Are Toyotas Made In Thialand Inferior To The Us Made?

tangcoral

Maybe its a personal experience, but I do find the toyota made in thailand seem to be inferior to the ones made in US.

Most of the parts in toyota's here are of thailand parts, dont know if this has any affect.

The car just doesnt seem to last as long as the ones in the US. I just feel the quality just isnt there.

I am sure this goes for honda's and others as well.

On a side note, my original battery only lasted 2 years. Maybe an isolated case, and probably not fair to say since the battery are not toyota brand. Seems like many of the parts used are not original toyota parts but parts subcontracted to other parts manufaturer here in thailand.

I maybe wrong but seems like the the US made toyotas use more Japanese parts.

My theory in why the quality seems inferior to those built in the US.

I am no expert so please go easy.

Edited by tangcoral

From what I see of the Toyota in Thailand, they are nowhere near the 'spec' of western models.

I have a year 2000 Avensis, 5 door hatchback. There has not one single thing gone wrong with it, (touch wood). :)

Edited by TEFLMike

I would say the same about Hondas as well. Higher cost than the UK, but less safety features. Probably cheaper parts as well.

My battery lasted 18 months but that is normal over here.

I would imagine less safety feature only because the less stringent rules on safety compared to the western states.

However the overall quality is low, sadly the car almost cost 30% more.

New prices in Thailand much lower due to the lower Spec. I cannot comment on Build Quality You do however get much more for them second hand.

2 to 3 years old Half new price in UK. Thailand expect to pay 80% of New price. Does not make a lot of sense to buy second hand ( Unless you are Poor )

then you have to look at a 10 year old car to get anything for Half the new price.

I would say the same about Hondas as well. Higher cost than the UK, but less safety features. Probably cheaper parts as well.

My battery lasted 18 months but that is normal over here.

I would imagine less safety feature only because the less stringent rules on safety compared to the western states.

However the overall quality is low, sadly the car almost cost 30% more.

question.

so the cars made for export to western countries are made to a higher standard?

eg Honda Thailand assembles the Accord and exports them to many countries in the Asia Pacific incl NZ and Australia

Thaiyota's indeed cannot be exprorted to Europe because on a qualitytest they fail on 3 out of 5 points.

Friends from Europe bought a new Vigo and got rid of the trouble car after a year, chassis, tracking etc. where of very inferior quality.

Why you think buying a new car without making a testdrive first is more or less 'normal' here ? Because Thais only look at the outside.

(wonder if that is the reason of the rediculous prices of second hands, a car you buy in Europe for 1,900 euro easy cost 12,000 euro here)

Thaiyota's indeed cannot be exprorted to Europe because on a qualitytest they fail on 3 out of 5 points.

Friends from Europe bought a new Vigo and got rid of the trouble car after a year, chassis, tracking etc. where of very inferior quality.

Why you think buying a new car without making a testdrive first is more or less 'normal' here ? Because Thais only look at the outside.

(wonder if that is the reason of the rediculous prices of second hands, a car you buy in Europe for 1,900 euro easy cost 12,000 euro here)

Vigo in Europe is made in South Africa. According to Toyota, quality is better on Vigo made in LOS.

I do see a difference...some models, but not all, seem to be of lower quality. But the biggest drawback is not having the same models available over here. Toyota's Avalon, Nissan's Altima, etc. These are some really great cars and they are just not available here. I have an Avalon back in the US and it is an amazing car.

My experience is a very high quality product in Thailand. My Fortuner has been perfect, not a single problem. Still runs and looks like new after three years. I'm driving a new Toyota in the US at the moment (NOT a rental) and it's not too impressive, rattles and squeaks from every corner and it rides like a ten year old truck.

I wonder about these battery problems. Are they real or did you just fall for the dealership flogging you a new one. They've tried that on me and get pissed off when I say no (especially at dealership prices) and the battery is as good as new even after standing for a while when I'm out of the country (sometimes two months). It is a nice little earner for the dealer. Beware of their "only 60% capacity" claims.

car batteries here do die an early death. From the UK, I am used to car batteries lasting pretty much for ever. Here 2 years is pretty good. And even on a new car, you still have to keep an eye on the level to get the best life span out of it. Good news is you can trade your old battery when you buy a new one.

Ps. Don't think Toyota make batteries. GS seem to be the common brand I see at the Auto shops.

car batteries here do die an early death. From the UK, I am used to car batteries lasting pretty much for ever. Here 2 years is pretty good. And even on a new car, you still have to keep an eye on the level to get the best life span out of it. Good news is you can trade your old battery when you buy a new one.

Ps. Don't think Toyota make batteries. GS seem to be the common brand I see at the Auto shops.

Toyota does not make batteries

Actually the US are not really know to produce high quality Cars. Remember Mercedes building the M-Class in the States and export them from there. They needed a lot of time to get the Quality up where they wanted it. US Makes are still mostly not up to what we are used to get from the Japanese Makes and from some European Countrys. But yes the Cars are much cheaper in the US then in the most other countrys around the world.

Just to put in that reputable international companies (like Toyota) will have the same quality standards and controls no matter where the location of manufacture.

RE batteries: I think they don't last as long as they should b/c of the increased demand from the security systems most cars have these days. I finally disconnected the security on my 10 y old CRV (after having to get a new one at MOST every two years) and now going on 3 - knock knock.

Just to put in that reputable international companies (like Toyota) will have the same quality standards and controls no matter where the location of manufacture.

