Free Visa And US$10,000 Riot Insurance For Thailand Tourists Extended By One Year

webfact

With all the complaining about the baht being over valued maybe you should ask Gordon Brown and other European leaders what they have all done to their currencies to devalue against the baht....The Banks in Thailand did not get into the subprime markets etc etc which have bought the UK European and USA markets to their knees.....USA is coming out of it but I fear the other two have still some way to fall...IMYHO if I was brit I would bring enough money into Thailand now before the rate drops to the low 40's

Spot on. I will only comment on the USA, of which I am more aware.

We have been so greedy in the USA that these 18 year olds getting out of school purchased 2000 sq meter homes without any money to furnish them, or cars to park in them, the highly adjustable rate goes up by a measly basis point and swooosh! Foreclosure.

The political leaders not only sat idly by and did nothing, but were in collusion with these uneducated IDIOT homeowners and GREEDY, THIEVING banks.

Meanwhile, back in Thailand, as in many Asian cultures, they were not as foolish. Cash is King.

Maybe the previous posters are right, it's NOT the Thai Baht that should be de-valued, other currencies should be re-evaluated.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the WAAAAAY off topic Admin.....

Agreed.

How about some useful information on the actual insurance offered apart from the usual this is a rubbish idea/it'll never work/TIT. Does anyone actually have any or should we continue the discusions about Vietnam and the current state of the Baht vs numerous currencies??!?!?!

Edited by JimmyChoons

If they want more tourist they should devalue the baht. I live here and its getting too bloody expensive. They just dont have a clue.

People think tourism is so important in Thailand, because that is there only experience there. It is 6% of GNP. Rice is 40%. The baht began its climb right after trade agreements with Japan. My hunch is the value of the baht is a thermostat for how much rice goes to Japan, so as to not flood or dominate. It's just a theory, but it was, 'okay you can trade rice and other products, but the baht has to go up'.

<< Feel free to tear that theory apart, or confirm it; but you can NOT think that tourism has the 'muscle' to affect the value, or the value of expats pension monies and whether they now do not quailfy fo visas.

---------------------

Oh, here is a 'free' idea to encourage tourism. Instead of that complicated tax refund program, , they could supply some type of 'purchase' cards that automatically cancels the taxes when swiped.

-------------

What they really have to do is come up with a solution for the gang and gang warfare problem in Thailand, the reds, the yellows, the browns, the blues, the blacks.

Jailing known terrorists who occupy international airports and disrupt international conferences would be a good first step.

-------------

The thing about Thailand, compared to the West, is 70% that are apolitical in the West are the Silnet Majority and have great influence on who runs the governments. In Thailand the same group is the Muted Majority. They stand squarely behind whoever comes out on top. They LET the drunk drivers get behind the wheels of running the country.

Edited by eggomaniac

Lately I've been thinking it's funny, I work in afghanistan (terrorist war zone) and holiday in Thailand (rioting LOS) wonder if some insurance would be a good idea for non working hours. And today the light at the end of the tunnel turns on Riot insurance, now all I have to do is find a way to cover the other half my life war zone insurance. :)

This was funny , but this with the Visas and !0 T Dollar Insurence .

it a Joke from them

Sorry for the WAAAAAY off topic Admin.....

Agreed.

How about some useful information on the actual insurance offered apart from the usual this is a rubbish idea/it'll never work/TIT. Does anyone actually have any or should we continue the discusions about Vietnam and the current state of the Baht vs numerous currencies??!?!?!

Since youre so eager to address the "useful information on the actual insurance offered", would you be so kind to enlighten us?

Or are you simply waiting for someone to enlighten you?

