Thai State Railway train derails in Songkhla, 20 injured

webfact

Yala-Nakhon Si Thammarat Train Derailed, 20 Injured

SONGKHLA: -- A Yala-Nakhon Si Thammarat train derailed and overturned, resulting in 20 injuries.

Train services to and from the 3 southernmost provinces have been suspended.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-02-25

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Thai State Railway train derails in Songkhla, 20 injured

gallery_327_1086_3250.jpg

SONGKHLA: -- (TNA) – Twenty people were injured Thursday morning in a train derailment in Thailand's southern province of Songkhla.

A Yala-Nakhon Si Thammarat train derailed near Hat Yai rail junction. The engine and a carriage separated from the other carriages and overturned.

Of 20 injured passengers, five, including a pregnant woman, are seriously injured.

The cause of the accident is under investigation. The accident scene is a curve where accidents have occurred in the past.

The railway accident in Songkhla is the state railways second derailment this week, following the derailment of a Bangkok-Hat Yai freight train in Phattalung on Tuesday when four carriages left the tracks. No one was injured in the accident.

The initial investigation presumed that the sleepers or ties supporting the tracks were old and failed to support the train. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-02-25

How many does that make now for the past six months? I think that across Thailand there have been at least 5 that I can think of. I know that the rails are old, but I think there has also been a drop in maintenance since the union problems started with the SRT six months ago.

In an ideal world, they would use the land that they have the tracks on to create an elevated, high speed train system, but I don't think it will happen.

Thankfully no one was killed this time, I hope all the injured people recover quickly.

was last happend on April 1st 2006, when a train with some Visarunners derailed in PHUKET full TV story can be found HERE :D

I remember some weeks or days ago when Thai Rail renovated some wagons, new colour etc.pp. Unfortunately I cant find the pic anymore or I am too lazy to search for it. I wrote that it should be better to renovate the rails FIRST.

Another, in monthly intervals, returning disturbing news anyway :)

hope all the VICTIMS of Thairail will recover soon

One reason given recently, for the late-opening of the airport-link in Bangkok, was that the necessary safety-certificate had not yet been issued ? It seems a pity that the SRT-system continues to operate, when it is plainly not safe, as shown by the frequent accidents. :)

And they're trying to link up various rail-networks in S.E.Asia, so that trains can run from southern-China via Vietnam & Cambodia, then over these Thai tracks to Malaysia & Singapore ? Oh Dear ! :D

Perhaps the SRT needs a new 'Fat Controller', with a proper budget for track-maintenance and renewal of motive-power, not just repainting a few carriages ! :D

And they're trying to link up various rail-networks in S.E.Asia, so that trains can run from southern-China via Vietnam & Cambodia, then over these Thai tracks to Malaysia & Singapore ? Oh Dear ! :D

so may be IF the seize all the money of Mr. T there is finally enough to renovate the whole system.....so the money should do something good to every Thai finally :)

wonder what they are planning to do with that money anyway....ANY IDEAS?

One reason given recently, for the late-opening of the airport-link in Bangkok, was that the necessary safety-certificate had not yet been issued ? It seems a pity that the SRT-system continues to operate, when it is plainly not safe, as shown by the frequent accidents. :D

Perhaps the SRT needs a new 'Fat Controller', with a proper budget for track-maintenance and renewal of motive-power, not just repainting a few carriages ! :D

Cambodia???  Woot, everyone hoping onto the bamboo train at the border?  Last time I checked there was no railway operating in Cambodia.  :)

How many does that make now for the past six months? I think that across Thailand there have been at least 5 that I can think of. I know that the rails are old, but I think there has also been a drop in maintenance since the union problems started with the SRT six months ago.

In an ideal world, they would use the land that they have the tracks on to create an elevated, high speed train system, but I don't think it will happen.

Thankfully no one was killed this time, I hope all the injured people recover quickly.

Elevated, high speed train just means you fall further,faster when you derail. :)

so may be IF the seize all the money of Mr. T there is finally enough to renovate the whole system.....so the money should do something good to every Thai finally :)

wonder what they are planning to do with that money anyway....ANY IDEAS?

