application (Microsoft word, a web page, excel etc etc.) but only in one place at a time.

If I am typing on a web page (e.g. Thai Visa) and the keyboard goes haywire, it will still work OK in another application - say Microsoft word. On the next occasion it may be Microsoft word that goes haywire.

The only way to fix it is to close the application or the affected web browser. When I re-open it, all is OK.

So it's not the keyboard.

Any ideas??

Edited by Mobi

Check to be sure you don't have the Dvorak keyboard installed by mistake. Dvorak is an alternate layout for the US-English keyboard that some use to type faster (letters are in more logical places).

I once changed a mate's keyboard to Dvorak as a practical joke - drove him absolutely nuts :)

For XP:

Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Languages Tab -> Details button in top section; Then you should see if you have Dvorak instead of the standard.

If you see it there, remove it and make sure you have the US Standard keyboard installed - any program that's switching to Dvorak will no longer do this, as the layout is no longer installed.

Edited by Hobgoblin

A few days ago I finally got round to buying a new keyboard.
Check to be sure you don't have the Dvorak keyboard installed by mistake. Dvorak is an alternate layout for the US-English keyboard that some use to type faster (letters are in more logical places).

I once changed a mate's keyboard to Dvorak as a practical joke - drove him absolutely nuts :)

For XP:

Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Languages Tab -> Details button in top section; Then you should see if you have Dvorak instead of the standard.

If you see it there, remove it and make sure you have the US Standard keyboard installed - any program that's switching to Dvorak will no longer do this, as the layout is no longer installed.

If you read the whole thread, including what I have just posted you will see that I now have a new keyboard. That is why I am posting again, after a break while I went to get one.

No I do not have Dvorak keyboard installed. I know how to do that. The keyboard is set to US format.

Edited by Mobi

If I press the left hand Ctrl and Shift keys at the same time my letters change from "for example" to " urp .qamln."

Just press both again to revert to normal keyboard.

There may be other combinations of keystrokes that change letters, but this is the one that I often miskey on my keyboard.

I am sure there is a good explanation (is it Dvorak?) but FIIK.

If I press the left hand Ctrl and Shift keys at the same time my letters change from "for example" to " urp .qamln."

There may be other combinations of keystrokes that change letters, but this is the one that I often miskey on my keyboard.

I think you might have cracked it.

I just pressed cntrl and shift keys together and it changed the letters, as you said.

I then did it again, and it changed the letters again but, still wrong.

On the third mis-key the keys reverted back to the correct letters.

It looks like this is what I must have been doing. Very strange because I have been using a computer keyboard for many years and this year is is the first time it has happened. My typing habits must be getting more slipshod.

Once again, thank you so much for the tip. :)

I think you might have cracked it.

I just pressed cntrl and shift keys together and it changed the letters, as you said.

I then did it again, and it changed the letters again but, still wrong.

On the third mis-key the keys reverted back to the correct letters.

It looks like this is what I must have been doing. Very strange because I have been using a computer keyboard for many years and this year is is the first time it has happened. My typing habits must be getting more slipshod.

Once again, thank you so much for the tip. :)

I wonder how many keyboards have been thrown out because of this??? (not often I am ahead of the pack!)

I am curious what is going on here...

I wonder whether Hobgoblin might not be so wrong after all. Are you aware that there are 2 different kind of keyboard related settings: the input language and the keyboard layout. You can actually both install multiple input languages as well as multiple keyboard layouts per language (at least in Windows 7, can't remember what it's like in Vista/XP).

The reason why I bring that up again even though you ruled it out already is that CTRL-SHIFT is EXACTLY a common keyboard shortcut that is assigned to either changing language or keyboard. In the same dialog where one can change languages and keyboard layouts there is also a tab for keyboard shortcuts. There is also two different icons in the systray to display those changes AFAIK. Maybe you actually have the keyboard layout installed and the shortcut (automatically) assigned, but only the language icon is displayed, not the keyboard layout icon.

Sorry if I kept repeating what you already know, just wanted to make sure... As I said I'm just curious what the reason for that behavior. You'll never know if that information might be helpful in the future.

welo

I am curious what is going on here...

I wonder whether Hobgoblin might not be so wrong after all. Are you aware that there are 2 different kind of keyboard related settings: the input language and the keyboard layout. You can actually both install multiple input languages as well as multiple keyboard layouts per language (at least in Windows 7, can't remember what it's like in Vista/XP).

The reason why I bring that up again even though you ruled it out already is that CTRL-SHIFT is EXACTLY a common keyboard shortcut that is assigned to either changing language or keyboard. In the same dialog where one can change languages and keyboard layouts there is also a tab for keyboard shortcuts. There is also two different icons in the systray to display those changes AFAIK. Maybe you actually have the keyboard layout installed and the shortcut (automatically) assigned, but only the language icon is displayed, not the keyboard layout icon.