I think we westerners have very little talking room. From the Wall Street Journal, Feb 23, 2010;

"Thailand's GDP grew at its quickest pace in 10 years, expanding 3.6% in the fourth quarter from the July-September period. Compared with a year earlier, GDP rose 5.8%. Exports, tourism and agriculture all rebounded, leading the government to upgrade its 2010 forecasts. On a seasonally adjusted, annualized basis, the Thai economy grew 15.3%, according to Barclays Capital. "

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405...3478387802.html

So whether tourism is 6% or 8%, I think this is a sign of a rational and pro-active government. Again, many of us in the west have little talking room.

how many people are required to be classified as a riot ? if it's not too many, can't we just hire 1,000 motorbike drivers slap on a couple of red shirts on them and collect the 10,000 usd ? 3k per person to get 300k baht, that's a 10000% return on investment, sounds like a winner to me.

Edited by eldar1

I don't care if they give this riot insurance or not. But from a marketing stand point telling people not to worry we will insure you for riots if you come is not the wisest ad campaign. Donald Trump would be saying "your fired" :)

I can just see the TOT blurb

" Thailand-Land of Smiles. Enjoy the tranquility and harmony of a place where people have co-existed peacefully for centuries. ( Free riot insurance included. Offer ends Jan 2011) "

I guess we can only pray that it will not ntake them too long to see that the strength of the baht is unsustainable for tourist purposes as well as exports and they let it devalue. we can hope!!

Oh, so the Baht is a currency that the Thai government can devalue at will? How would they do that? Will there be any other consequences, apart from making it cheaper for tourists?

You seem to have thought it out, so I am curious to learn from you.

Now if they really wanted to boost arrivals, TOT should offer free tourist visas plus one full body massage..... that would help :)

I agree. The Telephone Organization of Thailand (TOT) should give massages by telephone. That would be really amazing.

People think tourism is so important in Thailand, because that is there only experience there. It is 6% of GNP. Rice is 40%. The baht began its climb right after trade agreements with Japan. My hunch is the value of the baht is a thermostat for how much rice goes to Japan, so as to not flood or dominate. It's just a theory, but it was, 'okay you can trade rice and other products, but the baht has to go up'.

<< Feel free to tear that theory apart, or confirm it; but you can NOT think that tourism has the 'muscle' to affect the value, or the value of expats pension monies and whether they now do not quailfy fo visas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Thailand states the following information:

GDP by sector agriculture (11.4%), industry (44.5%), services (44.1%) (2008 est.)

Tourism does not even make mention (perhaps due to Wikipedias lack complete information) however Rice (under Agricalture) is less than 11.4% of GDP. Industry is 44.5%. I know for a fact we have a lot of tinned food made/packaged in Thailand here in NZ. We also have a lot of electronics coming in with Thai power connnections.

Out of curiousity, is Nana, Patpong and Soi Cowboy coming under the "services" section of this?

Also, does the stampede generated from pulling out a substantial amount of money in any of the above establishments classify as being able to claim for riot insurance?

But seriously folks, does anyone have any facts? I am heading over in a month to see my beautiful's family with her, and would like to know where I stand with things. She perhaps is less lucky, still being a Thai citizen :)

Oh, so the Baht is a currency that the Thai government can devalue at will? How would they do that? Will there be any other consequences, apart from making it cheaper for tourists?

TomBkk, absolutely - the RBT (Reserve Bank of Thailand) hedge against the USD (just like China, and various other export dependant Asian economies). Market conditions still have an effect on the USD/THB rate, however it is typically within 32-34 per USD range.

Here in NZ, we have a currency fluctionation from anywhere between 21-26 baht per NZD. Other countries (such as UK) have it even worse.

To devalue the baht, all they need to do is devalue it against the USD by buying USD and selling Baht on the global market :) Or, they could print more money (though I suspect they already do that, my notes are always strangely brand new when I withdraw from a SCB ATM, even in Udon Thani).

