Thailand On Edge As Court Rules On Thaksin Billions

webfact

Timeline update:

Thaksin was the only one empowered to authorize transfers concerning Ample Rich brokerage account in Singapore, the court says

--The Nation

This a strange ruling. How can a Thai court make any ruling regarding a brokerage account in another country? They should have stated the suspected that he was the only one.

Have you managed to grasp those straws yet.

Such a ruling would be very easy to deny and prove incorrect.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Update:

Court believes Thaksin and Pojaman concealed their shares of Shin Corp in other people's names

-- TAN Network

Is "believes" enough? Isnt a court suppost to conclude based on "Evidence".

The court wouldn't have a belief unless it was based on evidence.

Love this comment from the Nation.
tulsathit

1. To add insult to injury, my colleagues are set for KFC party nearby. (don't get me wrong.They're working hard on other aspects of coverage) 3 minutes ago via web

2. Just a personal rant, this is gruelling. But when it's all over, my short attention span syndrome may be cured.

I need KFC too :)

Have some TLC instead George, you're doing a sterling job.

Update:

Court believes Thaksin and Pojaman concealed their shares of Shin Corp in other people's names

-- TAN Network

They were sure about control of the brokerage account in another country (Singapore). I would have thought that would have been a more appropriate ruling from a Singapore judge not a Thai judge. What's going on here? Where's the part of apply the facts to the law part of justice?

tulsathit

1. To add insult to injury, my colleagues are set for KFC party nearby. (don't get me wrong.They're working hard on other aspects of coverage) 3 minutes ago via web

has to be the quote of the day in all this imo :)

tulsathit

2. Just a personal rant, this is gruelling. But when it's all over, my short attention span syndrome may be cured.

Why should we get you wrong? We've been reading every word you're tweeting. That tells us enough.

I think you're reading from a different page. The 'tweeters' have it right, no?

Update:

-- TAN Network

They were sure about control of the brokerage account in another country (Singapore). I would have thought that would have been a more appropriate ruling from a Singapore judge not a Thai judge. What's going on here? Where's the part of apply the facts to the law part of justice?

I guess you know exactly all the evidence available to the court. Without examining the case in full as the judges have it is difficult to say they are wrong.

Update:

-- TAN Network

Boys .... you are reading an 'on the fly' translation of Thai into English. Thaksin had control of Ample Rich/Sg. Court uninanimously rules that Thaksin and Pojaman concealed their shares in other people's names-- would be just as accurate of a translation.

Hardly an appropriate comment from a "news" organization!

But at least it makes him seem more human than the run of the mill journos especially the propaganda heads of yellow and red TV

Tulsie is entertaining us. Relax

i agree, thumbs up, at least we are in the loop, the poor guys doin OT and is in need of KFC as well

It is an 'on the fly' twitter update ..

I know some folks are upset that this APPEARS to be going against Thaksin but the judgement on keeping the money has yet to be handed down.

Perhaps you failed to miss the point. I have never heard of a judge issing a ruling about a law in another country. They have no right to do that. They are perfectly free to make some assumption based on Thai law. Second point: Judicial process is to hear the facts and apply the facts to appropriate laws to reach a decision.

Perhaps now you can understand?

And how do you know they arent looking at facts? It seems you are frustrated by the verdict but lack any evidence with which to critiicse it which illegal anyway in Thailand if you are here.

By the way court decisons go on every day where evidence is from another country or even where crimes were committed in a foreign country. It just depends on what the local law says. I doubt the issued court decison will be about a law in another country but about control of an account used to move funds/assets around

Update:

The court rules that the cases of AIS and TAC, both of whom requested decrease of benefit-sharing payment to govt, were different. (which means AIS couldn't cite TAC case to demand decrease of benefit-sharing payment)

-- The Nation

By an unanimous decision, the Supreme Court ruled that the prosecution against former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatrat is unclear on the extent of unusual wealth and how it is linked to abuse of office.

The Nation

LaoPo

score one for Thaksin's camp....

Opening the door for an all round face saving compromise perhaps?

Aaah, is this all because ye'r man's going down? Reporters are human too you know.

Yeah too right !

As for Tulsi give the guy a break. You try doing what he's doing having to fit everything into 140 character grabs!!

Besides this is on Twitter not the Nation itself !!

Aaah, is this all because ye'r man's going down? Reporters are human too you know.

Yeah too right !

As for Tulsi give the guy a break. You try doing what he's doing having to fit everything into 140 character grabs!!

Tulsie is doing great. Best and most human commentary in English available today with humour too.

Yeah too right !

Agreed, Tulsie is going a great job. For those who don't understand Thai, you can't find a better up to the minute translation anywhere.

Every single voter has to at some point take responsibility for this mess. And it is a mess. What I do not understand is why people would riot?? - now.

A democratically elected leader has been deposed...then convicted of crimes ,,,fled the country in fear of his life(etc). Fourtunes wre seized, fingers pointed, "democrats" were 'appointed' and everyone is supposedly being held accountable...including ex wife who is either part of this or not and children etc etc.

The court will rule.....thats the law of the land...agree or not we all ahve to accept this or this will never move on.....

Anyone who wants to think that they have been done by the "democratic process" surely must swallow their personal views, accept the ruling and for fks sake move on.

Thats a nice thought, Dillon. But hopefully you don't need me to point out that that is not how Thailand has worked since at least as far back as the 1930's *removed reference to The Monarchy*. :)

And the murdered victims of his drug wars and the suffocated bodies piled in trucks in his war on the south don't deserve any justice...of course that's not what Taskin is accused of here, but it sounds like karma to me :D

Update:

This seems to be gearing toward a ruling that AIS's prepaid request was not justified. The court also mentions that AIS used pre-paid scheme in an earlier promotion campaign and even extended the campaign. If prepaid scheme was costing money and being financial burden, why did AIS prolong the promotional campaign? the court says.

-- The Nation