Ayutthaya Temples On Bikes!

ashacat

Hi,

I am driving up to Ayutthaya this weekend for a day trip, just to spend a few hours cycling around the town and temples etc...

I haven't been to Ayuthaya for about 10 years and cannot really remember the layout etc. Is there a historic park (like in Sukothai) that we can cycle around or are the temples spread out through the city on roads etc?

Am I able to park the car at the temple site and cycle off? We dont really want to cycle around busy raods in the town, rather we would like to cycle around the temples and quiet country lanes. Is this possible? if so where?

Many Thanks,

Hi 'ashacat',

Posted this in the Travel Forum yesterday:-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Temple-Tour-t341255.html post#21

Map below. Also lots of info and photos :-

http://www.ayutthaya-info.com/index.php?op...5&Itemid=34

Hope it helps you and others along the highways and byways.

Sawadee :)

I really wouldn't recommend cycling around Ayutthaya at the moment. It's 36C at its peak, which (for me at least) is not nice cycling weather. Better to hire a tuk-tuk or motorcycle. Note that the historical park is not car-free, and traffic can be a bit frantic at times.

There are plenty of temples on the central island that can easily be reached by bicycle. However, the more interesting temples, such as Wat Naphrameru, Wat Chai Watthanaram, Wat Yai Chai Mongkon and Wat Phananchoeng are off the island. You could probably do an interesting tour of just these temples by taking the roads off the island - this is much more of a country lane-type setting than the roads on the island.

Yes, you can park at most of the temples and leave your car. Wat Phananchoeng has a particularly large car park.