Sorry if I kept repeating what you already know, just wanted to make sure... As I said I'm just curious what the reason for that behavior. You'll never know if that information might be helpful in the future.

welo

To change from English to Thai my shortcut is ALT + Shift

To change from English to gobbledegook or irxxn.e.irrt (Dvorak???) is CTRL + Shift

(Windows XP)

To change from English to gobbledegook or irxxn.e.irrt (Dvorak???) is CTRL + Shift

(Windows XP)

Did you check the shortcuts from the Windows dialog or just from memory/experience? What I mean is did you check for sure that CTRL-SHIFT is not assigned to changing keyboard layouts.

This guy here actually has no shortcuts assigned and the layout is still changing, unfortunately he didn't find any solution...

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/414358.html

welo

(Windows XP)

Did you check the shortcuts from the Windows dialog or just from memory/experience? What I mean is did you check for sure that CTRL-SHIFT is not assigned to changing keyboard layouts.

This guy here actually has no shortcuts assigned and the layout is still changing, unfortunately he didn't find any solution...

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/414358.html

welo

Not exactly sure what you are asking.

I think I found the CTRL-SHIFT by trying all combinations to find out what I was mis-keying causing the keyboard switch-over.

Not exactly sure what you are asking.

Windows offers a dialog to configure settings and keyboard shortcuts related to switching input language and/or keyboard layout.

In Windows 7 the dialog looks like this:

post-73027-1268914442_thumb.jpg

I guess the Windows XP dialog is similar.

People in previous posts tried to explain how to access those settings to verify your configuration and maybe fix it (remove unused input languages, keyboard layouts, or change the shortcut to another combination)

welo

Try a different keyboard (new are 150 Baht) - likely to be dirt, crap (food) or bugs (attracted by food) on the key pad matrix under the keys, I used do strip my favored keyboards down to clean them. But less easy these days - a replaceable item.

Don't wish to be rude, or boring, but if you bothered to read the thread you would know that I have indeed bought a new key board and i still get the same problem, but when I press SHIFT/CTRL together twice the keyboard is OK again.

I now think that I am not causing the problem by sloppy key punching because it happens too often and I am sure I haven't hit the offending keys by mistake. And it never ever used go happen up to a couple of months ago.

But at least I know how to solve the problem, so it's much better now.

Please feel free to correct me - I have a cold, a lizard died when it saw me naked and beetle shat on me the other night.

Cntrl + Shift together is a control code for Firefox. There are web pages that detail such stuff.

There are layouts of keyboards that are not QWERTY standard - might you have one of these accidentally selected ?

Need to find food now - will return soonest.

Please feel free to correct me - I have a cold, a lizard died when it saw me naked and beetle shat on me the other night.

Cntrl + Shift together is a control code for Firefox. There are web pages that detail such stuff.

There are layouts of keyboards that are not QWERTY standard - might you have one of these accidentally selected ?

Need to find food now - will return soonest.

:)

But Cntrl + Shift (twice) is the cure - not the cause.

OK - I'm up to date now.

It's a memory corruption fault, (I have seen something similar to this before. Not sure why your quick and dirty fix-it works - but well done for finding it.)

If I recall I was on a laptop with limited RAM and cured the problem by more frequent reboots and affected a longer term cure by using less memory for system resources (I switched to less displayed colors on the display, to 16 bit from 24 bit I think), otherwise increase virutal RAM?

I guess you are on a Windows platform.

[To clarify not physically damaged RAM memory, but it's getting upset by being switched about when different applications are being used together on a system without enough memory.]

OK shoot me down by telling me you have a SS HDD with 4 GB of FTL-RAM.

Edited by Cuban

• 2 weeks later...

Impressive theory. A memory corruption fault causes the keyboard layout or some other very distinctive Windows setting to switch on its own. That would imply that the program code related to this setting is always loaded at the exactly same memory location that fails. I'd say nothing is impossible on Windows but my guess is that your therory is a bit unlikely. :)

And IF somebody has a faulty memory I would recommend to change the affected memory module rather than to minimize the memory usage of the system and hope that no data will be written to the faulty memory location.

My experience is that faulty memory is sometimes hard to diagnose, but often will give you a nice (and mostly random) system crash/blue screen.

Are you sure this theory didn't come up after a discussion with the lizard from the other night - oh well, I forgot he is dead already :D

peace,

welo

That would imply that the program code related to this setting is always loaded at the exactly same memory location that fails.
I am not suggesting that...
And IF somebody has a faulty memory I would recommend to change the affected memory module rather than to minimize the memory usage of the system and hope that no data will be written to the faulty memory location.
...I did say that I did not suspect a fault with the physical memory SIMM, but a corruption in the data stored within the memory. Could be due to another program poor control (sloppy coding or deliberate malware), I have experienced screwy typing that I isolated to a shortage of memory, PC RAM over stretched for the tasks it was doing/trying to do. That was probably Windows NT era.
My experience is that faulty memory is sometimes hard to diagnose, but often will give you a nice (and mostly random) system crash/blue screen.
Agreed. Re-seating SIM modules is a good first step when tackling the weird stuff. But if the 'Shift+Control' is a reliable cure I would expect that there would be some reference to that key combination somewhere on the internet, in this case finding out what the cure might lead to understanding what the problem is.

An interesting puzzle.