Some Long Distance Calling Options

Nio

Using a Nokia E63 with WIFI and full QWARTY keyboard, you can visit the nokia ovi store, www.ovi.com and download a free program called Nimbuzz (there are others such as fring.com)

With the wife traveling around the world, we are able to communicate free in any wifi hotspot using Skype on Nimbuzz and also MSN on Nimbuzz

How it works is Nimbuzz runs in the background of your Nokia E63, always showing when your Skype or MSN contacts are on line.

With both of us in a wifi hotspot, or at home in Bangkok or Dubai with the home wifi's on, we can call each other on Skype visa Nimbuzz free for hours and the calls are very clear

Using the Nokia E63 Nimbuzz Skype, you can also call to home PC's set up with Skype (Example can call our son on his IMAC PC which he leaves on all the time. He uses the IMAC's built in microphone)

Nimbuzz also offers VOIP where you deposit, US $10, $20 or $40 at a time to your account. Calls are 2 cents per minute to the US from Bangkok, from my E63 to my mothers home phone in New Hampshire. You can get cheap rates to just about anywhere and the call clarity is very clear

The third backup is AIS unlimited GPRS at 999 thb a month if you have a need to always be able to access Nimbuzz Skype or MSN outside of any wifi hotspots. This way you can always connect to Nimbuzz and use the Skype calls to anywhere in the world 24 hours a day from anywhere you have a mobile signal

Nokia E63 has super batterly life and never an issue to leave Nimbuzz always running in the background

Any Nimbuzz Skype calls will ring your mobile just like a normal call

Using Nimbuzz, the E63 will show individual tabs allowing you to carry on more than one text chat on MSN and Skype at the same time while you are on a voice call with someone else. Most I have tried so far is 5 at one time and worked very easy

E63 can do all your company email, sync calendar and outlook as well

Current E63 price from 6900 to 7500 THB

E63 QWARTY keyboard makes typing fast very easy (maybe if you have giant fingers it wouldn't be so easy)

I think being able to use wifi free and Nimbuzz Skype calls free anywhere in the world make it definitely worth checking out

No need to be lonely anymore, get all your friends and family on skype then stay up all night calling them free from your wifi

Nimbuzz has a built in calculator that lets you see how much per minute the call will be using VOIP to anywhere in the world before you dial

Edited by Nio

Is this an ad? by the way, what's a QWARTY keyboard?

No this is not an ad

This forum is getting filled with people that have nothing better to do than slam anyone that tries to help out with any advice, you included

I just started using this and there are many people here on this forum needing to keep in touch with family and friends that are scattered all over the world

A 22 minute call to USA from Bangkok was crystal clear on my Nokia E63 total cost US $0.44 cents

If you dont know QWARTY look it up, that is what google is for

UK to Thailand mobile calls 1 cent a minute

I am with you on this one Kilgore, I have not got a clue what a qwarty is and Nio sounds a little bit too obsessed by his Nokia E63.

Its nice to pass on knowledge but there are thousands of handsets to choose from so why this one??????

Qwerty being a full keyboard like Blackberry as so you can type faster (Sorry for the typo before, it was 3:00 AM) if you use MSN or Skype Chat (text)

Nokia E63 because it has a full keyboard, easy to type on and is wifi and is 5,000 thb cheaper than Blackberry and already proven with Nimbuzz and fring

Many of the other phones with the full keyboards are not wifi; but any wifi phone will work

The idea is if you both have an internet wifi connection at home, you can connect your mobile to the internet wifi, open up nimbuzz or fring program on your phone, to make VOICE calls over Skype free

Nimbuzz, after testing both, is much faster than fring.com

Instead of sitting there at a pc with a headphone and mic, you can use your mobile phone same as a regular call except it is free if the other person has the same ability or you can call another person on Skype that is using a PC with a microphone

With unlimited AIS GPRS, I can connect my mobile anywhere, anytime, open up the Nimbuzz program on my Nokia E63 and call make a Skype Voice Call anywhere in the world

post-91890-1267066087_thumb.jpg

Qwerty being a full keyboard like Blackberry as so you can type faster (Sorry for the typo before, it was 3:00 AM) if you use MSN or Skype Chat (text)

Nokia E63 because it has a full keyboard, easy to type on and is wifi and is 5,000 thb cheaper than Blackberry and already proven with Nimbuzz and fring

Many of the other phones with the full keyboards are not wifi; but any wifi phone will work

The idea is if you both have an internet wifi connection at home, you can connect your mobile to the internet wifi, open up nimbuzz or fring program on your phone, to make VOICE calls over Skype free

Nimbuzz, after testing both, is much faster than fring.com

Instead of sitting there at a pc with a headphone and mic, you can use your mobile phone same as a regular call except it is free if the other person has the same ability or you can call another person on Skype that is using a PC with a microphone

With unlimited AIS GPRS, I can connect my mobile anywhere, anytime, open up the Nimbuzz program on my Nokia E63 and call make a Skype Voice Call anywhere in the world

Thank you this is defenitely a good thing, just out of curiosity how much would be ais gprs in BKK not worldwide.

I use a Nokia E71 and Nimbuzz works great when making calls over a wifi network. No problems at all. Conversation is crystal clear.

I have tried using the GPRS data package from DTAC to make skype calls overseas and it doesnt work well. The person I calling complains of lag and also the conversation dropping and then coming back. If it worked well over GPRS that would be perfect as my folks in the UK use a skype phone as well.

I use a Nokia E71 and Nimbuzz works great when making calls over a wifi network. No problems at all. Conversation is crystal clear.

I have tried using the GPRS data package from DTAC to make skype calls overseas and it doesnt work well. The person I calling complains of lag and also the conversation dropping and then coming back. If it worked well over GPRS that would be perfect as my folks in the UK use a skype phone as well.

Thanks that is the kind of information id like to know before i buy something. Too bad it sounded like the ideal solution for calling cheap.

Skype over GPRS is not really usable, forget about that option.

Otherwise Skype can be recommended if you have a fast internet connection. Better quality than normal phone and very cheap too.

'

I use skype a lot here at home with my fast internet, but if a phone with gprs would do the same i would be able to use it outside of my home and that would have been great. Thanks for warning against it. I know i could make the phone accept my wi fi but in the house i prefer a headset instead of a phone especially when working behind the computer.

A 22 minute call to USA from Bangkok was crystal clear on my Nokia E63 total cost US $0.44 cents

If you dont know QWARTY look it up, that is what google is for

That's not really a good deal. Just use deedial with free ringback on any mobile phone. No expensive Nokia necessary, don't need internet, and it's guaranteed toll quality. At 70 satang per minute to the states including the free ringback leg, it's basically the same price without any of the hassles of your solution.

There are reasons to use skype, but low cost usually isn't one of them. There are usually many less expensive solutions if you look for them.

BTW, if you would spell "QWERTY" correctly, it might be possible for someone to understand what you meant. And making condescending remarks to tell someone to look it up isn't really appropriate behaviour, especially when the fault was yours. For those of you who don't know, QWERTY comes from the first 6 letters of a standard keyboard along the top left. It just means a normal keyboard layout.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a Nimbuzz ad but I think its not. Also I think he meant QWERTY keyboard.

BTW, I use Fring on my mobile phone so I can make voip calls thru my voip service provider. Nimbuzz is like Fring but Fring was the first in the market. I tried Nimbuzz but I can not get it to work. Went to their forum but can not find help and already submitted a ticket to their support to no avail. I guess they need to iron out some things first and improve their support (took 1 week to answer my inquiry)