Work Permit. Basic Questions

Hello,

I have been accepted by a big company's small Thai-organization. My work can only be done by a foreigner. 

As their organization in Thailand is small, my future boss asked me to find information on how to get a work permit. I have googled it and I found some lists stating what you need, but not much on what your employer need to do.

Who writes the job-description? Me or my employer? Also is there a work permit form you need to fill out?

I have a non-immigrant visa (student) expiring in May(will get one more year then from my University) is it ok to use when applying for WP?

Edit: My passport expires oct this year. And the work permit will be for only 3 or 6 months.

/ Happinesss

Edited by Happinesss

The job description is written by the employer, and important as it needs to show that there is no Thai that can perform those duties.

Yes, there are also some forms from the labour office that need to be filled out, have someone pick them up and ask questions about the process and paperwork they need to show. Labour office and immigration both have their own requirements.

There is no problem applying while on an ED-visa. They will give you a WP3 receipt, which you need to get a non-B visa in a (neighbouring) country. When you have the non-B visa you cna pick up your work permit.

You can study on any kind of visa, but on and ED-visa you are not allowed to work. So you have to get a non-B and than you will have no problem working and studying at the same time.

But there are minimum requirements for your salary if you want an extension of stay based on your work. The minimum requirement depends on your nationality and is for most western countries 50,000 a month. If you earn less, you can get a work permit, but not an extension of stay. You would need to get a multiple entry non-B and leave the country every 90 days.

You can study on any kind of visa, but on and ED-visa you are not allowed to work. So you have to get a non-B and than you will have no problem working and studying at the same time.

But there are minimum requirements for your salary if you want an extension of stay based on your work. The minimum requirement depends on your nationality and is for most western countries 50,000 a month. If you earn less, you can get a work permit, but not an extension of stay. You would need to get a multiple entry non-B and leave the country every 90 days.

My boss suggested I got paid by the hour since this is for a project (further employment is likley but not certain) that ends in May. Is there any minimum hourly wage? 

I could maybe set my salary to min 50,000 but still count the hours and get paid for the exceeding hours (if they exist).

You will get a non-B visa, which allows you to stay for 90 days. During those 90 days you don't need to go to immigration and it will see you through your employment. Only if they will extend your employment will you need to face immigration for an extension of stay, so face that problem than.

Immigration doesn't have a minumum hourly salary. Just a minimum income. A guaranteed minimum income of 50,000 a month should do the trick.

Forms from labour can be found here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a95843-.html

You really should be getting a new passport as with less than six months they are almost useless for travel except to your home country. You will not be able to obtain a visa with less than six months validity.

Yes I guess I should. This process will take longer than I expected. A new Swedish Passport costs 6450bhat when made from the embassy and it takes 2 weeks. Work permit papers will be processed 2-3 weeks. So I guess I have to do my WP on this old passport anyway, as I think that my boss wants me to start ASAP. ( I will discuss this with him later today).

My plans are that I go back to Sweden in end of May for the summer or just shorter vacation. 

If I can continue working for this company I will not need the University 1 year visa-extension anyway. Will my passport expiring in Oct make it difficult to get a Non-B visa? It is for 3 months only without the extensions?