Grand Palace

laphroaig

On a previous visit to Bangkok I went to the palace and did the tourist thing one afternoon. I went by tax and actrually don't really know where I went in geographical terms.

In June, I want to visit again but have limited time. My wife and i arrive in Bangkok by train from Chiang Mai one evening and the following afternoon we need to go to the airport to fly out of Thailand. We will essentially have one morning free through to around 2 pm

My questions are:

Is the palace open to visitors in the mornings, and if so any idea what time.

Where is the palace situated (general area) so that I can book a nice hotel close by (rather than the dingy dumps i tend to stay in when I travel on my own)

Thanks

Map here:

http://www.thaiwaysmagazine.com/bangkok_ma...ttanakosin.html

One thing you may want to consider is staying along the river or skytrain. The Grand Palace is near the river, and near Khosan and Chinatown. Lots of hotels in those two areas.

There's a cheap commuter boat that runs along the river, hits Chinatown, the riverside hotels, and connects to the Saphan Taksin skytrain station. Then you can take the skytrain anywhere along there. Gives a lot more hotel options that way and I think the boat ride is an experience of its own.