Website, How?

pizzaman

Basically there are ones that are free and ones that aren't.

The ones that are free usually force ads all over your site. The server also resides in soemone else's office, but you have sole access to your files. The ones that aren't free don't have the ads and the server can either be in your own room or sitting in another country somewhere. So which one do you want?

First you need a Host for webspace to store your files. There are many free ones on the net (I believe Thai Visa lets you have 10mb, plenty for a newbee). When you sign up, they will allow you to put files on their server (pages) which joe public can access. Thats the easy bit.

Then you need to write your pages or get a company to do it for you. I am sure there will be many people from this forum falling over themselves to offer their services.

I notice no one really gave you any recommendations. you could check out cnet for some ideas, a free server is a good way to start out, that way you know for sure if it is what you need, also alot of them offer easy to use templates for setting up a website. go daddy offers very low cost domain name listings, but if you go with the free server for now you don't really need a domain name. I started with a free server just to see how it went, when it went well, and I had enough interest I then went with the domain name/paid server way. if you think your website could be popular avoid yahoo (geocities), apparently they will shut down your site periodically if it has too many page hits.

Yes. You need all of the above and a sense of art.
agreed!

and by the way, get someone to help, someone with experience on the job!

if you have some money to spend, make it nice, and let a professional do it for you,

but anyway, say what you like and what you don't, we all have different taste B)

as I guess, there some web-designer around here ... as I am :D

don't need art skill, why work hard when you can steal them, they are all over the net / don't mention my name i aint know nothing

:o that's the main reason, why we do protect any grafic uploaded to the web

we, designer don't like to work for leeches that come over with not any artistic skill,

and just steal other's work!

useless to talk about the lasies .....

shake your brain, and learn a bit, it is a lot more satisfying B)

...you use frontpage... (francois)

You guessed wrong!

One of the reasons my pages load fast, is because I know HTML rather well and able to code Web pages by hand. Hence, all pages are clean and optimized, no junk or useless tags! All existing HTML editors (including the FrontPage) lack that flexibility.

Furthermore, it's helpful to learm the basics of HTML Shrinker. For those who are interested in details, the link is found at the Web Mastering title.

Saying this, I probably should also mention that with the increased Internet speed (except for Thailand), the issue of pages weight (in KB) will have a lesser effect. More likely, the speed of server that hosts your files has a greater importance.

BTW, all these issues are also relevant to the online promotion, since they determined how fast and easy the search engines will get access and index the Web page.

Thailand for YOU

Saying this, I probably should also mention that with the increased Internet speed (except for Thailand), the issue of pages weight (in KB) will have a lesser effect. More likely, the speed of server that hosts your files has a greater importance.
oh, sorry if I hurt your skills in html B)

but I saw some code-line long like three screens ...

only frontpage produce code-lines so long B)

it's helpful to learm the basics of HTML Shrinker

right, very right ... did you? B)

but ... thinking that the speed on internet connection has no real importance is forgetting around 80% of the world ... including LOS :o

when, I start building a site, I always keep in mind that most of the users of the world don't have a fast connection, and for a lot of them, noP4 and so on, useless to talk about the screen size B)

what happens if you build in 1024x768 for people who see the web in 800x600?

it's boaring, have to move the page from left to right to read it all B)

what are the most important things for a web-site?

the connection's speed of the visitor? sure not!

a nice look and a fast loading page @ 28k ...

and far ahead ... a good ranking in search-engines!

don't you agree? B)

All existing HTML editors (including the FrontPage) lack that flexibility.

hum hum ... I do agree for frontpage, but don't say that for Dreamweaver :D

the one and only web-site editor that is really "flexible" like you say B)

we all have different method of working ...

I know some mad of the command-line, that think that only a manual programming can do a job properly ... isn't it turning the back to so many progress in web-building? B)

Dreamwever rules!

I have tried most web builders (including notepad). Dreamwever is probably one of the best. Perhaps we should start a new thread for all the techies

"Whats your favourite HTML Editor"

My favourites in order of preference...