Probably they'll use it to keep the yellow shirt organisers of the Suvarnabhumi sit-in out of jail. :D

Thailand needs a modern, safe, efficient, rail network far more than it ever needs any of the "toys" the armed forces are forever getting. Hope these folks recover from their injuries.

This is getting to be far, far too frequent. I used to really enjoy taking the train.

:) C'mon get this Sophhon misfit out of there. Another example of an under educated and a political appointee filling a Ministerial position with no railway experience and what should be a cash cow, seeing it is a monoply but with no accountability !

I seem to recall that the carriages with the greatest risk of derailment are the first 2 or 3 and the last one. All the people travelling to Butterworth are usually in the first two passenger carriages. In front of this is the cargo/srt staff carriage and then the engine at the front. Further back from the 2 Butterworth headed cars is the part of the train that travels onto yala (or one of the three southern most thai states).

From recall it seems to be that the accidents happen between had yai and yala, not so much on the bkk to butterworth route, unless there has been particularly bad weather.

Best to be about 2 or 3 carriages from the back of the train for the lowest risk.

Fortunately Thai trains don't travel too fast, so that should limit the number of carriages that derail and overturn.

I have been on a butterworth to bkk train when the train collided with a very expensive mercedes on a crossing, just outside of had yai. No problem with the train. Lots of people got out to look at the car, then after about 30 mins all back on the train and off to had yai.

Yes, because elevation is much too expensive. A normal two-railway electrified "normal" (1435mm gauge) with new cars and bogies would be more than enough (and would IMHO solve many of Thailands economical and environmental problems). The idea of a High-Speed-Train system (200+km/h) all over Thailand like in Europe, China or Japan is building castles in the sky, they should focus on reaching a (safe) maximum speed of 120-140km/h and an average of about 100km/h.

Train services to deep South resume after Thursday derailment in Songkhla

SONGKHLA: -- Rail services bound for Thailand's three southernmost provinces on Friday have resumed after railway workers recovered derailed train near Hat Yai rail junction.

The first local train of the day from at Hat Yai Junction to Sungai Kolok departed at 6.30am while a long-haul express train from Bangkok to Sungai Kolok departed Hualampong at 7am.

Reportedly passengers have thronged to Hat Yai station after one-day service suspension amid tight security.

State Railway of Thailand (SRT) southern region director Tanongsak Pongprasert said that though full rail operations have resumed, but drivers must slow down for safety when passing the accident spot.

The cost of damages from Thursday’s incident has not been assessed, he added.

The Yala-Nakhon Si Thammarat derailed in Songkhla on Thursday, injuring 21 people, including 12 passengers, six defense volunteers and three railway workers. All were reported safe.

This railway derailment is the second accident this week, following the Tuesday’s derailment of a Bangkok-Hat Yai freight train in Phattalung when four carriages left the tracks. No one was injured in the accident.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-02-26

I don't know where you go on a bus that averages 80 kph, but it would have to travel close to double that to average that speed. Remember the average speed would be calculated including the times that the bus stops--stop lights, traffic as well as the odd toilet break and eating break. Trains usually travel slower, but it's constant travel. Unless your on one of those that stops in every poo-dunk village along the way.

If there was ever a state run enterprise that desperately needed money its the SRT.

Might I suggest a replacement of "money" with "management" or even "a cleanup of corruption?"

The problems are simply characteristic of a government entity that has a monopoly and no accountability. Kinda like most state-run enterprises in the old Soviet Union (and remember Aeroflot's dismal record back then?)

Buses on long distance routes out of Bangkok seem to average about 80 kph, so I doubt that a system that only does 100kph would attract enough custom off the roads

Actual train system average about 50-60 kph, so 100 would be nearly double and a real gain. As for comparison with overland-buses I think that everybody feels more comfortable and safe in a (MODERN!) train.

But I agree that in downtown Bangkok railway may must be elevated because of the traffic and the imponderabilities in high-density city areas. I could cry every time when it takes more than one hour to get away from HuaLampong/out of Bangkok one a long-distance train crawling trough the suburbs.