The Sport Fishing Off Phuket Is Getting Worse By The Day

McFarang

Fellow Phuket & Thia & Farang Sportfishermen.

Yet again a blank day off Phuket round the Racha Islands where have all the Dorado,Wahoo,King Mackerel,even the once abundant Tuna gone?

This is not good news for the Local Longtails, sportfishermen and of course the Tourist Industry.

What is happening?

Over fishing by Commercial Trawlers that scoop up everything and I mean everything.

Is there a limit as to how close these Trawlers are allowed to fish? do they have mesh sizes for the nets ? who has the answers.

Most countries around the world have a 10 12 km limit sometimes more does Thailand because it does not look that way.

Only once in the past few years have I noticed the authorities actually catching Trawlers off Kata beach and imposing some sort of fine.

Comments please should we start a petition or are we just hitting our heads against a brick wall .

I would like to see the reaction of Thai Visa forum readers and maybe we can do something to improve the situation in this wonderful area that if policed properly could become a fishery to be proud of.

Thank You

President

Rawai Beach IGFA Fishing Club

Phuket

Sad news indeed

However, if the Thai's could scoop up the last fish today and sell it, they would and never worry about tomorrow

True... and shameful.

Common practices for entirely too many areas of the world. The solution(s) involve long, uphill trudges to (first) highlight a situation, defend or confirm these bad practices with well researched 'hard' facts, widely broadcast the findings, encourage 'self regulation' from the particular industry, then inform and lobby legislative avenues to enforce thoughtful long term solutions...

This process costs money... and time. The most direct route will be from industry insiders - producers of food products and sport fishermen. Educating commercial fishermen is the most daunting challenge ahead. Changing their perspectives requires tough decisions. A two or three year ban will certainly get their attention but the enforcement... well, this seems impossible.

Mature outlooks and behavior are the missing links...

Nothing will be done until everything is gone!!!

Sad news indeed

However, if the Thai's could scoop up the last fish today and sell it, they would and never worry about tomorrow

True... and shameful.

Common practices for entirely too many areas of the world. The solution(s) involve long, uphill trudges to (first) highlight a situation, defend or confirm these bad practices with well researched 'hard' facts, widely broadcast the findings, encourage 'self regulation' from the particular industry, then inform and lobby legislative avenues to enforce thoughtful long term solutions...

This process costs money... and time. The most direct route will be from industry insiders - producers of food products and sport fishermen. Educating commercial fishermen is the most daunting challenge ahead. Changing their perspectives requires tough decisions. A two or three year ban will certainly get their attention but the enforcement... well, this seems impossible.

Mature outlooks and behavior are the missing links...

post-69690-1267416459_thumb.jpgBig catch off the rocks....

FM505 good pointers.

There are areas where fishing bans are in place, Simlan Isl for example.

Rachas Isl generate a supportive income for local business, with the right people involved something could be done.

I Look forward to more constructive comments, any one interested in getting involved are incouraged to contact Neill President or myself Jay Vice President of the Rawai Beach Fishing Club

Edited by 69690jay

In my 2 years of living in Phuket I've caught a total of 1 wild fish.

Generally fishing at least twice a week...

I dont target the tiny fish but that stat speaks volumes...

I never fish salt water in Phuket now. Its a complete waste of time.

The fresh water scene is 80% as bad.

It is disgraceful this is allowed to happen as it will also destroy coral reefs. Trawling does not discriminate.

I suggest the mods move this to the Phuket Forum where it will reach a wider audience as this a serious issue that affects locals & tourists alike. Another story of the robber barons enriching themselves at the expense of all & sundry.

Edited by Valentine

Blanks happen, that's just fishing.

before drawing any conclusions I think the first step should be to establish whether others are running into the same problem.

If so, you'll find plenty of support not only from the well known charter boats, but also from local fishermen.

Blanks happen, that's just fishing.

before drawing any conclusions I think the first step should be to establish whether others are running into the same problem.

If so, you'll find plenty of support not only from the well known charter boats, but also from local fishermen.

Already getting the ball rolling having a meeting with the Local Sea Gypsies Leader to get their support and also talking to a Major Deep Sea Commercial Fishing Magnate that also has very large Tourism interests on the island.

Watch this space and hopefully with a little bit of Diplomacy and a lot of Support we might just get people to sit up and take notice.

A very good point about Trawlers Destroying Coral Reefs it certainly does.

Member of IGFA and the Billfish Foundation (A Catch & Release Club)

My husband is an avid fisherman in Koh Phangan, grew up there and recalls what it was like before the fishing trawlers stripped the reef clean of fish on a regular basis. These trawlers systematically work their way down the side of the island, fishing for sardines within meters of the reef. I recall one got a little too close, the net caught and pulled the boat under water. All the local fisherman on shore started cheering.

It went on for years, with local fishermen's catches getting smaller and smaller. Complaints to the Marine police etc fell on deaf ears. Owner of the boats was too high up the food chain.

So, they started going out in boats and shooting at the fishing trawlers. This went on for a bit and then the trawlers stopped coming so regularly. Price of diesel skyrocketed and they stopped coming altogether. The fish started bouncing back. They still come but not nearly as much as they used to, but I suspect the damage is done.

Good luck to you, you are going to need it.

Already getting the ball rolling having a meeting with the Local Sea Gypsies Leader to get their support and also talking to a Major Deep Sea Commercial Fishing Magnate that also has very large Tourism interests on the island.

Watch this space and hopefully with a little bit of Diplomacy and a lot of Support we might just get people to sit up and take notice.

A very good point about Trawlers Destroying Coral Reefs it certainly does.

Member of IGFA and the Billfish Foundation (A Catch & Release Club)

Overfishing is a global problem; the statistics for the decline in fish numbers are horrendous. Backed up by anecdotal evidence such as on this post.

Here in Europe there was an article today about the Atlantic Bluefin Tuna, down 85% since commercial fishing began. Various groups (EU, US, CITES) make noises, let's have a ban, the stocks need to recover. Sounds good? But the reality is that the ban doesn't go in until next year, and if as a country you disagree then you can register that you disagree and carry on sending out your commercial fishing fleets... So business as usual! Shark numbers are down dramatically, and they keep reefs healthy of course. Reefs are damaged by trawlers, the seas overrun by them - by some estimates 70% of global fish stocks are endangered or overfished. Another report, out last year, predicts the end of oceanic fish by 2050.

I can't see that the problems out at sea will be solved - the laws are either non-existant or not enforced. What's the solution? Probably the only hope is local groupings such as you suggest. I really hope you get somewhere - good luck.