" Thailand-Land of Smiles. Enjoy the tranquility and harmony of a place where people have co-existed peacefully for centuries. ( Free riot insurance included. Offer ends Jan 2011) "

On your arrival In Bangkok collect your free Riot Gear Pack ............And enjoy your stay in Thailand :)

I am confused 2 months ago they wanted to do away with the normal tourists for the more Paris Hilton style. The rich tourists, what happened to this ploy. Now they are offering insurance for the normal tourists. Who do they want???????

Right now they want anyone with money not bothered by the bank bombings/potential for riots, after the dust settles they won't want those "brave" tourists anymore, as most "brave" tourists don't have the kind of money they want to attract.

...tourism arrivals for 2009 dropped 3 percent over those in 2008, resulting in an 8 percent drop in revenue to Bt527 billion (about $US16 billion)

I wonder how they got these figures?

Looks like they 've got themselves a Greek accountant or, if the three percent drop of tourists are responsible for 8 percent of revenue loss, we must have lost all the Paris Hiltons who spend millions on their holidays while 'normal people' where still coming to visit Thailand because they love and support this beautiful country even if times aren't that great.

Just a thought.

On your arrival In Bangkok collect your free Riot Gear Pack ............And enjoy your stay in Thailand :)

I smell a business opportunity here:

For just 4000 baht a day, join the Thai Police anti-riot squad. You will be provided with riot gear, baton, and for just 2,000 baht more, your own exploding CS gas canister. Be sure to notify your tour operator at time of booking if you'd like to bash in the skulls of those wearing red or yellow t-shirts. Those that fail to specify color will have one assigned to them on arrival. Guaranteed to split the skull of at least 1 Thai protester, or recieve a 75% discount on a future outing.

** Optional rental of yellow Hummer and automatic weapons is only available at our Pattaya location.

I guess we can only pray that it will not ntake them too long to see that the strength of the baht is unsustainable for tourist purposes as well as exports and they let it devalue. we can hope!!

I think it is the BOT that has to devalue the Baht not the government. However, apart from giving tourists better value the 2 benifits of devaluing the Baht that spring to mind immediately are 1. Thailand would be more competitive in exporting products and 2. It would help attract foreign investment

I think we westerners have very little talking room. From the Wall Street Journal, Feb 23, 2010;

"Thailand's GDP grew at its quickest pace in 10 years, expanding 3.6% in the fourth quarter from the July-September period. Compared with a year earlier, GDP rose 5.8%. Exports, tourism and agriculture all rebounded, leading the government to upgrade its 2010 forecasts. On a seasonally adjusted, annualized basis, the Thai economy grew 15.3%, according to Barclays Capital. "

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405...3478387802.html

So whether tourism is 6% or 8%, I think this is a sign of a rational and pro-active government. Again, many of us in the west have little talking room.

Good post, Ding. Thanks for sharing.

If they want more tourist they should devalue the baht. I live here and its getting too bloody expensive. They just dont have a clue.

---------------------

Oh, here is a 'free' idea to encourage tourism. Instead of that complicated tax refund program, , they could supply some type of 'purchase' cards that automatically cancels the taxes when swiped.

-------------

What they really have to do is come up with a solution for the gang and gang warfare problem in Thailand, the reds, the yellows, the browns, the blues, the blacks.

Jailing known terrorists who occupy international airports and disrupt international conferences would be a good first step.

-------------

The thing about Thailand, compared to the West, is 70% that are apolitical in the West are the Silnet Majority and have great influence on who runs the governments. In Thailand the same group is the Muted Majority. They stand squarely behind whoever comes out on top. They LET the drunk drivers get behind the wheels of running the country.

Such a ludicrous statement. Please research your" facts" before you state them…

Agriculture (2008) around 8-9%

Tourism (2008) around 6%

And yes, rice is included in "agriculture".

Interesting numbers from Wikipedia:

Agriculture/Fishing accounts for only 8.4% of GDP, but employed 42.6% of the population.

Manufacturing accounts for 43.9% of GDP, but employed only 14% of the workforce.

Biggest trading partners in order are:

Japan

China

USA