RE batteries: I think they don't last as long as they should b/c of the increased demand from the security systems most cars have these days. I finally disconnected the security on my 10 y old CRV (after having to get a new one at MOST every two years) and now going on 3 - knock knock.

Actually, they are better in the US and other places. I was amazed they sell calls here without air bags, ABS, etc. So no, they are not of the same standards as in the US. Cars from elsewhere are frequently turned down for import due to lacking safety standards....

Actually, they are better in the US and other places. I was amazed they sell calls here without air bags, ABS, etc. So no, they are not of the same standards as in the US. Cars from elsewhere are frequently turned down for import due to lacking safety standards....

and I am amazed they sell Camrys in the US without power leatherseats, even without seat cooling, and use a key to start engine. such low spec Camrys are not for sale in LOS :)

and I am amazed they sell Camrys in the US without power leatherseats, even without seat cooling, and use a key to start engine. such low spec Camrys are not for sale in LOS :)

That's because the Camry is not a top of the line car...the Avalon is...and it is amazing....no comparison to a Camry...has all the options you mention above and more (like radar cruise control, automatic wipers, etc.).

That's because the Camry is not a top of the line car...the Avalon is...and it is amazing....no comparison to a Camry...has all the options you mention above and more (like radar cruise control, automatic wipers, etc.).

camry 3,5 of course has radar cruise control and automatic vipers standard here too.

different merkets, different specs.

when I worked for a high end car maker, one model had 7 different windshieldwasherfluid container, pending on which market it was for

toyota sells some cars here without ABS and airbags, cause thats what the market wants

on the other hand a Camry would not be possible to sell here without the gizzmos I have mentioned, but sells in the US rather stripped

ive heard battery life is poor in LOS due to the excessive heat we have

No it is more like you get what you pay for..

Eg: when I had the Honda Jazz the battery lasted 14 months each time, No 3 just befor I sold it cost 970 baht fitted at Honda..

Last month changed the battery on my Audi A6, it was 5yrs 4 months old... The new battery [high grade] cost 2,900 baht.

question.

so the cars made for export to western countries are made to a higher standard?

eg Honda Thailand assembles the Accord and exports them to many countries in the Asia Pacific incl NZ and Australia

Going back many years, The Rover 2000 and the Triumph 2000 range were a lot different, The 'export' models were of a much better quality + loads of extras as standard.

As to present day, there a a couple of places here with websites, exporting Pickups to the UK, looking at the list there appear to be lots more on them than the one sold for the Thai market.

toyota sells some cars here without ABS and airbags, cause thats what the market wants

on the other hand a Camry would not be possible to sell here without the gizzmos I have mentioned, but sells in the US rather stripped

I think you should look at the Toyota USA website. If you get the XLE, you get all the gizzmos. Unfortunately, buying a car in the US is completely different. There are many, many things that are "options". Where as here in Thailand, they are usually part of the package. The top of the line Camry in the US is about the same as here in Thailand.

I don't believe they have radar controlled cruise control. Where it automatically picks up a car in front of you and applies the brakes? And when you are clear, it will resume the speed...automatically...and you can adjust the distance...so it will automatically follow a car in front of you even as it speeds up and slows down. Pretty cool...

I don't believe they have radar controlled cruise control. Where it automatically picks up a car in front of you and applies the brakes? And when you are clear, it will resume the speed...automatically...and you can adjust the distance...so it will automatically follow a car in front of you even as it speeds up and slows down. Pretty cool...

took Toyota a couple of months to have the radar for cruise approved from some radio government, but yes they do come with it here. radar sensor positioned in top of windscreen, same place wiper sensor and gps areal.

took Toyota a couple of months to have the radar for cruise approved from some radio government, but yes they do come with it here. radar sensor positioned in top of windscreen, same place wiper sensor and gps areal.

wow...amazing. I think the one on the Avalon is on the bottom part of the front end...down near the fog lamps?

Hard to use cruise control here at all, much less the radar one. I actually don't use it that much. I find it "catches" the car in front too early...and if you set the sensor to closer, then it is too late. And when it brakes, it REALLY brakes...and when it speeds up, it REALLY speeds up. Not very comfortable to use. So, have only used it a few times to impress friends! :)

I am just about to purchase a new car. Leaning towards the Corolla, but also looking at the City.

P.S. Love your handle!!

Edited by craigt3365

I have the Camry 2.4 V with all the goodies.

I use the cruise control sometimes at Phuket and i like it especially at nights when there is almost nobody at the roads.

This is my second Camry and i love it.

I had my first one for 3 years and not a single problem.

I have my current Camry now for a year and also very happy.

My wife had the Soluna for 8 years without any problem.

So i don't think that the quality is less then in the US or Europe.

wow...amazing. I think the one on the Avalon is on the bottom part of the front end...down near the fog lamps?

Hard to use cruise control here at all, much less the radar one. I actually don't use it that much. I find it "catches" the car in front too early...and if you set the sensor to closer, then it is too late. And when it brakes, it REALLY brakes...and when it speeds up, it REALLY speeds up. Not very comfortable to use. So, have only used it a few times to impress friends! :)

I am just about to purchase a new car. Leaning towards the Corolla, but also looking at the City.

P.S. Love your handle!!

Had cruise in my 2007 Camry 2,4, have it in my present 2008 Accord 2,4 and 2010 Vigo. Use it frequently on highway, I d say 70% of the time. Cruising faster than 140, usually 160, needs some hard braking and accelerating on occasions