1. Dreamwever.(Like it a lot)

2. Namo (Limited but quick)

3. Hot Dog. (Chews up my resources)

4. NotePad. (Painful but efficient).

99. Frontpage. (Microsoft bloatware and you have to have server with extensions to do anything decent)

I would like to think that my HTML,XML, PHP and PERL skills are fair to middling but my artistic ability sucks big time. I usually spend 1hr writing the web page then 20 hrs trying to get the logo right.....usually failing miserably :o

One last point-People that use just notpad to write entire sites are a bit like programmers who like assembly language!

The meaning of coding by hand is the use of Notepad or any other text processing program. I for one, use the UltraEdit. The main advantage it provides, is dispaying whatever you code (be it simple HTML, Perl, JavaScript, or whatever else) in the browser by click on the button. Very convenient feature.

I saw some code-line long like three screens ...
Sorry that I have to correct you again :o

The only reason for that is your Notepad don't have line breaks. More sophisticated text editors do have line breaks, so one can read the coding conveniently. But in any case, this is nothing to do with the html code itself. The less unneeded spaces and trims it have, the better (i.e. each space is equals to 1 additional byte). This issue is explained in the basics of HTML Shrinker, by the by. Just try to eliminate them, and you'll see that you can save ~20-30% and maybe more of your file size.

what are the most important things for a web-site?

Simply put, the ability to be found on the Web - i.e. PROMOTION, PROMOTION, PROMOTION. If nobody finds your site, why have to bother?

As you rightly said: "a good ranking in search-engines" - they bring the targeted visitors to you.

You can check the stats of my site, it is at the bottom of main page.

Speak to you later...

One last point-People that use just notpad to write entire sites are a bit like programmers who like assembly language!

hahahaha B)B)B)

I start the day with a good LOL B)B)

add-on; some still like and work with pascal language B):o

Notepad don't have line breaks. More sophisticated text editors do have line breaks, so one can read the coding conveniently. But in any case, this is nothing to do with the html code

might be right what you say, but how come that a code-page captured with lynx,

and then edited with both bluefish and then dreamweaver give me the same result?

may you're a little bit too techy for me :D

anyway, still and far in front any others : DREAMWEAVER !!!

coding, grafics, or both, it still writes the cleanest code I have ever seen B)

this is why I use it since version 2 B)

a little while ago B)

ps; lynx is a non-grafic Unix browser and Bluefish a pure GPL html editor :o

I for one, use the UltraEdit.

Ahh. The hacker's tool of choice!

Does't have syntax highlighting though.

I actually wrote my own for cleaning up HTML instead if a normal text editor. It has syntax highlighting and pars checking and works with HTML, XML, PHP,JAVA,PERL, SQL,C and Pascal.

But I only use it to clean up. I write the pages in Dreamweaver!

right, that's what I mean ...

work with Deramweaver and clean or check with something else, but I have to say, that since version6, it's not really necessary :o

right, that's what I mean ...

work with Deramweaver and clean or check with something else, but I have to say, that since version6, it's not really necessary :o

True. But it does have an anoying habit of putting in extra padding cells which are difficult to get rid of.

The purpose of HTML editors is to help in coding Web pages.

But... an actual work of creating pages is in editing the text - the content of your stuff. You can then format your pages (with the HTML tags) in a way you like it. This flexibility you can get if you can decide by yourself which tags to use in any specific case. For that, one need to know the HTML really well. And when one do, there is no editor that can do comparable work.

Furthermore, it's easier to learn HTML than how to operate various programs.

I noticed that the Geocities free sites (www geocities.com/your-name) rarely appear... on Google, etc...

Probably the first and most important thing is your own domain. Nowadays it's rather inexpensive, but necessary investment for online presence.

Free sites are rarely indexed by major search engines, and they are good for testing, experimenting only. There are cases that one want to keep some stuff (i.e. photos) online, and let friends to see them...

I personally don't know about Geosites paid hosting services, but... there are so many hosts available at all price ranges, so it will be wise to look around and compare. Since it is not too difficult to change the host, and most of them have the refund policy, I'd recommend to try several hosts, especially for novices.